www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lower Niagara River
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:39 pm 
Shark

A couple of weeks ago we decided to take the boat to Lewiston and check out the Lower Niagara river as opposed to the Upper Niagara River, can't run from Upper to the Lower as the Falls are in the way. Anyway we launched at Lewiston and went out to Lake Ontario. Nice lake just boring unless you want to go to Tororto. (We didn't). So we went back up river to the Lewiston/Queenston Bridge. Just passed that is the no go zone. Anyway we didn't quite get to the bridge as the whirlpools although only small they sure kicked the boat around. Just cruising at about 10-15 mph could not keep a straight line got throne from side to side, no rocking just a weird felling like someone else have the steering wheel and didn't want to take any risk by increasing speed so we headed back. I have been out on the Whirlpool Jet Boat ride and that was awesome, so I will leave the whirlpools to them. Upper Niagara River and Lake Erie are more exciting in general and more fun with wakes and waves.

Staying Safe

Post subject: Re: Lower Niagara River
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:31 am 
email admin your custom rank

Ya shoulda let me know you were coming, a couple of weeks ago we had the power boat regatta, floating band barge, cookout, beer games, etc. Lake Ontario IS fun if ya go down the coast line a bit. 4 mile creek area, Porter On The Lake, Wilson harbor. All good places to hang out. Ain't those currents fun by Lewiston? You described them perfectly, feels like someone else steering the boat.

While your correct that the upper Niagara is a bit more exciting, I find it too packed with weekend warriors with the ol' "Hold my beer and watch this!" mentality. The lower river is definitely a bit more laid back, most peeps just cruise around or float with the current. If ya ever decide to come back, give a shout, first beers on me. 8)

Oh, lower river tip, launch at Youngstown, we don't charge $8 bucks like Lewiston does 8)

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

Post subject: Re: Lower Niagara River
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:33 am 
email admin your custom rank

We love Wilson, we stay at the Wilson Boatyard a few times a year - typically when we need fuel! We also winter our boat here and save a LOT of money.