www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:14 pm 
Tadpole

We currently have a 1993 Horizon 190. We boat on the Great Lakes and other places where we often need to use the full camper canvas. This is the clear side curtains and stern canvas that zips to the bimini top. This setup has kept us dry and worked well.

We love the Horizon line and are looking to upgrade to a 2003-2008 of the same size, which would generally be the 210. I notice that any Horizon for these years that is less than a 230 does not list camper canvas as an option. The newer bimini is the taller style (very nice) and it appears the windshields don't have snaps on the top for clear camper canvas sections that would attach to the bimini top.

Has anyone done the camper canvas (front, sides and back) for a 2003-2008 Horizon 210 or 220? I have a local canvas shop that says they can do this type of work (about $2000) but I want to know that it functionally works.

Thanks for the help!
Dennis

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:34 pm 
Minnow

Hi!
Sorry I can't let you know if this type of arrangement works but...we are dropping off our new to us 2007 Horizon 190 on the 14th of this month for this exact canvas work. Hope to have it back by Memorial Day!
Many boats have the same canvas here in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire. When I asked on a local forum (Winnipesaukee Forum our "big lake" in NH) everyone said "do it, you'll never regret it"
Our canvas man is charging $1900 for the work. We're getting windshield connector with walk thru zippers, side curtains and aft curtain with window all attached to our "tall" Bimini with reinforced zippers. We have a fairly short summer here in NH with lots of pop up storms and wind which can make your day on an "open" Bowrider miserable. It seems like a no brainer to have the enclosure available on a moment's notice to offer protection from the weather when needed.
Good luck in your hunt for a newer Horizon!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:01 pm 
Starfish

I bought a '05 210 Horizon in 2013, making me the second owner, and yes, it has the camper canvas. The normal bimini and the bimini extension are both tall enough that I can fit under them standing up, and I'm 6'4". I've never used the front or side curtains (Isinglass), but they attach to male ended snaps atop the windshield and side windows, and the rear screen canvas attaches with U shaped bungee cords to the knobs along the back of the boat, before the swim platform. Nice option, just never used it.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:45 am 
Tadpole

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know others are doing this. Spring and Fall boating in MI can bring the need for the coverage it provides.

Also now looking at newer used H210's. Saw some nice 2012+ style models. Looks like it would also require a custom job to add camper canvas to them as well. Happy boating all!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:58 am 
email admin your custom rank

We had the factory camper canvas/isinglass enclosure for our 190. We always brought the complete system with us. We had the option to use nothing, have a bimini for shade, or as much enclosure as we needed for cold temps, rain, or overnight enclosure. Many enclosures may not be completely sealed against insects. Bring along a roll of paper towels that can be used for many purposes, including filling a gap in a corner between canvas and boat. We had many occasions where an unexpected thunderstorm or rain shower popped up. We were able to readjust the factory bimini and make a suntop that attached to the top of the windshield with a piece of canvas that we had custom made. We are usually boating on the St. Croix and Mississippi rivers near Minneapolis. A typical day of boating might take us 10 miles to more than 70 miles away from the boat ramp. We always thought the camper enclosure was very well worth the money.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:22 am 
Minnow

Hillcountry wrote:
Hi!
Sorry I can't let you know if this type of arrangement works but...we are dropping off our new to us 2007 Horizon 190 on the 14th of this month for this exact canvas work. Hope to have it back by Memorial Day!
Many boats have the same canvas here in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire. When I asked on a local forum (Winnipesaukee Forum our "big lake" in NH) everyone said "do it, you'll never regret it"
Our canvas man is charging $1900 for the work. We're getting windshield connector with walk thru zippers, side curtains and aft curtain with window all attached to our "tall" Bimini with reinforced zippers. We have a fairly short summer here in NH with lots of pop up storms and wind which can make your day on an "open" Bowrider miserable. It seems like a no brainer to have the enclosure available on a moment's notice to offer protection from the weather when needed.

Hello! We are also on Lake Winnipesaukee. What part of the lake are you on? We are over in Meredith across from Bear Island. And if you don't mind me asking, who is doing your canvas work?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:37 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Isn't venting a concern with the camper top on h210 models? If using the loop ties at rear of sun pad, the blower vents would now be inside the camper. At least on my model h210. The intake and exhaust are just below the sun pad at the swim deck.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:00 pm 
Starfish

The blower vents on a '05 210 are port side, outside any cover.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:53 pm 
Tadpole

Hey all,

Thanks for the responses!
Found our new boat - 2012 H210. Just picked it up in KY this weekend. Can't wait to get out on the water after the paperwork is done. Will have to get the camper canvas sometime soon. I recognize the venting issue on this model with the vents on the top of the transom, above the snaps for the cockpit cover. My thought is that we'll have to leave some sort of opening in the aft cover for these. I'll mention that to the guy that does the canvas. I'll let you all know what happens. Might be a while though, as we want to use the boat and not have it in the canvas shop right now. We'll see.

Oh, and 93 H190 will soon be for sale....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:05 pm 
Minnow

NHBoaters wrote:
Hillcountry wrote:
Hi!

Hello! We are also on Lake Winnipesaukee. What part of the lake are you on? We are over in Meredith across from Bear Island. And if you don't mind me asking, who is doing your canvas work?

Sorry I haven't checked this forum in a couple of weeks...we are not on the lake and closer to Newfound. Village Canvas in Meredith (Bev Lapham) is doing the work on our H190 and we should be picking it up later this week. I'll post some pictures of the enclosure when we get it home.