Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:56 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Having owned 3 VWs, I can relate.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:09 am 
Seahorse

I've spent the last few nights cleaning things up...I hit the green stripe with a cutting compound and I'm blown away with the results...(this is early in the process, I finished all the green last night and tonight I start on the white)

I also undid the 12 or so screws holding the floor over the gas tank out (by hand, because the batteries on my screw gun apparently decided to both die last night) and I was surprise to find this...should I be worried that this look like regular wood, not sealed or pressure treated?

Does anyone know of any place that reproduces the "wave" decal? I've found the bronze/teal straight tape, but the "wave" decal is pretty torn up on both sides.

Thanks
Eric

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:32 am 

Regarding the Four Winns Squiggle Emblem:
I had some vinyl decals made for my trailer that look like this:

For the Squiggle Emblem, I sent them a .DXF file that I drew of the squiggles. Anyone who wants my DXF file can PM me and I'll email it to you. The font used for "FOUR WINNS" is called Friz Quadratta and is not in my DXF file...only the squiggles.

Ray

Stay tuned... LouC is about to give you information on the wood floor and the negatives of glued in carpet...

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

Last edited by rpengr on Thu May 12, 2016 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:40 am 

glued in boat carpet is the devil !!!! this is why i now have nonskid and fiberglass.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:55 am 
Seahorse

Thanks for the decal ideas rpengr, but the "wave" (for lack of a better term...) that I'm looking for is this one:

It's beat up on both sides, and although I found the straight line tape of the correct color, I can't find this one. I called Fourwinns and they don't have it anymore. Anyone got any ideas?

BTW, I'm finally done cleaning and waxing for now...trying to find the right time to take it to the river and get it into the slip...maybe tonight???

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:17 am 

your best bet would ne to contact a local vinyl wrap business and take the boat to them so that they can trace the existing SWOOP, can it into their computer and recreate it out of a similar color vinyl and apply it for you.

Just and FYI the 1" trim accent stripes for my Horizon, a factory roll for the boat on ebay right now is $80 shipped and i find that STUPID. i am sure that a shop will charge you less than $100 or right at $100 for the material and instal. As for finding a factory one good luck and dont hold your breath. In 3 year this is the first accent strip factory original that i have found. I have chose to keep the couple spots that are not perfect and spend that money on beer or bikini babes or another boat part.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:43 am 
Seahorse

It's not even that I'm in love with the decals, it's that they've been on for so many years, you'd be able to tell right where they were by the unfaded paint. My boat's not in perfect shape, but I'd like it to be as presentable as possible, so I'm not sure which way to go.

Eric

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:39 am 

allow me to pitch an idea. in the busted scuffed are remove a small piece. a test spot thats small and will go unnoticed. now compound, buff, polish, wax that spot and see if it blends. if so remove all of the decals and do the restor detail process to the entire green stripe. and then run NO decals. worst cas you have the stripe painted or easy Wrapped vinyl same color.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:06 am 

Jdpber wrote:
allow me to pitch an idea. in the busted scuffed are remove a small piece. a test spot thats small and will go unnoticed. now compound, buff, polish, wax that spot and see if it blends. if so remove all of the decals and do the restor detail process to the entire green stripe. and then run NO decals. worst cas you have the stripe painted or easy Wrapped vinyl same color.

I agree with this.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:07 am 
Seahorse

Jdpber wrote:

A very sound idea...and I'll certainly give it a try when I pull the boat back out...

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:24 am 
Seahorse

I thought I'd update you guys with the latest activity....We're IN THE WATER! I just couldn't wait any loner, I was dying to get in and see how this thing runs. Very successful first cruise, with the exception of the VDO gauges. They seemed to work fine on land, but once in the water, the speedo is non functioning, and the trim display doesn't seem to respond...but hell, that's what the winter is for right?

Backing down..(this is as close as my wife would venture as I was heading down)

Last night, just stopped by to see if it was still floating (it is) and if the boat yard moved it to our slip yet (they hadn't)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:28 am 
Dolphin

partsman wrote:
It's not even that I'm in love with the decals, it's that they've been on for so many years, you'd be able to tell right where they were by the unfaded paint. My boat's not in perfect shape, but I'd like it to be as presentable as possible, so I'm not sure which way to go.

Eric

Mine were in terrible shape too so I completely removed them two summers ago. The first year you could tell pretty easily, last year it was a little better. I expect when I get to the compound/wax process this year you'd have to look hard to notice it at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:55 am 

partsman wrote:
Very successful first cruise, with the exception of the VDO gauges. They seemed to work fine on land, but once in the water, the speedo is non functioning, and the trim display doesn't seem to respond...but hell, that's what the winter is for right?

I wonder if they don't work because of the engine/outdrive conversion from VP to Merc?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:24 am 
Seahorse

GottWhat wrote:
I wonder if they don't work because of the engine/outdrive conversion from VP to Merc?

I don't know about the speedo, but the trim display gauge was working on land, and all the other gauges seem to be ok at this point. I will say that the trim gauge seemed to be slow to respond...I would move the outdrive and the gauge would "catch up" if you know what I mean.