www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My new Horizon 190
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:05 pm 
Minnow

I bought the boat back in October, but I am a new member to the fourm. I am very glad to be part of the Four Winns familey. I just wanted to say hi and I am here. I am 27 and have had three previous older boats. I am excited to have a new boat, and think that I have made the right choice in choosing a Four Winns. I am planning on taking her back out this Sunday. Do I really need to wait the 20hrs of break in until I pull skiers? I have not read anything in my owners manual about that, but I have read on the fourm that I should wait.

Cheers to you all,
Josh

Post subject: Re: My new Horizon 190
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:41 am 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome aboard Josh
It is a beautiful boat. Your tower makes me want one for mine….........

PS: I am jealous about you can take her out now….. It is all iced up around here in northe east...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:31 am 
Minnow

Flying Sushi wrote:
Welcome aboard Josh
It is a beautiful boat. Your tower makes me want one for mine….........

PS: I am jealous about you can take her out now….. It is all iced up around here in northe east...

I feel pretty lucky to be able to enjoy my boat year round. It is kind of weird that more people don't use their boats year round out here. It drops into the 60's and people start saying it is too cold to boat. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:00 am 

Glad to see your pics of your nice setup. Waiting 20 hours is not a requirement if you do it right. If you avoid opening the throttle up all the way for more than a second or two, and vary your speeds a bit if you're pulling someone for an extended period, it should be fine.

I'm still convinced that 20 hour break-in is total garbage and is more aimed at first-time boaters so that they might get a feel for the boat in that time before running at higher speeds and pulling people doing watersports.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:05 am 
Just Chillin

I was told one time that the best broken in boats are the ones that are not beaten, but also not babied. It is good to stretch out the RPM range but not to wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:44 pm 
Goldfish

Hey, I just bought an '03 H190! I haven't had a chance to really use it yet... just got it wet a little. Can't wait for the weather to break here in Portland so I can get out on the water!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:25 pm 
Guppy

Like the others have said, no WOT and vary your speed. Also, too much time at idle speed is also discouraged during the break in period. I've owned a Horizon 240 and currently a 200 and a Vista 328. You picked a great boat brand. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:02 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I'm kinda curious how all that break-in stuff comes out. I ran mine for more than just a minute or two at WOT during the test drive. Of course, I wasn't in the market yet, so I thought I'd just abuse it. Ah well, that's what the extended warranty is for, right?
Welcome to the club. Nice tower, glad my dealer talked me into getting one as well.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:15 am 
Seahorse

Josh, Welcome for more than one reason. I am also Josh, and i also own a 190, and I am also 27 years of age. My baby is a little bit older (2001) so I'm a bit jealous. I will tell you, I've had this baby for 7 years now, and she still gets the head turns that a new 190 gets. That's what you get to look forward to 7 years from now and you will for sure be happy you chose a FOUR WINNS!!! Congrats Buddy!!!

Tailgating: University of Kentucky vs. Florida State University, December 31 2007, Cumberland River Nashville, Tn: The Coliseum LP Field (Home of the Tennessee Titans) . C-A-T-S Cats, Cats, Cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Daytime Temp: 53 F, Night Temp: too damn cold to have a Four Winns in the water, but we did it anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:29 am 
Minnow

I want to thank everyone for the advice and positive comments. I am very glad to have found this site. I think I will put the wet suit on tomorrow and do some wakeboarding. :D If I take any pics I will post them.

Happy boating to you all,
Josh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:39 pm 
Sting Ray

Quote:
I feel pretty lucky to be able to enjoy my boat year round. It is kind of weird that more people don't use their boats year round out here. It drops into the 60's and people start saying it is too cold to boat. :lol:

Welcome and nice boat! We decided on an H200 but sure liked the 190's our dealer had last fall. Really like your wakeboard tower.

Same situation for me in San Antonio, I don't know why more folks aren't out there. We went out last weekend and the lake was nearly deserted. I figure most folks are busy with football. We went out for a few hours in the morning, and came back for football after! Gave us a great opportunity to practice launching/loading, etc. with no stress and no audience. (1st boat for me)

We've also been keeping the boat in the garage at home (benefit of smaller bowrider) and it keeps it warm when we dip down to 30 degrees some nights. 55-60 just makes it better for coffee and tunes on the boat. It does tend to get windy in the afternoon and we figure that's also why the lake isn't busier. I'm waiting to pull skiers until after we pass 20hrs this spring. Bought our boat in September and only have 10 hrs on it.

Canyon Lake, TX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:42 pm 
Goldfish

Josh, we have the same boat and tower in the black trim. I babied mine the first 20 hours going fast and slow as per directions, and then let her rip for the next 100 hours or so. I did get the 20 hour check and leg oil re/re. I wish we lived somewhere a little warmer. We started early April wearing as many clothes as we could, and then partied right through to the parkas again in late October. We love our boat to death. It can take some pretty big water if you don’t mind clenching a bit. I don’t know about your area but some of our lakes kick up pretty good in the afternoons. Best of all I can handle the boat by myself when leaving the beach. I also developed a neat trick with a rope loop tied onto one of the bow cleats as a foot hold/leg up so I can get a bit of a running start on a windy day and haul my carcass into the bow. That’s just the lakes. What fun to be had playing in a flood tide in the Fraser River. That sucker moves quick. Some quick lessons in paying attention and all was well. We also tried the ocean numerous times. It was lots of fun getting the boat to surf the rollers. Also found out what a two foot cross chop was at the tide line. Not nice water. Again, it’s a great boat.

As for the Admiral... A happy wife is a happy life.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:34 pm 

That tower looks great with the integrated bimini. Nice choice of options.

Also great scenery, beats looking at snow :cry:

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:53 pm 

Nice boat Josh.

If I recall the run in before sustained running at WOT was something like 5 hours. If you are pulling a skier up you will only have WOT for a few seconds anyway, then back it off, so I wouldn't hesitate at all about pulling a skier right now. Absolute worst thing that could happen is a microscopic bit of bore wear.

You want to see how Chev do the factory tests on these motors when they build 'em - start 'em on propane, then rev the hell out of them for the next 20 seconds to check everything including max horsepower!

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:31 pm 
Minnow

Thank you all for your advice. I haven’t done any wakeboarding yet, still teaching the wife how to drive. Hopefully I can go back out next weekend.