www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:40 pm 
Sting Ray

I bought a new 2015 H180 OB last year and I'm already thinking ahead to things breaking, failing, etc.

So for you long-time boaters, are there any OEM parts you'd recommend I buy now before they are discontinued?

Windshield latch?
Swim ladder?
Matching pull-up cleat?
Fuel sender?
Stern light?
Touch up gelcoat paint?
Grab handle?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:45 pm 
230 Mike

Good on you for thinking ahead. Any windshield parts are always good. Getting an identical boarding ladder later on could be a problem, but you'd need to decide how likely it'll be that you'd ever need to replace it vs. the money and space it will consume in the mean time. For lights, I'd recommend replacing all of them with LED's now, and taking careful note of the original bulb numbers and the LED's you use to replace them. They're standard, so you shouldn't have a problem replacing them later. Any decals/tapes are a good thing to have. Gel coat can usually be obtained and has a limited shelf life, so that would probably be money wasted (other than possibly one of the "emergency" gel coat kits from West Marine, etc.).

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:57 am 
email admin your custom rank

As the owner of a 16 year old boat, I'm not having trouble finding anything I need. The only thing that concerns me in the future is upholstery items...but they are too expensive to buy spares I don't need.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:19 am 

Replaced a pull-up cleat a few years ago with one that looked exactly the same. No trouble at all finding one.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:31 pm 

Those curved windshields are the things that cost a mint and get discontinued after a while. However these are so expensive that most would not buy them as spares. I prefer the old style straight glass like my boat has that can be easily replaced by any glass shop with tempered glass...
As far as upholstery instead of re doing the old seats I got seats that matched the rest of the interior colors for much less than what re doing the OE stuff would have cost. If you keep it covered the OE seats will likely last as long as you have it.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:30 am 

LouC wrote:
Those curved windshields are the things that cost a mint and get discontinued after a while. However these are so expensive that most would not buy them as spares. I prefer the old style straight glass like my boat has that can be easily replaced by any glass shop with tempered glass...
As far as upholstery instead of re doing the old seats I got seats that matched the rest of the interior colors for much less than what re doing the OE stuff would have cost. If you keep it covered the OE seats will likely last as long as you have it.

A++ on this one.. I have a 97 and had the front drivers window blow out last fall .. They found a new one for me but it cost me $2200 once all was all said and done...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:05 am 

CaptainADK wrote:
Windshield latch? Maybe
Swim ladder? Generally, these are repairable. Kind of expensive to have a spare.
Matching pull-up cleat? Maybe
Fuel sender? Generic -- Readily available
Stern light? I do wish I had a spare, because replacements do not fit my socket.
Touch up gelcoat paint? Good to find out the colors and keep the color codes on file
Grab handle? Should stay available for a long time.

Re-thinking your original list, I added the above comments.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:38 pm 

Toddely wrote:
LouC wrote:

A++ on this one.. I have a 97 and had the front drivers window blow out last fall .. They found a new one for me but it cost me $2200 once all was all said and done...

As a comparison....I replaced 2 pieces of tempered glass on my boat each one I was able to get from the original supplier, the $$ was about 100 for each piece and I was able to easily replace them myself.
Doesn't boat insurance cover big expenses like that?

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:52 pm 

My 16 year old hatches are in great shape except for a set of these little things for my forward hatch. If anyone has a spare, let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:54 pm 

CaptainADK wrote:
I bought a new 2015 H180 OB last year and I'm already thinking ahead to things breaking, failing, etc.

So for you long-time boaters, are there any OEM parts you'd recommend I buy now before they are discontinued?

Windshield latch?
Swim ladder?
Matching pull-up cleat?
Fuel sender?
Stern light?
Touch up gelcoat paint?
Grab handle?

Off topic, but did you happen to buy that boat from Burke's Marina on Raquette Lake? Red? I test drove it and almost bought it, except I was lacking a tow vehicle at the time. I too am in the Adirondacks, near Sacandaga lake. I found a 95 Horizon 190 for a good price that I might go and bring home next weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:28 am 
Sting Ray

Mine is navy blue. But yes, I bought it at Burke's. Nice, low-pressure, family-run shop!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:18 pm 

LouC wrote:
Toddely wrote:
LouC wrote:

As a comparison....I replaced 2 pieces of tempered glass on my boat each one I was able to get from the original supplier, the $$ was about 100 for each piece and I was able to easily replace them myself.
Doesn't boat insurance cover big expenses like that?

Yep is sure did , thank god. lol they actually had to remove the starboard side window and realign it. took them some time , the shop did a fantastic job. they actually stored my boat inside all winter for me as well. Cant beat that deal..

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:39 pm 

With a 2015 I wouldn't worry until 2020 and maybe not even then. With then number of them made the spare parts should be around until then even is they stopped production tomorrow. Mine is 8 years old and I can't think of anything I wouldn't be able to find easily.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:04 am 
230 Mike

What's really more important is to know the manufacturer, model, and part number information on as many components on your boat as possible. I recommend keeping a document somewhere listing all of that along with specifications, etc. It took a few years to get mine to the point where I feel it's 95% complete. With every maintenance/repair that you do, ask yourself if you've got anything new to add to your document.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:02 pm 
Sting Ray

Yeah, I've started bookmarking links online but need to write it all down. Some parts are from really obscure manufacturers. Those are the ones I worry about most!