www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FW retractable cleats
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:53 pm 
email admin your custom rank

We were tied up to another boat this weekend and swimming when a buddy noticed that our ropes had come undone. Went to check on it and was shocked to find the retractable part of the cleat on my 2007 h200 just popped right off and was still tied to the rope which hanging in the water! :shock:

It was the port side stern cleat... It doesn't look like the threads stripped, but I have not had a chance to look for where the bolts may have gone on the inside of the boat. I bet they are really hard to reach to get this back together :-(

I guess I'm going to have to repair this one and tighten all the others... anyone else have this happen?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:41 pm 
230 Mike

Thats a new one on me.

Here's a link to them though, as a starting point.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/neat-cleat

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:23 pm 

Just thought I'd follow up on this one. The retractable cleat hardware ended up unharmed. It is just the screws and washers that came off on the reverse side. No big surprise here, as most of the fit and finish hardware in my '07 H200 has come loose as well (seats, dash, etc). Finding a nut or washer rolling around after a day at the lake is a very common thing with a FW boat apparently.

Unfortunately the cleat screws are nearly impossible to reach because of the way FW decided to mold the fiberglass. I tried using a camera mounted inside the engine compartment connected to a laptop (so I could see) and then some really long extensions to put the screws back on but failed after 2 hours of trying... :roll:

I think to get this done I'm going to have to take out the entire back bench seat so I can lay flat on my back to allow an arm to get in through the fiberglass cut out (not sure how easy this is to remove)

A warning to others, if you suspect your cleat backing screws could be loose, try to tighten asap. Or you will end up like me fooling with using magnets, glue, tape, etc to hold a screw to the end of a 2 ft long tool to try to get it back on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:11 pm 
Goldfish

I replaced the conventional castrating cleats on my H200 with Attwood popup cleats shortly after buying it. Fully smooth outside contour with studs that mount from behind. It was a b*tch getting the nuts on the backside. I used stainless lockwashers and stainless nylon locknuts. I had to reach thru the bow seat opening to get to them. I couldn't swing a wrench but my son's smaller arms could get to them.

I liked them so much I added Attwood's mini fender cleats next to the windshield and near the rear. They're alot easier to get to the backside.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:18 am 

Well, Got the cleat back on last weekend. Did not have to move the seat after all. The magic tool for this is a 12" hex shank 1/4" magnetic extension and a screwdriver with removable bits. When I put the screws back in, I used lock washers this time to hold them tighter. Maybe lock tite would also have been good here.