www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:24 pm 
Guppy

Hello everyone!

Recently bought a used FW Horizon with the Volvo Penta 5.0Fi (Mod No 50FAPNC5) SX Cobra OD for freshwater use. It was running great for the first 4 trips, on the 5th trip it was idling fine right at 160, and when i would get onto a plane it would heat up to around 200, reading 165 on the risers which is just getting to the point where they are hard to touch.. First step was replacing the Impeller that didnt look bad but better safe than sorry. While i was in there i also changed the tstat and cleaned the housing out, as well as checked the intake side of the oil cooler to see if anything was blocking flow. I didnt find anything bad. Once i got it back together and down to the Lake i was overheating at idle within minutes. Figured i wasn't getting enough suction, so i rechecked the impeller and its pumping water. It feels like the flow from the tstat housing to the manifolds is really weak, should the hoses be firm when running? I have yet to check the risers and manifolds which is my last step, I also tried to plug up the intake holes and hood a hose to the intake tube at the RWP, and I did not see any leaks coming from around the transom. Im thinking i still have a blockage around the oil cooler. or fuel reservoir. When I get back into it this Friday, I plan to check the oil cooler and riser flow to ensure things look good. Am I on the right track?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:00 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Sound like you are on the right track.

The hoses from the thermostat housing to the manifolds should not be firm. Similarly, the large hose from circulating pump to thermostat housing can be a little bit firm, but not much. You should be able to squeeze it easily. There should not be any real pressure in a raw water cooled engine. If there is pressure, that would indicate very clogged manifolds.

Your thermostat is not the problem, as even with the thermostat closed, the manifolds should not get that hot.

You are on the right track in trying to figure out why the raw water pump is not pumping enough water. If you disconnect the hoses to the manifolds and start it (for a very short time), you should get very good flow out of those hoses into your bilge. If you do, you probably have bad manifolds/risers. If you do not, then you have a pump or suction side issue.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:13 pm 
Goldfish

Also check for any blockage where the water exits. An overheat can melt the flaps in the header downtubes and they end up blocking the discharge port outside of the transom:

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12390#p116187

Volvo issued a service bulletin for removing the flaps.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:09 am 
Guppy

Update: Went ahead and pulled the manifolds and risers and they were all plugged up with corrosion and metal flakes. Cleaned them both up to make sure water was flowing good through the manifolds and into the risers. Also checked to make sure the flappers were still intact and they were both in still there. Started it back up and it got to about 130 on the risers so its running cooler but not where it needs to be. Took it to the lake to see if the cooler waters would make a difference since the water i was using was about 91 degrees. It ran about 110 - 115 on the manifolds and 120-130 on the risers. Also i have the dash style cluster and its jacked up, bounces from 120 to 210 off an on. After getting back to the cove we let it sit for a while, the water was pretty choppy causing the boat to rock on the beach. Once we got back on the boat and started to head back it ran for about 300 ft then just sputted out. Not sure if something got shaken up or if water came back up the Exhaust, but highly unlikely with the flappers still there. Unless they melted at 130? It never would start again. Not sure where to start?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:48 pm 

The temps you mention after the cleaning are not too bad for older risers.

Exhaust Flappers are not necessary and VP has issued a service bulletin recommending their removal. (although if they are in good shape I don't see why you couldn't leave them in). Water should not have been able to come into your engine while beached unless you had such gigantic waves that they came up to your swim platform. Even so, trapped air would prevent water from coming in that easy. Also, if enough water came it to hurt anything, you would not have been able to start the engine. No way that could explain it sputtering out after 300 ft.

Such "sputtering out" sounds like a fuel issue. A hot engine could cause "vapor lock" (which usually prevents you from starting). Other issues like a failed fuel pump or water in the gas would fit your symptom better.

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:57 pm 

It does sound like a fuel problem. Check the filter, gas tank vent and anti siphon valve. If your riser passages were all clogged up consider in the near future replacing both the manis & risers, why, we'll all the rust you cleaned out used to be part of the manis and risers! No telling how much cast iron you have left till it rusts thru and puts water in a cylinder. Also given that I bet your Thermo housing is rusted inside too. Might want to pull it and make sure all the passages are open. I might just replace it if it looks bad with a lot of flaking rust....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:30 pm 
Guppy

I had the similar problem after I bought my used boat, which is the same year as yours. My overheating problem was quickly solved with a new impeller. I also had starting issues here and there, and the engine would suddenly sputter and quit. It would restart after some coaxing. Last year, i took it to the water, and it would not start at all. I was away from home and took it to a marina. The mechanic looked at it and told me the high pressure fuel pump for the EFI quit working. I told him the problems I had with the boat, and he also told me that it was probably going. I had also thought fuel problems, etc. Once I replaced the pump, bought it through Amazon, it starts right off and does not stall at all. Just something to think about....
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:35 pm 
Guppy

After siphoning the gas and replacing the fuel pumps and injectors, i have the boat running. Still seeing fairly high temps around the motor 150 on the risers. 143 on the thermo housing. 140 on the manifolds and the temp gauge is shot and reading 240+. Removed Risers and Manifolds as said before and cleaned and replaced gaskets with 4 hole riser gaskets. When motor heats up i lose power and cant get up over 3500 rpms. Any ideas on temps? Ill replace impellar again since it sat for a while to see if that helps. Any ideas on temp issues? Possibly blocked again?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:06 pm 

It still sounds like clogged manifolds and/or clogged outlets on the thermostat housing. If you feel you cleaned the manifolds out pretty good last year and they flowed water good, then look at the thermostat housing next. The two outlet holes (going towards the exhaust manifolds) can neck down in size due to rust. You can drill them open to at least .390 diameter. But then consider replacing it as I think it's only about an $80 part.

Any blockage in water "going out" of the engine prevents new water from "going in" to the engine, regardless of the Thermostat being open.

Ray

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:09 am 

Boater_Brad wrote:
After siphoning the gas and replacing the fuel pumps and injectors, i have the boat running. Still seeing fairly high temps around the motor 150 on the risers. 143 on the thermo housing. 140 on the manifolds and the temp gauge is shot and reading 240+. Removed Risers and Manifolds as said before and cleaned and replaced gaskets with 4 hole riser gaskets. When motor heats up i lose power and cant get up over 3500 rpms. Any ideas on temps? Ill replace impellar again since it sat for a while to see if that helps. Any ideas on temp issues? Possibly blocked again?

I agree with Ray above in that both the thermostat housing and the manifold/riser water passages must be open to run normal temps. One thing though you have to do is fix the temp gauge!
The manifolds on these engines should run at about 75-100* f at idle and after coming off plane about 135 was the hottest mine ever got when everything was as it should be.
To take close to accurate temp readings take IR temp gun readings of the intake manifold right under the thermostat housing; I have found this to be the closest to the temp gauge (about 10* lower at the manifold). The top of the Thermo housing reads lower.

Have you ever done a raw water volume test with the boat in the water? This will tell you if the impeller is pumping as it should.

Google "Volvo Penta Overheat Diagnosis" this is a PDF document floating around the web that gives good tips on troubleshooting overheat problems.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:26 am 

LouC wrote:
The manifolds on these engines should run at about 75-100* f at idle...

Sometimes mine are hotter than that before I start the engine :lol: Sunny South Florida.
...well in the warmer climates, 90-120 at idle is pretty good.

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:00 pm 

Our water temps top out at about 72* or so in LI Sound....and despite climate change our summer temps are what I'd call moderate, few days above 90*. The downside is that all but the hardcore fishermen have winterized their boats already. I did mine on a nice 70* November day.

2008 Walker Bay 8