www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailers and lanching
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:28 pm 
life to the full

I am considering buying a H180 and want opinions on the trailer
1) For ease of launching and retrieving which is better having slides or a multi roller set up?
2)How deep do you have to submerge the trailer to get the thing on and off easily
All opinions would be appreciated thanks
Ardy
Adelaide
South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:03 pm 
Minnow

In my area on Long Island NY, 90% of the trailers at the ramp have rollers. I've seen newer trailers with the blue or yellow plastic rollers, and the boats just FLY off of them at the ramp. Looks real easy putting them back on also. I have an older set-up and I have to submerge my trailer wheels to get the boat deep enough to get it on and off. Others seem to do the same. Hope this helps
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:47 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Backing in until the wheels are submerged is enough to get the boat off on bunks. Loading back on is easy, I just make sure to get them wet first and pull out a little.

I tried different depths the first half-dozen times until I found something that worked best for me.

Rollers may work better if the launches are real shallow, I ran into one that I couldn't get the trailer deep enough, but that was the only time.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:48 pm 

I have been pleased with our factory 180 trailer with the bunks (slides). To get it off, just dunk it until the boat floats. With the 180, that is just around where the fenders are (i'm guessing now) 100mm or so under water. To retrieve, back the trailer all the way in to wet the bunks (helps the boat slide on) then pull the trailer out to just expose the top of the fenders. The boat can easily be pulled on or power loaded from there. I usually drive the boat slowly onto the trailer, just sliding onto the bunks (without adding throttle), then winch up the rest of the way. It all goes pretty easily.

I'm not a big fan of rollers, just the idea of a bunch of pressure points on the hull IMO is not a good thing.

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:42 pm 

I agree with Chrisvs - my H190 trailer has bunks and is a dream to unload and load. I back in (actually my wife does) until the guards are just under water, then start it up and drive off. The reverse for loading. Bunks centre the boat really nicely - almost impossible to screw it up!

Rollers and fibreglass are not a good combo - especially is you have to tow it a long way or store it for long periods. Hope this helps...

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:04 am 
230 Mike

Bunks vs. rollers can become a bit of a religious discussion. Lots of people have switched from rollers to bunks and say they'll never go back; some say the same going the other way. Which is best, and how deep you have to get in, depends on a few things - the actual boat model, steepness of your ramps, etc. You might get some good information if you could ask the opinions of other boaters who boat where you're going to.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:51 am 
Starfish

After having both would have to say the four winns bunk trailer is a sinch to load and unload in all conditions and when you are by yourself, whether you winch or power load, just have the traler in the right depth for retrevial , you just have to watch corrosion issues, i had to change the bunk bolts as they rusted.
Roller trailers have a tendancy for the boat to be always trying to roll off the trailer, not always at the desired time, and when loading in a cross wind or current

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:17 am 
life to the full

Thanks everyone often when selling a new boat the retailers put the cheapest one they can under it .The ramp I will be using is fairly steep and with the current boat I don't even have to get the axle or bearings wet, which means a whole lot less chance of a wheel bearing failure.I was hoping that with the new boat(H180) it would be the same. If anyone else has experience in this matter I would be grateful for any feed back.
Ardy
Adelaide
South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:06 am 

We also have a steep ramp that we use here from time to time. I can tell you for sure that even on a steep ramp, the factory bunk trailer will still need to be backed in far enough to get the wheels (and of course bearings) wet. The trailer comes with bearing buddies, so a pump or two of grease every 3-4 times you tow should keep the water worries at rest.

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:50 pm 
McLovin

I find that I back just untill the top of the fenders on the trailer are under water and it glides on and off easily.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:30 pm 
All Night Long

Roller trailers also have this perception that there could be alot of stress put on the points of the hull where the wheel contacts. I have heard of people complaining abouts little dents or indentations in their hull because of the roller wheels. Not sure how true that is, but I can tell you that a bunk trailer does distribute the weight more evenly.

and with a roller -- you better hope you never have a strap malfunction - man, that could snap your tie down straps and you'd leave the boat right behind you...

But - it really does affect your launching... it's much easier to launch on a roller trailer. For bunks, just back in a bit farther... not a big deal for most of us.