www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:15 pm 
Tadpole

:?:

We recently purchased our first boat, which was sold as a 1998 Four Winns Horizon RS. The length was listed as 18ft.

We wanted to replace the snap on covers, and get a bimini for it. Now I know we can just measure and get a universal bimini to fit, but searching for that part on the sites I found revealed that I couldn't see our boat listed anywhere. Dates always went to 1997, or from 1999 on. So I started off trying to figure out what we've got. On Four Winns site for old Manuals, 1998 is missing, unless I google that, then it leads to a 1997/1998 sport boat manual. What's odd is the engine in the boat I bought is the 5.0L Gi and its not listed as an option for the H180. Only the H190 in that original manual.

I did find through searching on this site, we also have the VDO gauge package, which is apparently different from most. Right now it looks like all our gauges work properly which is good.

So I'm looking for links or info on what things I should be buying for this thing. It came with a Custom Accessories trailering cover which is too large and ripped. We bought the same brand listed for 17 - 19 ft boat, and although the cover fits, its tight and the straps that are supposed to go around the trailer and clip back up to themselves are 2 feet short at full expansion, like the cover doesn't come down far enough.

I emailed Four Winns hoping they could steer me to at least a similar hull size so I could buy stuff that fits this. But since we are now owners I thought I'd join here as well and get info from a community of boaters as well.

Thanks!
Ryan

The USCG stickers lists the boat as "Horizon RXRS". The HIN is FWNMC020G798. When I plug that in the Four Winns site, it has a listing of parts for it, some under H180, alot for H190.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:00 am 
230 Mike

Welcome!

For canvas - I don't know what year FW began having all their canvas parts made by Great Lakes Boat Top Co., but it won't cost you anything to call them directly to see if they have patterns for your year/model. I'll warn you, we're talking about some serious sticker shock with that stuff, which may be why it came to you with an aftermarket cover. You can get aftermarket canvas parts that are excellent quality, though you generally get what you pay for.

http://www.greatlakesboattop.com/

Looking at your picture, it's really important to get the boat all the way up to the bow roller on the trailer, and keep the winch strap tight, at least while on the road.

Lastly, unless you know with certainty that your trailer's wheel bearings have been properly serviced in the last year, you should get that done; with used boats that tends to be one of the things former owners start neglecting first. If you've never done it, it's not hard - just messy.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:41 pm 
Tadpole

Thanks for the information! The bearings were done this spring, and we did winch it up after leaving his house. He was the most meticulous kid I've ever met. This boat looks as good as almost every boat we looked at that is 5 - 8 years newer. He did the bearings every year which is great. We kind of hurried the transaction due to weather and I think he just overlooked that winch.

I found "National Boat Covers" has a trailering cover for the RS listed, which we will be getting, and locally a canvas company this it would be about $300 to make a new front bow cover, and we'd keep the old rear (its faded but still working. I'm going to contact GreatLakes though just to see. I like how the stock one has the button in the middle for the support post, I assume the original bow cover had a similar setup.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:21 pm 
Tadpole

Unfortunately GLC didn't do the tops for this boat. Bummer.