www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:53 pm 
Tadpole

I had the same problem after a month old tune up. The spring controlling the points was weak even though they were new. Changed out the points and it was back to full power.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:50 am 
Shark

thanks for the suggestion. The distributor is where i was going to head next. in the meantime i took my carb into the shop to have another set of eyes on it after talking with them for awhile about my issues. he called this morning and said that he is getting air sucked in through the metering block. checked another one they had in the shop and it doesn't get any air through it. we are going to give that a shot first and see. crossing my fingers cause I'm really getting tired of screwing with the boat! I just want to enjoy the water finally, haha.

here is what I've done to date this summer lol

Summer 2017 Hours: Start of 2017 785, currently 795

Ignition coil
Plug wires checked (and new)
Plugs (new) need again after adjustments?
Cap (new on 2nd one)
Rotor (new on 2nd one)
Pick up valve new and re checked.
Tank checked for crud. Not much
Pickup tube pulled and checked
Vent tube checked and is clear
Rebuilt carb again (3 Times)
Float re adjusted
Accelerator pump checked (old one back in for testing)
Power valve checked (old back in shorter and for testing)
Grounds checked
Positives checked
Prop change. 19 to 17. Still same
Sea foam twice.
91 non ethanol (twice)
Oil checked 6/4/17 -all good?perfect
Vacuum line checked seems fine (need new valve?)
Fuel pump
Starting fluid while under way bogs it down
Breather valve while under way no change
Only 1 battery no accessories, no change
Tried Battery 1, battery 2 battery both, No change
Weight on distributor cap no change

Add blower, bilge, courtesy lights and then power changes. Or trim button also power change. yet as the day goes on it gets worse and this begins to hardly help but will help keep the motor running without feeling like it wants to die.

To do or try next possibly:

Ignition module under cap
Batteries
Check for spark when it starts to run like crap
check compression

have also now noticed it's taking water on. haven't checked at home yet but hope to fill the hull with some water and find the leak on the cables going to the drive and big hopes that it is NOT the bellows.

there's my latest update :) as always thanks everyone!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:07 am 
Shark

Update #745 haha.

had my shop dig into my carb even though i have rebuilt it 3 times already. found the metering block was sucking in some air through some passages that are plugged but now allowing air through. put a new one on took it to the lake for a test. wow was it super responsive and definatly helped out and got more RPM's out of it and could tell a huge difference. then yet again 20 minutes or so into a ride and she started surging again!

called my mechanic and he's agreed to get on the water WITH me on his free time! wow!! he's a bit thrown off by it too and wants to figure it out.

last night i pulled both batteries and had them tested. both said good batteries. tried getting the alternator tested as well but both auto stores i tried could not test it. they were thrown off by the 6 terminals on the alternator.

still hoping to find the fix before summer is over and even though the alternator is almost 400 dollars i kind of hope that is the issue. I have a good 800+ into parts and various other small fixes which have not fixed it! I'm starting to get very discouraged!

till the next update....

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:47 pm 
Shark

well after trouble shooting this issue for almost a year i've finally got it figured out and fixed.

while on the water trying to trouble shoot this with my mechanic (that's when you know i'm fed up trying). we were trying to get it to surge when the drive all of a sudden started acting up big time. due to my lack to the drive a bellow was ripped and killed the gimble bearing as well as the cone clutch. so after 3 weeks that got fixed and installed and runs GREAT! we thought the cone clutch was my surging problem due to it slipping bad. wasn't the case.

so saturday i got it to surge and my mechanic and another shop mechanic that works with him came out. we finally narrowed it down to the distributor and looks like i'll need a new ignition module in the future. we were able to adjust it slightly and the boat now runs better than it ever has in the 10 years of me owning it! FINALLY!!!

anyone have a line or know where to get this ignition module? the one under the distributor that has 2 wires going to the coil? My mechanics say they've had a very hard time in the past finding them and that i might have to bite the bullet and buy a whole distributor. i'd rather not do that! haha.

boat is:
2000 four winns horizon. 5.0GL volvo

thanks for everyone's help with me getting her back on the water and running good!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:01 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You could start here if you can figure out which 5.0GL it is (although the part may well be the same between them...)
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Engine-Part-Catalog/dm/cart_id.302178891--func.volvo--session_id.983363916--store_id.366

And if it is the discontinued module, this may help out:
http://blog.marinepartsexpress.com/2014/05/omc-and-volvo-penta-ignition-module-part-no-3854077/

Good luck!

Erik

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:39 am 
Shark

awesome info! thanks EvilZ!

ImageImage