www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:19 am 
Shark

back story.

last year i had my 2000 190 V8 running great!! better than ever. went to lake Powell. put her in the water and couldn't get it to plane out. bogged and missed like it was only firing on 4-6 cylinders. replaced anything i could get my hands on for parts while there with no luck.

fired up great idles like a brand new motor. put around get to wake breaking speed with nothing wrong. soon as i gun it, she starts cutting out and will go in and out like it's about to kick back in but nothing.

get back from Powell and whether i did the change over there or not i threw all new parts at her here in Colorado.

New (all Volvo):
plugs
plug wires
cap
rotar
carb rebuild
pick up valve
Fuel checked from water separator (Looked and smelled great!)

took it out 1st time this year solo for about 2-3 hours. it ran perfect, everything!
went out the next day. perfect for 2ish ours then about to do a quick high speed lap and head to the ramp and same thing as last year at Powell. couldn't hardly plane out. took forever while missing, or feeling like missing. then go on plane but couldn't break 30mph.

weird thing if i hit the trim up or down it would act like it was normal and back to LIFE and ready to rip but once i let off back to sputtering.

fuel was treated.
batteries (2) are charged and ready
this is my 10 summer with the boat. same lakes. no prop changes. no jetting changes. have kept everything the same.

my only thoughts before i give up are the following!! looking for input or advice.

HP fuel pump replaced ($$$$)
bad ground wire on motor. (checked tonight could move by hand but tight ish)
carb (Mechanic at Powell said to dump that holly quick. been on there since 2000 and hasn't given me much trouble)

I am at a loss and work on all my own stuff. but this is driving me nuts!! specially having to take it to the water and get a good 2-3 hours in before i know if I've fixed anything.

Fuel? Air? Spark? I'm lost, i welcome any ideas! thanks in advance for any input or advice!

JC

ImageImage

Last edited by hellasnow on Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:50 am 
Livin' the Dream

It sounded electrical when you said it changed if you pushed the trim up or down, to me. Like it was finding a better ground path.... Then you said the ground was good, but you could move it by hand. If you can move it by hand, that connection is not good. So make it tight, not "tightish"

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:27 am 
Shark

chris268,

thanks for the response. yes i agree, did not notice or try that last year. soon as i did that i thought shit need to check electrical. I had the BAD VDO cluster which i added a ground to the dash but had it out many times with that and no issues. wonder if that might have something to do with it as well.

but first and foremost once the rain stops I'm hammering down on the engine ground and crossing my fingers. thank you for the advice! kind of guessing once it gets hot it can loosen up a bit and then that's when I'm having my issue.

I am really hoping for something little I'm overlooking like this.

thanks!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:29 am 
Shark

oh and to move the ground by hand it wasn't easy. i had to put some torque on it but could move it loose using some elbow grease.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:45 am 
GIDDY UP

Check for cleanliness of the ground connections as well. This certainly sounds electrical.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:39 am 
email admin your custom rank

If your motor has a carb you don't have the big dollar fuel pumps to replace - that is on the fuel injected motors

It would seem the electrical issue could be the issue.

Last edited by captkevin on Thu May 18, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:37 am 
Shark

thanks guys. yes the more and more i think about it the more it seems to be pointing at electrical.

i guess the fuel pump is cheaper online. last year i picked one up at a local marine shop for around 240, volvo part and from the dealer so probably why. looks to only be around 100 online. i ended up taking it back after all the parts above that i threw on and a test drive before putting it away for the winter went well. but now back to it.

time to start tracing electrical, yippie!

thanks again everyone.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:40 am 

Definitely sounds electrical (because of the change when activating the trim motor), but not necessarily the ground. Check all the positive connections as well.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:23 pm 
Shark

So I've checked all my grounds and positive connections none of which helped. Triple checked plug wires. I put a new coil on which seemed to help at first. But now yet again once warmed up then sit for a bit it starts to chug and not run to full potential. Even idling for awhile now will start to chug out and seems like want to die but just runs rough. New gas. Sea foam was added. Non ethonal fuel.

Again if I hit the trim or turn on all accessory switches it seems to get more power and sound better.

Thoughts now? This is driving me insane. Thinking of pulling the carb and going through it O be sure that's ok. And thinking maybe getting a new fuel pump.

Also replaced relay on top of fuel pump.

Thanks for any and all advice.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:17 am 
Shark

another couple of things to point out.

yesterday while out same thing. gets worse as the day goes on. if i turn on my blower, aux plug hole light and courtesy lights the surging seems to go away but not 100%.

I put on my smaller prop and that helped a bit but should be able to run just fine with the prop i originally had on.

i went ahead and bought a fuel pump last night and hope that will cure my problem.

as always thanks for any input.

JC

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:28 am 
GIDDY UP

You know, aside from the electrical things affecting the run condition, you have similar symptoms of a fuel vent. After running a while a vacuum is created in the tank restricting fuel. Maybe even vapor lock once the engine compartment gets hot.

Best way to check is to loosen the fuel cap when you're having issues. May be nothing, but just an out of the box idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:56 am 
Shark

Thanks for the suggestion! I kept meaning to do just that but kept forgetting, but then once stopped i would pop the cap expecting to hear some air release but never did.

I'll eventually tackle this damn issue but man it is irritating throwing darts and parts at this sucker.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:33 pm 
Tadpole

Not sure if this info gets you further, but otherwise it could help somewone in the future.
Last year while boating at one time the engine holds back, i thought, engine alarm. Turned motor off, started again no issues. Getting back in plane same problem. Started again and at slower speed to the docks, no problem. Test run: motor runs fine untill approx 2000 rpm. Tester half a day, as this is a 5.0 mpi it had a computer on board, but laptop disconnect at time of the problem.

In the end it turned out to be the part which controls the spark plugs, don't have the english word for it atm. It was broke not on the output, but on the controle / computer side. This caused shortage in the system which switches off the engine.

(Hope this can help you further or to get new ideas to check)
((We were able to check with a part from an other boat before orderontvangst a new part))

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:42 pm 

When you turn over the engine, does it turn over quickly like a new battery or a bit slower? reason I ask, is it could also be a weak alternator, or old battery....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:08 am 
Shark

doesn't seem to lag to me as it were an old battery. 1 is new from mid season last year. other is a few years old. no change when switching to either battery or both. also trickle charged both all winter long.

I've wondered about alternator. i should probably check into that or have it tested.

going to try the fuel pump I've ordered first and see what happens there. might dig down to the fuel tank as well and check inside for crud and the vent line for obstructions.

thanks for the tips guys! I'll get it eventually even if it's by the end of the summer, haha.

ImageImage