www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:37 am 
Guppy

...In terms of shutting itself off in the event of an overheat or oil starvation? At 24 years old some of the dash gauges have started flaking out on our '93 210 Horizon. Most recently, cruising across the lake I looked down to see the oil-pressure gauge reading a big fat ZERO, which scared the sh*t outta me. Later in the day it jumped back up to its proper reading. I thought I had read in some old marketing literature that with the advent of EFI came some self-protection measures; the computer can cut fuel if there's no oil pressure or it's overheating. Is this accurate? To my knowledge the boat has no alarm to sound that there's something wrong, so you really have to go by just the gauges.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:44 am 
Shark

It has SLOW mode which will only let engine rev 2000 rpm if activated by oil pressure low or high water temp, it will not shut off the engine. I have a 93 also and so does Jdoper, and those gages are known to fail. I would take a look at his restoration thread and replace all your gages with Faria.

1993 Horizon 190 5.0 EFI (Sold)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:54 pm 
Guppy

Cool, thanks. At least something more noticeable than a flat gauge happens if there's an issue.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:08 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Most speed shops (hot-rods, muscle cars, etc.) have an oil pressure switch kit that you can install that controls the electric fuel pump. If there is oil pressure, it keeps current going to the fuel pump. No oil pressure, no power to the fuel pump.

I bought one of these kits years ago to replace a bad oil pressure switch on a 1985 motorhome. It had a Ford 460 and I lost the fuel pump driving home one weekend. I realized I didn't have power to the pump, so I jumped it to get me home. Later on, I found out about the oil pressure switch died. Replaced it and everything worked normal after that. The switches usually have a separate terminal that hooks directly to the starter so power goes to the fuel pump during start up.

You could either verify your engine has one of these, or install one for piece of mind. If you ever lose oil pressure, it shuts the fuel pump off, killing the engine.