www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:46 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Well I was in the garage today watching the Daytona 500 when I decided to bite the bullitt and install the docking lights i bought around Christmas. I started planning and prepping during the pre-race show and I started cutting after the 50th lap (and a couple of nerve steadying beverages!) and was complete before the race finished. I was able to sit by the fire and watch the last 20 or so laps! I ended up installing them in the rear section of the anchor locker directly below my bow cleats. This must be rougly where they would go from the factory because the wiring was right there on both sides. I even confirmed the colours of the wire in the manual so it should be real easy to wire them up. They look pretty sweet. :mrgreen: Unfortunately :oops: I started this thread and then realized that my wife has the camera cable at her work so I can't post the pictures I took tonight... I will explain in greater detail when I can put up the pictures.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:08 am 
wkearney99

Just make sure you use them only when it's appropriate. Few things are worse for your night vision than using those while underway. I can't tell you how many times I've seen some idjit hauling along out on the bay with those things lit up. Ya just want to scream "They're NOT headlights!"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:39 am 

I know what you're saying! I imagine they will just end up as "bling" anyways!!! We are usually back before it gets too dark. But where I dock the boat can get very dark because it is a creek off Lake Ontario that has a 30 foot cliff to the East and there are big trees along the shore of the opposite side so I imagine they will get used in here the most.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:30 am 

Here are the install pics!

Before starting anything, I checked out the areas on the inside of the hull and found that the lights would work best (for not interfering with anything) just below the bow cleats. The factory wiring is right there also so it would be easy to wire them.

Before
Tape Applied to Try and save the hull from scratches (Notice I said TRY!!!)
Template in Place for Visualization
Template removed and the cutout shape transferred
Stop have a beverage and think hard before getting the courage for the next step !!
USe a 3" Hole saw and pray you like the location
I checked from the inside to make sure I was really happy with the location of the light! And then proceeded to cut out with a swazall the rough shape of the template. I then used a half moon file to get the light to fit before I removed the tape.
Notice the scratches! I hope to be able to buff them out later. I then held the lights in place with tape and predrilled the screw holes. I then put it all together (gasket,light,gasket,stainless cover) with the supplied hardware and Voila! they are installed.

Now I need to remove them, epoxy the fibreglass edges(to deter water penetration), silicone the light body in place with the gasket for good measure and then wire them up.

All in All this was not that hard of a job and I think it adds a nice look to the bow. Now if I just get going on the other projects! I will be good to go for mid-April

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:24 am 
wkearney99

Nice pics, thanks for posting them. I see you had help too!

You cut that with a SAWZALL? Yikes, those things are tricky. I call mine the "destroys-all", gotta love demolition blades.

I just picked up a brand new jigsaw that has a scrolling option and it's fantastic. No plans for cutting fiberglass this season though, but using the right tools and blades makes a world of difference for me. I did pick up a router off craigslist. Hopefully I'll get time to enlarge the holes under the cabin sofa to let me stow the cushions in there properly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:07 am 
Just-N-Paradise

Nice install, I remember drilling the first hole into my boat...toook quite a bit of "liquid" courage!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:23 am 

Thanks for the comments. i'm glad to see people approve of the positioning (Well atleast nobody has said that they don't like it!)

wkearney99 wrote:
You cut that with a SAWZALL?

YeP!! :shock:

I had the jigsaw out but I couldn't get it to turn because of the steps in the hull! A router would be the same. Atleast with the sawzall you can pull the base off the surface a little. The hole wasn't that pretty until I filed it to get the radii and the adjustments for the final fit.

My little helper is always eager but not always helpful!! I once heard a buddy say that he wasn't building a shed he was "raising" his two sons and I believe in the same philosophy so even if it takes me a little longer I show and explain everything i'm doing so she'll have it in her "data bank" for future reference. My Dad was the same and that's probably why i'm not afraid to attempt pretty much anything repair or fabrication wise.

I'm going to start another thread with my other projects. I guess most people don't have the luxury of at home storage so winter projects are actually spring projects?

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop