www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:45 pm 
Tadpole

Hello,

New boat owner here. My family and I have a 2001 230 Horizon. We purchased this year and absolutely love it. Plenty of space for my 2.5 year old to run about!

Last weekend I found a sandy beach area on our lake(Smith Mountain Lake in Roanoke, va). I trimmed up on the way in and after pushing off from the beach my drive would no longer trim back down! It was in far enough to get us back at a snails pace.

I'm by no means the most mechanically inclined individual but tried to do a little trouble shooting before calling someone. When pushing the trim button in both directions I hear a clicking sound by the trim motor. Fluid looks good and was working just fine since I purchased and even that day.

I have the 5.7 GSi Volvo penta. It looks like it only has one 50amp breaker and its on the front of the engine. Its pushed in. On this model engine did they tie the trim motor into the main engine breaker?

Any ideas or thoughts on what I should do?
Any help would be appreciated. I've been operating boats all my life(my fathers) but I'm a new boat owner and have very little experience fixing them! :lol:
I have a feeling my experience with maintenance will increase tremendously!
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:04 pm 
Tadpole

Make sure the pump is filled with fluid- if its at all low the trim will stick in the up position. Ask me how I know.... John

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:32 am 
email admin your custom rank

Do you have the Grey engine or the Red engine. (Red started around 2000).
You may have a 50 amp glass fuse at the back of the engine.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:54 am 
Goldfish

Milton.Puriefoy wrote:
. . . When pushing the trim button in both directions I hear a clicking sound by the trim motor . . .

If you hear clicking near the trim motor, then the trim switch on the throttle handle is o.k. Have someone operate the trim switch while you crawl in the back and tap lightly on the trim motor with a hammer. My guess is it's either the trim motor or its relay. It lives in a moist environment and the contacts could have corroded or arced and are too resistive to conduct the higher amperage to the motor. Or the trim motor brushes need replacing or the commutator needs polishing. Does your trim unit have a breaker? My 96 5.7GL has a 10 Amp breaker with a reset button on the side of the trim unit just above the motor. Not sure if you would still hear clicking if it has tripped. How many hours are showing on the hour meter? You can trace the blue & green wires for the trim motor to the connector block and disconnect them and use some clip leads to run the trim motor directly from the battery. If it runs in both directions when reversed, then that will rule out the motor, then it's time to check out the relay.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:01 pm 
Tadpole

Thank you all very much for the replies!

The family that owned the boat before I did recommended a mechanic when I purchased for winterizing etc. I called him up and he checked the boat out. After hooking his probe up to the motor he got the drive to come down some, but in the end I have a bad trim motor.

Now, He quoted the part to be "around 200" and 85/hr for labor. I mentioned that i'm not the most mechanically gifted person but the job doesn't look to terribly hard. On top of that, I've found the part online for much cheaper than 200. I'm struggling on whether I should just take this on the chin to keep a quality guy around....or do I try to do it for cheaper. I don't have an endless amount of money to throw at a boat but I want to keep a good relationship with this guy!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:44 pm 
Goldfish

It's always good to keep a good mechanic on tap. With this being his busy season, he'll probably not lose sleep missing out on one more job. Most boats are essentially a big fiberglass hole in the water you throw money in, I can see you wanting to save a few bucks. Perhaps try taking the old unit out yourself. That will test whether you're up to the task. If it's not too bad a chore, you can order the new part for less and feel good that you can do the repairs yourself. If you plan on keeping the boat long term, you will need to be able to fix other items as they come along.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:49 pm 
Tadpole

I agree. Thanks for taking the time to help!