www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:30 pm 
Guppy

Hi. New guy of course needs help right. I will do an intro thread with pictures in a bit if such a thing exists here. This Spring I bought a Horizon 160 with Mercruiser 3.0 engine. I have had to pour fuel into the carb to get it to start since I bought it. Would sometimes get up to speed real nice and sometimes backfire a bit and die out. It has since been running worse and worse. The last time I took it out it took quite a while to get up to speed. Finally got there and drove around the lake a few times and then parked it to swim. Started it back up and it refused to go over about 10 mph. Limped over to the beach and hung out for a while. Started it back up and ran great. Buddies sons hat blew off so we spun around and slowed down so he could pick it up and again could not get any speed at all. Took it back to the beach at about 5 mph, let it sit for a bit, but still no love. Limped it back to the launch and took it home. Ive done some reading etc and have ordered a new fuel pump on an impulse I guess you could say. I see that there is an anti-siphon valve and maybe a screen where the hose attaches to the fuel tank. Thing is, this darn noob cant find the fuel tank! I assume it is located in front of the engine and between the ski storage? There is no access! Its covered in carpet. Do I tear this off and go at it or what?! Any thoughts on the issue or advice how to get to the fuel tank will be appreciated. I will post a picture from my phone shortly. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:34 pm 
Guppy

Sorry cant figure out easy way to post pic and cant find forum on tapatalk where its very easy to post pics

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:17 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Don't know if my H200 1998 is anywhere close to yours but here is a few shots of my fuel tank when I redid the floor

ImageIMG_1779.JPG by Jon Miller, on Flickr

assume yours is in the same place, it may have been carpeted over without being seemed which would require finding the edge and cutting....or worse yet the floor was replaced without leaving tank access.

I think with that link you can look at the rest of my photo stream to give a few more photos.

I also don't know the merc fuel system, but I just went through a fuel delivery issue with my Volvo and it involved replacing the pump (easy) and troubleshooting the electrical side of things (it gets power while cranking and running from two different sources via a relay and some diodes.....finally dug up the info with many many google searches usually ending up at Iboats.

good luck...welcome to the forum...lots of knowledgeable folks here but it doesn't get a whole lot of traffic, there is a fW facebook group that gets a lot of traffic but not so much expert help (imo)

Newtown, CT
untitled-545 by millerjont, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:49 pm 
Guppy

Thanks that is helpful. Looks like ill be tearing up what looks like some pretty new carpet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:53 pm 

might want to exhaust other options before tearing too much up. ( make sure pump getting power etc)

Newtown, CT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:45 am 
GIDDY UP

Are you certain about the fuel in the tank? Similar symptoms of water in the fuel.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:35 pm 
Guppy

BrentC5Z wrote:
Are you certain about the fuel in the tank? Similar symptoms of water in the fuel.

No definitely not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:11 pm 

While having tank access via properly installed carpet/removable decking is ideal....if that's not the case there is still quite a bit you can isolate before getting too busy with power tools.

you can pretty easily siphon the old fuel out via the fuel line to the carb or a hose down the tank, jumper the fuel pump to see if its getting power or even works, check all circuit breakers, safety kill switch if installed.

keep us updated

Newtown, CT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:12 pm 

Wouldn't a boat of that vintage have a mechanical fuel pump?

Might check out Iboats forum for some help.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:43 am 

I agree that starting tear out at this point is a fishing expedition.....I would try some of the following first, plus whatever else others may suggest.

Check the vent line - sometimes dirtdobbers or other insects get in there and clog up the fuel vent line which creates a vacuum in the tank and shuts down fuel flow....you can loosen fuel cap while running....if problem immediately clears up then likely you need to clean the vent line (don't keep running with loose fuel cap as you will get water into tank, expose fumes to potential sparks and booom!)

Try adding Sea Foam to the fuel tank - this help clean and unstick the stuck syphon valve assuming it is even clogged

Check and change fuel filters

Drain fuel from the tank - i would use a manual vacuum suction line you can drop into the tank via the fuel fill

May even disconnect the fuel line coming from the tank to the motor - run the vacuum (manual) suction line down inside of it all the way to the antisyphon valve.

What year boat is it you have?....i may have missed that

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:53 pm 
Guppy

Thanks for the additional info and tips. I will try all these things Saturday or Sunday and report back. It's an 85 or 86 and yes the fuel pump is mechanical.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:56 am 

While I'm not sure about the newer boats, the older FW boats pretty much all had a fuel tank access panel like the one in the pic above that unscrews and that allows you to access the fuel line, anti siphon valve, fuel pick up, fuel gauge wiring and float etc. Even if there is no panel, there is always a way to get at those things. In boats that don't have a tank access panel, its usually a circular plate that is about 6" in diameter or so. Usually the rear part of the tank is right in front of the engine on these boats. You probably have the engine dog house cover and the 2 jump seats on either side. So look for a circular cover on your deck, that should be it.

Based on your symptoms, it sounds a lot like a clogged fuel pick up, or corroded and stuck anti siphon valve. Could also be the pump and don't forget to also check the vent.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II