www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: water in ski locker
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:51 am 
Guppy

Hi. I have a 2016 h230 and was hoping someone had some expertise to help guide me.

Often after use will get boat on lift and note water in ski locker. Turning on bilge pump will not make a change. I will sop it up with a towel and see a little more water flow thru the drainage hole on the stern end of the locker. Figured this was normal. (?)
The guy who winterized it for me this year did not know how to operate my solar powered lift so the boat was left partly in the water for 48 hours. When I raised it back up there was a couple of inches of water in the ski locker. The bilge again did nothing to lower this level. I cleaned it out with a towel.

My questions to anyone with any expertise:
1. Is this normal? Do I just need to run bilge why boat is running at an upward angle?
2. Should the bilge empty this water? I hear the pump run but never see any water leave the hull when up on the lift. Where is the water supposed to exit?
3. Does water in the ski locker mean their is more water deeper in the hull? If so and this freezes will it damage the boat?
4. Any recommendations.

Thank you for any input.

Post subject: Re: water in ski locker
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:28 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Water may be brought into the boat by swimmers coming back on board or by rain. Otherwise the boat should not leak while in the water. The ski locker is normally connected to the bilge area around the engine, and will drain if the boat's bow is higher than the stern. The bilge pump is normally mounted in such a way that it will not remove the bottom 2 or 3 inches of water from the bilge. Check the pump to make sure it operates and check the routing of the hose to make sure it is connected. With the boat completely out of the water, remove the water and dry the bilge. Then put the boat in the water and watch in the bilge to see if there is a leak. Watch in the area of the out-drive transom plate, and just below it on the transom. Also watch the through hull transducer, the engine's cooling system plumbing, and the exhaust system. Hope this helps.
Gary

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:01 am 
Guppy

Thanks Gary.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:13 am 
email admin your custom rank

Just a note about freezing in the hull. I usually pump a little antifreeze through the bilge pump, there maybe some residual water in the line and pump. Then I throw some in the bilge even with the plug out. There may be some places where water doesn't drain and its better to have antifreeze in there if a little rain does get trapped. Always park on land bow high for drainage. If you shrink wrap it should keep it nice and dry.
There are some great tutorials on here for winterization if you do it yourself.
Now the hard part, try not to think about it for the LONG winter months...