www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Walt's Mod's
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:58 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I have a few interesting mods, as well as a few generic mods going in over the next few weeks. I thought I would share my pics and insight with those interested.... If you're not, then go to another thread! :wink:

The following are posted, so just wait for the one you want to see....
Fishing pole holders.... This episode! :)
Spare Battery w/ disconnect with a battery monitor bonus! :D

These are yet to come....
Rope ctsy lighting along the floorboard 8)
Engine Comp LED lighting that turns on when the lid is open :shock:
LED Cupholders :twisted:
Finally, an alarm system with the ability to toggle lights using a keyless remote. :mrgreen:
Stay tuned!

First one are some velcro straps I picked up at Cabelas for about $5. I just wanted to hold down my fishing poles. There was a nice little "shelf" above the engine in the compartment, so I put it to use. I just cut some holes in the fabric, as well as drilling through the 'glass and viola!

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

Last edited by Walt on Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Walt's Mod's
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:12 pm 
Villiage Idiot

The next one is the mod we nearly all do... Spare Batt with disconnect. The factory location for the Batt is stbd side, next to the engine. There is not enough room in this area for another with the Corsa exhaust, but I may be able to put in a small deep cycle for the stereo equip down the road. Just infront of this location, under the bench seat, is the Subwoofer. There was just enough space in there to accomidate my spare batt as well. So, with a tray and Perko switch from Cabelas (~$10, $35), some pre-made cables from Walmart (about $20), and a whole bunch of wire ties, I made the trek. I used cables 51" long, and should have just made up some of my own, because these are just short. One I doubled up, then I chose a central location for the disconnect. The grounds/neg are both mounted to the #1 batt, making it an integral part of the circuit, then I just attached the power cables to the switch common (amp, helm power, main power, mercathode).

I also bought a 3 cell battery monitor such as fishermen use on thier trolling banks. I wired #1 and #2 respectively, and will use the #3 lead either for the Alternator, or the stereo batt mentioned above. This cost about $40 at Cabelas, and wasn't difficult to install. It came with about 10' leads... plenty! The only thing is, to check the battery condition, you need to push a button on it's panel, so install it somewhere accessible. Since my #1 is a bear to get at, and the #2 is only marginally better, I opted for the engine compartment, next to the batt switch. I tried drilling, and using screws to attach to the 'glass, but didn't have any luck, so just used some heavy duty household clear silicone instead.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:44 pm 
Just-N-Paradise

Lookin good Walt. Im anxious to see your cupholder leds...I started fabbing some cupholder led's for mine today as well as some led rings for my tower speakers, but probably wont be done for about a month or so since Im travelling so much. Seeing yours may help me fab mine up better so as soon as your done be sure to post'em!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:01 am 
230 Mike

Nice! Thanks for the pics!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:46 am 
GIDDY UP

Walt, Great job on the mods.
I think I'll put my other batt on the port side in the same place the stock battery is in.

Fishing poles in an SS????????????????????????????????????????????? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:22 am 
Villiage Idiot

Brent87LT1 wrote:
Walt, Great job on the mods.
I think I'll put my other batt on the port side in the same place the stock battery is in.

Mine came factory on the stbd side. I thought of moving the subwoofer to the port side, but decided not to since everything would fit as is.

Brent87LT1 wrote:
Fishing poles in an SS????????????????????????????????????????????? :mrgreen:

As far as fishing, I do fish with my sis and her hubby. They have a fishing/tooner. Since we go camping together, the boat has a good place to store my 3 poles otherwise out of the way, and I have room for my tackle box under the port side bench seat with my tool box. This keeps my cooler storage area open just for that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:15 pm 
Villiage Idiot

On todays topic, I've installed the Floorboard Ctsy lights, the engine comp lighting, an alarm system to toggle the lights, and finally, the LED Cupholders! These are the final planned mods before launch!

First, the floorboard ctsy lights are pretty straight forward. I just used some rope lighting for $15 at Cabellas. These come in about 6' lengths, and very flexible for any contour. They have a lot of "memory" and come in a coil, so I ran the wiring, turned them on, and mounted them as they were warm and pliable. I use 1/2" hold downs, and mounted those behind the kick-panel along each side of the boat so they don't stand out so much, and don't collect dirt easily. The finished pics are shown later.

Engine Compartment lighting was one of my favorite challenges. I wanted these lights on ONLY when needed, but didn't want a switch I had to remember, and such. So, I found an old refrigerator, and stole the gnome out of it, and put him to work on the problem. From his recommendations, I wired thier main power from the Nav lights, and ran a leg through a limit switch (about $2 at radioshack) on the engine compartment hatch before going to the lights.

So, the Nav's have to be on, and the hatch open for them to be on. I made sure to cover any wiring near the motor, with considerations to heat, rotating parts/belt, etc. I have three of these lights, but only one pictured.

While thinking about all this lighting, I decided it would be neat to toggle lights on and off at night. In case I "misplaced" my boat at night while drinking, or just when I check on it while camping, to ensure it's moored. I decided a low budget alarm system would meet my needs. I went to a local shop that specializes in such things, described my goal to the suprisingly knowledgable and attentive 16 year old behind the counter, and I was off! The system, remotes, and relays set me back about $90. I wired all the ctsy, nav, and cupholders to the "dome light" circuit so they stay on for 30 sec. Then I wired the "Aknowledge" circuit to my docking lights, since they would be visible even while covered. I'm still toying with wiring the horn/alarm to deter theft, but haven't bothered yet.... so far it's just a remote light switch.

Finally, The LED Cupholders.
This was pretty basic, I just wired them to the Nav lights, using my trusty tape measure as a fish tape to go from hole to hole. They set me back $31 ea through a local Harris Pontoon dealer and are direct replacements for the Stainless Steel cupholders. Be carefull about doing this. If another boat could mis-identify these as Nav lights, they shoulnd't be used in that location.

And now with the floor board ctsy lighting as well.....

I hope all this helps everyone with ideas, especially regarding night time boating.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:41 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Hey Walt, some trick mods to be sure. I especially like the LED Cupholder swapout. Are the LED units SS as well and could you share the contact info on the dealer you bought them from or maybe even who manufactures them so I could track some down? Wonder if they come in other colors.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:53 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Blessed wrote:
Hey Walt, some trick mods to be sure. I especially like the LED Cupholder swapout. Are the LED units SS as well and could you share the contact info on the dealer you bought them from or maybe even who manufactures them so I could track some down? Wonder if they come in other colors.

Thanks.
My dealer could not get them in any other color. These came direct from Harris. I bought through Sportman's Outfitter in Lee's Summit Mo. Just go to http://www.sportsmansoutfitter.com . Joe Falco III was my contact. He has taken good care of me so far, since we don't have a local FW dealer/service provider in KC. AS far as colors, Blue goes really well with Black. They are not stainless either, but plastic, with a ring around the top. I searched the web and couldn't find anything else, other than some battery powered ones. I wanted to be able to turn them on/off easily.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:12 pm 

Very cool. I like that battery monitor idea. Is that alot more "informative" then turning the key and checking the amps available?

I had a guy out to look my boat over and is going to do LEDs over the cup holders in those recessed areas. I'll post pics later in the weekn when its done. I may do some in the engine compartment as well.

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:45 am 
Narwhal

Are those lights in the engine compartment ignition protected? - just kidding! I like those led cup holders too, just wish they'd come with red leds for the sake of night vision. Nice upgrades, looks like youre ready for the season to begin.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:12 am 
GIDDY UP

Really Cool!

You guys must do a lot of night boating. That thing looks like a movie theater.

Great work!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:37 pm 
230 Mike

Night boating rocks. I agree with the red, but the look is great!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:59 pm 
Dolphin

Walt-

Very cool. Maybe you should try transom lights next? Does anyone have any experience with these? http://www.oceanled.com/gallery.php

Earth First, We'll Mine the Other Planets Later

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:09 pm 

geoloco5150 wrote:
Walt-

Very cool. Maybe you should try transom lights next? Does anyone have any experience with these? http://www.oceanled.com/gallery.php

We have acouple cruisers around here with them. I dont go out at night enough to spend 900.00 per light. I am going to put lights under my swimplatform when it gets here.