www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:51 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I would do a little research about your neighbors and what they use their moorage for. If they use a lot of shore power, then galvanic corrosion MAY be an issue you will need to look into and be concerned with.

I couldn't disagree more with the concept of unhooking your battery. How does an automatic bilge pump function if you get a ton of water in there from a storm, blown off cover, etc.

Good advice on the cover. In case you don't already have a cover to fit a 220H, I will now make a shameless plug for the one I'm selling that I won't be using on my 220H:

clicky

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:28 pm 
wkearney99

I'm guessing the notion of 'disconnecting' the batteries was through the use of the battery switch, not to physically disconnect the cables from the batteries themselves. That would be a dumb idea for precisely the bilge pump reason. I always make it a habit to turn off all breakers that do not need to be enabled. Both AC and DC. Then I also turn off the batteries at the main switch. About the only thing I leave on are the AC breakers for the battery charger and the refrigerator.

During the first season I had the no appreciable corrosion on the transom anode. The shaft anodes got lost; thrown off the shafts somehow. Their replacements lasted through the next season, and probably would've carried through to this Spring. But since I had the boat out of the water, and the anodes are cheap, I just replaced them. The engine anodes are going to get replaced next week, but still probably had enough left to 'get through' this season. I'll probably do the transom anode ($$$) when I have a diver clean the bottom (probably sometime in May). I can usually see it when we're swimming so it gets monitored on a reasonably regular basis. I do talk with nearby slip neighbors and nobody has mentioned any unexpected anode problems.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:01 am 
email admin your custom rank

Quote:
Hull blistering is a lot less of a problem with today's gelcoat compounds and construction methods.
You keep telling yourself that. All it takes is 1 speck of dirt, 1 air pocket, one long fiberglass thread in that mold during the vacuum. Trailer it, lift it or paint or be prepared for it to look like a 10 year old boat in 2 years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:22 am 
All Night Long

For a boat left in the water 365 days a year - I agree with TXJole2... But for a boat that is pulled during the off months and spends maybe 6 months out of the year on a clean, freshwater lake - with regular cleaning maintenance and upkeep - I call BS.

How do I know that? I've owned a boat long enough around here -- and moored it for 3 seasons on the same lake. I never pulled it during the season, but I did do a hull clean at the end of each season - and when I sold the boat - the hull looked brand spankin' new.

Maybe it's different where you are from - but in Seattle, apparently our water has less contaminants or something.

Bring on the blisters! I'm looking forward to using that 2 year structural hull warranty I guess!

Coincidentally -- Law and I are actually in the same little mini-marina! Bring on the Four Winns club!