www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bilge drain
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:27 am 
Shark

We were Sun & the lake was crowded so it made for some rough running. We had a scary moment getting out from behind a 24-28 SR cuddy's wake (that was a quick learning exp. listed hard to starboard side, admiral said "That wasn't funny Mr. Jones") Anyway when I pulled the boat out of the ramp area I was looking in the R/H mirror & thought I saw water coming out of the bilge pump drain hole. I took the plug out when I got home & alot of water came out. I normally haven't been pulling it out because I haven't noticed water when I check the eng comp. I also have an additional Wallyworld nice cover over the Cockpit & Bow covers, cause rain gets in thru bimini cut outs. My question is do the more seasoned owners that trailer drain after every time out?

Post subject: Re: bilge drain
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:46 am 
Dolphin

This is my first boat and I have had in 3 months now so i'm not a seasoned boat owner but yes I pull my drain plug out every time. It is just part of the system I have set up, while gasing to boat up at the local store I put the plug in and then when putting the back trailer straps on I pull the plug out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:49 am 
wkearney99

Huh? Can't quite make out what all you wrote there.

Generally you do drain the bilge after each time out. If only to avoid having it sloshing about when you tow it. Water is heavy and more than a gallon or so in the bilge really slaps around when you stop/start. That and you leave the plugs out so any rain that might get into the boat (and some ALWAYS does) will drain out.

But make sure you remember to put the plugs back in when you're putting the boat back into the water. Some folks find it useful to keep SEVERAL spare drain plugs on hand. This way you're not stuck if you've left home and forgotten to bring the plugs. Same deal with ignition keys. Nothing sucks so much as driving an hour to the ramp only to get there and discover you left the boat keys at home...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:33 am 
Forty six and Two

If the boat is on the trailer the plug comes out.

73 International Scout II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:44 am 
email admin your custom rank

Pull your drain plug everytime you pull your boat out. This way you'll be able to monitor the amount of water that may have entered your boat during that days use. If you drain more water than you consider normal it will promt you to further investigate why. Also leave the plug out when your boat is out of the water and not in use just in case the boat gathers rain water. If your batteries are dead or removed and unable to power the bilge pump, any water will still have a chance to drain from your boat. I have heard of people who were unaware their boat was gathering rain to the point the trailer tires failed, only to discover a boat completely full of water on the trailer.

La Habra, California

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:16 pm 
230 Mike

KSJ8 wrote:
My question is do the more seasoned owners that trailer drain after every time out?

Yes, before leaving the unloading area.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:29 pm 

230 Mike wrote:
KSJ8 wrote:
My question is do the more seasoned owners that trailer drain after every time out?

Yes, before leaving the unloading area.

To avoid cross contamination of foreign species :wink:

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:18 pm 

Everytime its on wheel I pull the plug at the ramp and put it back in when I return to the ramp.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:31 pm 
GIDDY UP

It will also let you know if any fluids are leaking when you drain it each time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:36 pm 
Shark

I used to pull the plug on our Bayliner everytime last season. Beings this is a new boat figured it to be more "water tight". As I said I bought a full cover from Wal-Mart for $100 (it's actually nicer then the one I had bought on line for mI boats for the BL) to keep the rain out. This one is just harder to get to becuase of the keel rollers on the trailer BUT It's not that difficult. Time to add that to my post ride check list.
Plus to answer the comment about leaving plug home, it's attached to the oil drain line that comes out the drain. Also I ALWAYS keep SPARE KEYS in JEEP i.e. Boat both of them, Trailer & Receiver locks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:13 pm 
Lake Michigan - Unsalted

When I pull the boat out of the water, the plug comes out. Like others have said, it is a nice guage to see what is really in your bilge.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:19 pm 
wkearney99

KSJ8 wrote:
Beings this is a new boat figured it to be more "water tight".

Heh, that'll be the day... Covers leak, get lifted by the wind, tear from branches dropping on them or get chewed through. Yes, they do make it less likely. But not enough that I'd trust one 100%.

As others have suggested it's also an excellent way to see if anything OTHER than water has shown up in the bilge. Best to know this when your trip is over instead of next time when you're expecting to set out on the day's trips.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:56 am 

NO boat cover is 100% water tight, I had one made by a local guy (originals were long gone) and made some mods over the years and it's better, very little water gets in now.
I have seen a funny thing happen when trailer boater didn't pull the plug. He pulls up to a light, comes to a stop, all the water in the bilge flows foward, (bilge pump switches on) and shoots out of the bilge pump through hull into the car next to him! Can you imagine the suprise of that driver!!

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:24 am 

I pull the plug every time I leave the ramp. As others have said, it can be an indicator of things becoming abnormal. Keep in mind, too, that swimming and returning to the boat can put a LOT more water than you would think into the bilge. Odds are the boat is perfectly watertight-you are just brining it in through swimming, weather, dew, etc.

On another note, you may want to be careful with your covering method once winterization rolls around. I don't think I'd put that cover on over the canvas covers without some type of dehumidifying system. Just covering up with both and leaving it will keep the covers from breathing in dry weather and you will more than likely open the cover in the spring to find an interior full of mold and mildew. Just a suggestion for prevention.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:24 pm 
Narwhal

LouC wrote:
NO boat cover is 100% water tight, I had one made by a local guy (originals were long gone) and made some mods over the years and it's better, very little water gets in now.
I have seen a funny thing happen when trailer boater didn't pull the plug. He pulls up to a light, comes to a stop, all the water in the bilge flows foward, (bilge pump switches on) and shoots out of the bilge pump through hull into the car next to him! Can you imagine the suprise of that driver!!

Hilarious story about the bilge pump! Anyway, On your boat cover statement, I'm sure you are referring to snap on covers - I can't find any leaks or incoming water with my FW mooring cover.