www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:58 am 
Guppy

Hi All,

Greetings from beautiful Norris Lake in eastern Tennessee. Will be taking delivery this friday (4th) of my first Four Winns purchase. Looking forward to the extra room for kids and gear.

I'm equally glad to find this site. I've 'lurked' for several days and find the comments useful and 'above-board'.

Hope the summer is going well for everyone, and if you're near Norris Dam Marina, give me a shout.

Skip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:45 am 
Mental Floss

Skip, Welcome and congrats on the new boat! Do you have a name in mind for your new girl?

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:19 am 
email admin your custom rank

Hi Skip,

Welcome to the board. You will love the 240. I have the 2005 230 w/ 280 hp DP. Had 9 people out for the weekend. Plenty of room.

What options did you get? Did you get the ski pylon or tower? Please let us know.

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:41 pm 
Minnow

Welcome to the group Skip. As a fellow Horizon owner I know you will be happy with your Four Winns. If our current temperatures are any indication, you will still have a lot of summer to enjoy your new toy. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:57 pm 
230 Mike

Hi Skip, I have the same boat ('05), with the 320hp. You'll love it. Welcome!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:58 am 
Guppy

Thanks for all of the wonderful replies and kudo's. The 280 HP is my first dual prop. Initially I was concerned that the weight of the boat would leave the 280 feeling underpowered. However, the test run combined with the nice flat water we're on reassured me that this would be enough with 6-8 aboard.

As to the naming of the boat, I'm sure my wife will have a say in that. Her name is Mary Ann, so if all goes well with this boat, I'll be "Still Mary'd" (sorry) for a long while.

I think I got most options. The one I would have liked is the pylon. The dealer can install, but at 1,400.00, that was a little steep for the amount of usage it will get. Maybe in the off-season if needed. I did have the dual battery and switching installed from the dealer. So except for the electric hatch, the boat was ordered with pretty much everything that FW had listed as optional.

This was the last 240 in stock, and they had sold every cruiser that they (American Boat Center) could get their hands on. Market share for FW is finally starting to grow here despite Sea Ray, Cobalt, Mastercraft, Supra, etc. being manufactured here.

I'll stop here, but look forward to other posts. I'm finding on this site that these great boats have great owners.

Skip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:28 am 
230 Mike

It'll be interesting to see whether your boat (with the dual batteries) has the starboard list problem. Many of us have had our batteries moved to the port side to correct it. It seems to be the only common problem with the model.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:15 pm 

Hey congrats on the new boat --

I have the "older" 2003 -- 240 Horizon ---with the 280HP engine -- you will like it

I looked at lake lots on Norris last year -- ended up buying a lot on Watts Bar --(actually a NEAR waterfront lot -- across the street --but with a deeded boat dock ) Watts Bar put me in a one-day tow from West Palm Beach, and I was afraid Norris would be a few hours too far.
--- but Norris is pretty during the summer -
(when the water is UP >>>> laughing)

230 Mike --- I have found it interesting
that I do not seem to have that list --- even though both my batteries are on the "right - driver" side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:33 pm 
230 Mike

Somewhat different hull design Dale, and I imagine a somewhat different layout, which would mean a different balance overall. I don't know if the deadrise angle changed between '03 and '04, but I think part of the reason the '04's and '05's list with dual batts is that, even though it's only 110# or so, it's all concentrated at the stern where deadrise is the steepest. Moving that amount of weight (a NET change of 220#, as much or more than most adults weigh) in that area of the boat has a significant effect.

The whole issue could have been avoided if FW would put the dual batts on the port side to begin with, OR if they'd mount the fresh water tank on the port side. That full water tank is almost exactly the same weight as two batteries.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:48 am 

Well my batteries are in line with the rear bench seat -- but my freshwater washdown tank is on the port side -- it does probably offset the batteries -- and to tell the truth I am not sure I have ever been on the boat alone -- always another person to also offset weight --

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:38 am 
Guppy

Thanks for the info on the batteries. Didn't even consider that in my current state of euphoria.

Dale, glad you found a site in Tennessee. That area south of Knoxville is exploding as the TVA has been land-swapping in addition to relinquishing some of their hold on the waterfront. Home builders and golf course develpers are drastically changing that landscape.

She goes in the water at 10 a.m., and looking forward to that first ride.

Thanks again,
Skip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:25 am 
230 Mike

The batts are relatively easy for the dealer to move, if it needs to be done. You'll love the boat! Be sure to post some pics!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject: welcome aboard!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:13 pm 
Dolphin

hey skip. Congrats! You'll love her. ....as to the batteries, many of us here hung together in a thread that lasted about 3 months on another forum until we fully learned everything there was to know about this hull style and possible battery locations! Ours were relocated by the dealer also, and the list was obvious during a test run on another unit. We can all fill you in on the gory details and possibilities if you experience it....

...and you'll enjoy maneuvering with the dual prop, especially in close quarters --- .....I'd like it if the Volvo was bit smoother though, on switching between forward and reverse...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:21 am 
Tadpole

I would very much apperciate any one's opoinion on my thru hull exhaust. I have a 2004 230 with 5.7 VP. I thought the exhaust was still rather load with the "CC" off and the factory agreed . I still have 30-40% of exhaust coming out the side pipes. Well, I took it to Phil Dill in Dallas and they said all of the "flaps" are performing correctly. I have never had 'CC" before and was wondering if any of you have it and does this sound normal?
Thanks very much for any insite any of you may have.
Kurt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:37 pm 
230 Mike

Kurt,

It's normal to get some noise from the pipes even when closed; the dampers normally rattle a bit and never close completely. However, if you're truly getting as much exhaust out of them as you say, I don't think that's right. I'd think more along the lines of 5% would be normal, although I don't know how anyone can accurately measure that. The rattle, the expense, the lack of any real performance benefits when used with a small block, and the additional maintenance are the reasons we opted not to include thru-hull on ours. Although, I *LOVE* the sound :) .

When you say the factory agreed with you, how was that done? Was the factory able to listen to it somehow? In any case, if the factory thinks its wrong, then they should contact Phil Dill to get something done about it.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic