www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Used 230 purchase
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:48 pm 
Dolphin

Hello, I am hopefully about to become a new Four Winns owner… I am looking at a 2004 230 Horizon next week and would like to know if there is anything I should specifically look for? I probably will have someone from the local Four Winns dealer come for a quick ride to make sure everything sounds normal before I buy. It's a private sale 2nd owner boat. The current owner has kept it in fresh water for the summer (May to Sept) at his dock for the past 3 years. I am not sure what the first owner did.

Should I be concerned with blistering? Will blistering still show up after it has sat out for the winter?
Any other typical problem areas to look for?

Thanks
Chris

Post subject: Re: Used 230 purchase
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:04 pm 
230 Mike

Great choice ;)

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:10 pm 
Dolphin

230 Mike wrote:
Great choice ;)

Thanks. I am not a stalker but I am trying to be just like you!! F150 towing an H230 :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:49 pm 
230 Mike

I don't know a lot about blisters, but if it's been in the water all summer I'd check it very carefully.

If it has the dual battery option, there's a good chance it will have a bit of a starboard list, especially with only the captain in the boat. Lots of 230/240 owners have had to have their batteries moved to the port side because of this. It's no problem, just something to be aware of. You didn't say whether it's Volvo or Merc but either way read up on the importance of anodes and the different materials they're made of. Check the drive and props for excessive corrosion. Change the impeller.

Go through the boat with a fine toothed comb and tighten all the screws and nuts, including the clamps on the exhaust system and coolant hoses on the engine. They all tend to loosen a LOT in the first year or two, and there's a good chance the current owner hasn't checked them. Don't forget the windshield mounting screws all the way around.

Be sure to see what's involved in deploying and stowing the bimini, and raising it and lowering it to/from the trailering position. That's pretty much a 2-person job and is one of the few shortcomings of these model years IMO. They changed the design in '06.

If you're like a lot of us, you'll spend more time fixing the trailer than the boat. At 5 years, you're coming due on a new set of tires if they haven't already been done, especially if the trailer has been stored outside. Check the condition of the brake fluid, it's probably due to be changed anyway. If you can do a "test tow," be sure to back the trailer up a bit to make sure the reverse lockout solenoid still works (assuming it has disc brakes). The carpeted fender liners are probably ready to fall off unless he's already replaced the fasteners on them. The nuts holding the bunks down are most likely loose, too.

It really is a good boat choice IMO. Plan on a down-the-road trailer weight of 6,500# with full tanks & toys.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:34 am 
Dolphin

Thanks for the tips Mike. Hopefully the tires are still OK. He only trailers it 2 miles to the ramp 2 times a year. If they are not dry rotted they should be fine. I am quite handy so I will go over everything you mentioned. The boat has a 5.7 Volvo with an SX drive. I really want a Duo but the price is right and it's local so I'll make do. With a little Ebaying I figure I can probably upgrade for $2-$3Kif I want to later.

Hopefully the boat shows well. The 230 seems like the perfect family bowrider.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:37 pm 
Dolphin

Unfortunately the dealer near the boat I am looking at this weekend will not be able to have a tech available this weekend to help inspect the boat I am taking on a sea trial. So it looks like it is up to me and my knowledge to determine if it is mechanically sound. I am not really worried about the small stuff, I can check that stuff over without concern. I am specifically interested in the engine and drive.

It was winterized by Winnisquam marine last fall which is a reputable dealer here in NH so I assume they drained the block. I doubt there will be issues but I would like to make sure before I sign away..

I have always winterized/serviced my current 3.0 Merc so I am familiar with the basics of a marine engine. I have no experience with a Volvo though.

I'ts a 2004 H230
5.7 Volvo
Freshwater use only

My questions are :

1. Where are the drain plugs on the block and how many are there? I would at least like to make sure they were re-installed before we run it.
2. Is there a drive lube dip stick? What tool is needed to remove it?
3. If by any chance the block was cracked over the winter how would I know? Would a leak be obvious when running? Will water get in to the oil?
4. Is ice damage to the manifolds and risers obvious to detect as well?
5. How should I inspect the bellows for leaks?

My assumption is if it runs smooth and sounds fine for 1/2 hour or so and the oil is clean after running it the boat should be fine.

Any other tips to inspecting an engine?

Thanks for all the help
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:00 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I would recommend calling Winnisquam and ask them if they know the history of the boat….. They will tell you if they know anything about the specific boat.
If you want a sea trial they would do with you as well. Their lake is already open so If it is possible you could bring he boat to Winnisquam to sea trial as well. They are having a demo days this weekend so they might be a little busy……..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:43 pm 
Dolphin

Flying Sushi wrote:
I would recommend calling Winnisquam and ask them if they know the history of the boat….. They will tell you if they know anything about the specific boat.
If you want a sea trial they would do with you as well. Their lake is already open so If it is possible you could bring he boat to Winnisquam to sea trial as well. They are having a demo days this weekend so they might be a little busy……..

I did call Winnisquam but they said they were straight out this time of year and probably could not pull someone off a job to help. I am a little disapointed since I called them 2 weeks ago and they said just call back when you are ready and set up an appointment. I do realize their demo days are this weekend so I asked if a weekday would be best and he told me to call back tomorrow and talk with the owner Ed he may be able to help. The boat is just down the road from WM so I figured that would work but it looks like the timing is wrong.

I did get a bit of history 2 weeks ago when I called. The boat was winterized by them in the fall. A new engine (long block) was installed by them in 06 for $7000 from the previous owner not winterizing it properly. The current owner has already told me this. The new engine only has 40 hours on it. Total 180 on the boat.

I guess I am just wondering when WM winterizes a boat is it ready to just go when it hits the water?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:49 pm 

chubert wrote:
I guess I am just wondering when WM winterizes a boat is it ready to just go when it hits the water?

Should be...as long as the battery is charged you should be good to go. All fluids changed and greased what needs to be greased. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:18 pm 
Dolphin

Wet Doggg wrote:
chubert wrote:

Should be...as long as the battery is charged you should be good to go. All fluids changed and greased what needs to be greased. Good luck.

That's what I would figure. There would be a lot of liability of they left the drains out...

Has anyone had the pleasure of seeing what a cracked block does when you try to run it? Where would the obvious signs be?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:32 pm 

Re cracked block

No experience with the V8, but I had the delight of experiencing the effect of a cracked block in my first car; 85 + mph, an enormous bang as the 2 core plugs at either end of the crack blew out, a cloud of steam that obliterated visibility across 3 lanes of traffic. A little bit expensive.

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:30 pm 
230 Mike

The drive has a dipstick, right on the very top of the housing, it looks like a hex nut ~1/2" - 5/8" (but is metric I'm sure). An adjustable wrench would work :) . Be careful with the o-ring so it doesn't get damaged.

You didn't say (or I didn't see) if SX or DP. The SX drains at the bottom of the casing, ahead of the prop; the DP drains behind the props (you have to remove them).

Block & manifold drains - I've never done it myself, so I can't say all of them, but you have one at the aft end of each manifold and I think two on each side of the block.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:43 pm 
All Night Long

chubert wrote:
Wet Doggg wrote:
chubert wrote:

That's what I would figure. There would be a lot of liability of they left the drains out...

Has anyone had the pleasure of seeing what a cracked block does when you try to run it? Where would the obvious signs be?

Winnisquam - as far as I know - always winterizes using antifreeze. They basically dip the drive in a big a$$ tank and run the boat for a while (I've seen the tank, it's big).

If they have winterized it - and the seller has a receipt to prove it - you are most likely good to go.

That being said -- Get ahold of Ryan or Ed over there and ask them for a 1 hour inspection. It may cost you 100 bucks - but it'll be sound advice.

They may not do it this weekend - but I can't imagine that Ed wouldn't squeeze you in somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:12 pm 
Seahorse

chubert,

Ryan at Winnisquam Marine here...

This season has started off with a BANG and it has caught us by surprise!!! Two weeks ago we thought that we would be wide open for service until mid May like usual. We went from snow and ice to open lake in record time and we never counted on so many people wanting their boats weeks earlier then normal. We have 6 full time technicians that are working like crazy to get everything out the door and in a few weeks they will be working 6 day weeks to get everything ready to go. We just cannot go to 6 day work weeks yet, it will burn out the guys way too early...

That being said just give me a call. The employee that you spoke to was just doing his job telling to talk with my dad to see if we can fit you in which most of the time he or I will do unless we are at our busiest times of the year which is around Memorial Day and Columbus Day...

We are open to and want to earn new customer's business unlike some other NH Four Winns dealers but we just have to make sure that we have the capability to service our current customers during the busy times of the season.

The guys on this forum will tell you that we do everything we can to make as many customers happy as possible. You said you were dissapointed, dont be!!! Just give me a call or my dad Ed as our employee mentioned and you will see that we would like to have you as a customer.

I will also discuss with you what method of winterizing that the selling customer paid for and other service records. The boats are not always winterized with antifreeze because it costs more money to do so. You should definently have us go over the boat so that there is much less chance of surprise problems once you buy it. Be sure to ask me any questions that you have when you give me a call as I enjoy sharing my knowledge of boating!!!

Think Spring!!!

Ryan Crawford
Winnisquam Marine, Inc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:39 pm 

Boy - I'm really happy so far with my local Four Winns dealer, but I sure wish I lived closer to Winnisquam - I can tell just from these posts that they are the kind of business I'd like to build a relationship with over the long term. I love to see dealers act like your business is important to them. Two snaps up and a circle!