www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2000 horizon new member
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:29 pm 
Clownfish

Just wanted to say hi!! I picked up a 2000 230LT with a 5.7gsi dp in june and love it!! But i am having a small problem with the vdo gauge cluster. Which i know now is very common!! My temp gauge pegs hot as soon as i turn the key on. Some times it works just fine and other times not so fine. The local boat shop told me i need to add a ground wire from the cluster to the block or battery, but did not or would not go into detail. Does anyone have any info. Any and all info would be great!! I really do not want to buy a whole new gauge cluster. Thanks DREW from Illinois

P.S. How can i add pics to the post?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:50 am 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome Aboard!
Everybody seems to eventually develop problems with the guage cluster some are permanent and others are intermittent. There are a few threads in the forums here that will give you some insight. Use the search function at the top of the screen.

Don't worrry, you will eventually get to know your boat and if the guages fail on a trip you'll know what to look for.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:48 am 
Dolphin

Welcome Drew!
I bought my 230 at the end of the year last year so I'm still getting used to it. The folks on this site are fantastic and have the answers to most any problem. As for your dash, I feel your pain. I ran the ground wire to the battery to no avail. Actually, the previous owner had Rapair do the soldering, they just didn't take it directly to the battery when it was reinstalled. I've gotten so fed up with it, I decided to get the new individual gauge panel. ($506 + tax and shipping). I posted a pic of it in this link.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2784&hilit=025+3119+01+dash

I have seen somewhere on this site a picture of your VDO cluster open on the back and it showed where the ground wire was soldered. Just not sure which thead.

This may help as well. Copy of the CDI Manual
http://cdielectronics.com/LinkClick.asp ... uage=en-US

As for pics. I upload to Photobucket.com and then copy the URL directly to my post.

Hope this helps. Looking foward to seeing pics.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:08 pm 
Clownfish

Thanks for the help!!! I was able to contact a gentlemen from rapair and he is sending me a diagram through the mail. When i get it, i will post it. THANKS AGAIN DREW chicagoland rivers and lakes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:52 am 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome Drew. Guys on here will point you in the right direction. Grounding does seem to be an issue with those VDO gauges. You might also seriously consider changing your impeller. Even if it has no immediate effect on your temp gauge, you never know if it was ever changed by the previous owner (unless you obtained written maintenance records as part of the purchase). Just a suggestion before the season starts up.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:11 pm 
Dolphin

Great point Paul. I would absolutely change the impellor as the first thing. With the way Volvo set up the impellor in your rig, it's a piece of cake to change. It's right on the crank pully. 20 minutes tops and $30-$40 part.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:55 pm 
Sting Ray

I replaced my VDO Cluster a couple months ago (still waiting to take the boat out for the first time to test everything). In my case, the "grounding issue" caused the entire cluster to have issues at the same time (not work at all or rest intermittantly). If you are having a problem with just one gauge, is it possible that there is an issue with the temp gauge sender itself (don't know the technical term) rather than it being with the cluster.

2007 Ford Expedition EL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:09 pm 
Clownfish

Thanks guys!! For all the info it has all been very helpful!! the impeller was replaced at the beginning of the year. How often do they go bad? I also had the outdrive removed and inspected they checked everything and said, it all looks good. Except the gauge cluster HA HA !!! THANKS AGAIN DREW

I also replaced the temp sending unit and this did not fix it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:29 pm 
Clownfish

Hope this works http://photobucket.com/drew230
Here's some pics I will get some better ones as soon as i get it out of the garage THANKS DREW