www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:00 pm 
Dolphin

EDIT : I just found some topics that adress this after I posted. OOPS....

It seems my throttle has excessive friction. Also it kind of hangs up a little when pulling back in to neutral. Is there an adjustment for this? It does not seem like a binding since it's about the same through the entire travel. Seems more like the lever is just bolted on too tight.

It's a volvo control.

It's not a huge issue but it makes it hard to operate the boat super smooth.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:05 pm 
email admin your custom rank

hmmm... mine's been the same since day 1. After a Merc O/B it seems really stiff (not smooth at all) but figured it was the shift cable a bit tight. Service guys say it felt 'normal' to them... I still find it a pain in the a$$ and honestly expected better from Volvo.

When you press the middle button in (disconnects the shift cable) it glides backwards and forwards easily as I would have expected.

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:10 pm 

I have noticed the same problem with mine. Any fixes out there?

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:19 pm 

Ahh, so someone else has this problem..! I thought it was just me or my boat or I was just being a bit of a girl.. :lol:

All I know it it makes docking difficult and certailnly not a smooth operation. Definately looking for a fix...

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:23 pm 

Throw me into the mix. I have always meant to try to loosen it, but have never tried. Same thing, coming in to neutral it really gets tight.

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:07 am 
Dolphin

Sounds like it is "normal" for a bunch of us. I will try to adjust the friction setting this weekend if I head up to the lake.

It's definitly a lot harder to operate than my previous Mercruiser shifter. I think I can fix the throttle stiffness with the friction adjustment but sometimes it feels like I am forcing something going back in to neutral. The funny thing is it's super smooth going in to forward.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:23 am 

chubert wrote:
Sounds like it is "normal" for a bunch of us. I will try to adjust the friction setting this weekend if I head up to the lake.

It's definitly a lot harder to operate than my previous Mercruiser shifter. I think I can fix the throttle stiffness with the friction adjustment but sometimes it feels like I am forcing something going back in to neutral. The funny thing is it's super smooth going in to forward.

Same here. Wondering if the newer 09 shifter is any better? I know it looks nicer!

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:37 am 
Shark

we're going on our 3rd summer with ours and just this summer mine started getting stiff. it's only when i first fire it up for the day after it's been sitting. once it warms up it's fine again. then shut it off for some time and it's stiff again but will loosen up as it warms up.

could my issue be something else? can the cables be lubed?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:46 am 

I don't think they can be lubed. The seals on the end where they join the outdrive are too loose to waterproof; I think they are just there to stop major debris from finding their way in. There's bound to be a build up of deposits in there, in particular in a boat moored for 6 months a year as mine is. Also, as the cables are curved as they find their way to the outdrive, they will tend to wear on the inside of the curve.

It's important the gear linkages under the plastic cover on the outdrive are well lubricated with waterproof grease.

My shift cable has got progressively stiffer over the time I have had my boat, I plan to change the cable next Winter.

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:02 pm 
230 Mike

Mine's been stiff since delivery. Volvo's kind of anal about the shifters being too loose. There is an adjustment and it's detailed in the manual, but it's accompanied by a lawyer statement in 500-point type warning you not to make it too loose.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:48 pm 

Hey guys - did anyone come up with a fix for this common VP shifter issue?? Getting ready to get out on the water (season just starting) so figured I'd try and get it resolved before...

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:04 pm 

Last weekend the shifter was not only stiff, but the damned thing actually jammed so I was stuck in neutral! Fixed it on the boat ramp before launching with WD40 and many rude words. Anyway, looked at it closely this week in the comfort of my garage and this is what I found:

Took the cover off the leg and greased all of the pivot points and the cable where it comes in - everything looked OK there, no real difference. Then started working behind the shifter greasing anything that looked like it moved. Also spent a bit of time greasing the inner of the gear slelect cable and working it through. Result is a much smoother shifter action - in fact better than it's ever been - even when new! :shock:

What did I learn? Every winter, grease the cables behind the shifter... you may want to add this to your winterize list. Looks like the shifter cable never came lubed from the factory.

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:53 pm 

There is definitely no way to lube the cable. Coming from the factory they use just a standard teleflex shift cable (good for maybe 2 years)..... do yourself the favor and spend the money on a teleflex Xtreme cable and you will think you are shifting an EVC motor. I wouldn't go messing with the throttle tension as stated there is a lawyer claim with it! lol!!

http://www.facebook.com/twincitymarineinc
http://www.youtube.com/user/twincitymarine
http://www.twitter.com/twincitymarine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:52 am 

Hey Bryan, you were right on the money - I've still got the same old recurring gear shift cable problem - went to unload off the trailer New Years Day and you guessed it - jammed solid - could not select a gear. After much manipulating, it came good so had a couple of days boating with no probs after that.

I now intend to replace this ASAP with an Xtreme cable as you suggest so I am trouble free for the rest of the season. The FW parts list shows both a 14' and a 15' cable for the H190... I am guessing one is the throttle and the other is to the leg for gears? Any idea which one I need for the leg??

If not, then I guess I'll have to haul out the tape measure and get on my back... :lol: (Sounds like a girl I once knew.. hahaha!! :shock: )

Thanks

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:03 am 
Sting Ray

On the newer style four winns [03-09 for me anyways] The cables always seem to have a bend to them just slightly right before the cables go into the shifter control box. Try reaching to the back side of the shifter and carefully move the cables around while moving the shifter handle at the same time till you find the shifter/throttle moving smooth.
Also make sure there is no wire ties holding the cables tight just behind the shifter, You need to get a smooth route with the cables going to the controller or it will be stiff like you all said.

And yes for you volvo guys the Xtreme cable or the red 33C cable is a good replacement when it is time for a new cable.

And for the mercruiser owners if you are still having shifting problems after playing with the cables at the shifter, Then more then likely the shift cable is out of adjustment a few turns at the shift cable bracket assembly mounted on the engine. It's pretty common for the cable to be out of adjustment and causing hard shifting. Good luck with it.