www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Horizon 240 vs. SL242
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:37 pm 
Minnow

I am considering buying either a new 240 or a new sl242. I don't see a forum on iFourWinns for the SL line, but I'd be interested in any thoughts or comments about the boat. Any comparative thoughts/comments between the 240 and 242 would also be appreciated. One question I've got about the SL242 is the front cockpit passenger seat. It doesn't rotate, but the back slides back and forth so that you can either face forward or backward. What do people think of that, and is it a pain not to have a passenger seat that swivels?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:53 pm 
Shark

My money would be on the H240. I hate the look of the SL and think their styling will be a fad of the boating industry.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:02 pm 
All Night Long

Having owned an H240.... It's a fantastic boat.

Had the SL series been out... however... I would've gone that route. I, personally, think that the SL series has a style that will become a classic.

I think the SL, as equipped, is more 'luxurious' to the touch. Build quality will be the same. performance will probably be similar, although I bet that for watersports, the SL will edge out the H240.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:37 pm 
268 Vista

I'm with CC on this one. If I was looking, I would pick the SL. What you really need to do, is try both boats on for size. Sit in the bow of each boat, stretch out, put 3 people up there together, and see the difference in room you will have in the SL. Check storage in both boats.
Consider the availble room in the cockpit of both boats with several passengers, gear, cooler etc. Most of all, take a sea trial in both boats and see what blows your hair back the most.
Weigh the pro's and con's of both, and decide from there. It would be an easy decision for me.

Good Luck, and most of all, have fun making your choice.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:12 pm 
email admin your custom rank

If it were me it would be the SL all the way. If you have never ridden in one please do so. The Horizon series rides nice. But the SL series is amazing. Great boat in a chop. A ton more room inside as well. If we stay the bowrider route, the 242 or 262 will be my next boat for sure.

How can it be a fad when essentially every pleasure boat manufacturer has a line? It is just an upgrade and replacing what we used to know as a deckboat. Watching the marine industry from the inside, trust me, it will not be a fad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:14 pm 
Minnow

One thing I don't like about the 240 is the sink, because it just takes up seating space. Anyone actually use the sink on their boat? If we need water, we bring bottled water. If we need to wash our hands, we jump in the lake.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:22 pm 
268 Vista

I can't speak for the bowrider owners, but on our cruiser, we only use the sink for washing dishes, and ocassionaly for washing our hands. I never saw much use for one on a bowrider.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:25 pm 

I will be honest...going from a cruiser to a bowrider yes we miss the sink. Of course we needed to learn an entirely different style of boating...mainly how we eat. On our cruiser we had a fridge, microwave, etc. and would eat like we do here at home of course. With the bowrider and only going for the day that had to change. Our boat did have the sink option offered, but I am glad we found one without as it took away quote a bit of seating and storage.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:41 pm 
All Night Long

golf101 wrote:
One thing I don't like about the 240 is the sink, because it just takes up seating space. Anyone actually use the sink on their boat? If we need water, we bring bottled water. If we need to wash our hands, we jump in the lake.

We used the sink on the 240 a fair amount. Sometimes, just to get a little water to clean something up... Sometimes, washing your hands... it had uses.

Best of all, that sync area was a great place to have a countertop and garbage can.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:47 pm 

cougarcruiser wrote:
Best of all, that sync area was a great place to have a countertop and garbage can.

This is MUCH better than the average sink that Sea Ray, Chap, Crownline offers :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:05 pm 
Shark

Take away the different color fabric and the unconventional square front-end. Now do a price comparison.

Is it worth it and will you see it in resale?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:14 pm 

Have owned 240 and 260, If I get next boat I would likely pick SL262. SL rides little better than Horizons.. I elected to get H260 two years ago since SL just came out and did not know what to expect. 2009/2010 model of SLs are much more refined in details and the difference of price is well worth for investment….. My only question is current Horizon Hulls are around since 2004 and when would be a new Horizons mold? Understanding current condition of FW/Genmar new mold for horizon might not be for near future. I love to see next generation Horizons.. but for now I would go with SLs

PS. We use our sink on our 260 a lot... far more than porti pot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:00 pm 
230 Mike

The sink does take up a lot of room, so it's good to know if you'll use it. If not, you're wise to avoid it. If so, it's really nice to have.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:09 pm 

I have a 2006 240 and love it. The SL series looks great but have not had a ride in one yet - have not seen one on Lake Norman NC as yet. I agree on the sink in the 240; never used it or the porta potty either. I'd much rather have extra room and seating.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:52 pm 
Clownfish

As an owner of a sl262, I thought I might chime my thoughts in for what it is worth. My wife and I bought our first boat, a 2007 Crownline 20' open bow new. Once we had our 3rd child, the 20' was still usable for our family, but bringing others along was basically out of the question. At last year's boat show, we became real interested in a 24' open bow as it suits our needs better than a cruiser or cuddy. We couldn't quite get the price we wanted but the itch was definitely there and needed to be scratched. We were set on a new Crownline 24'...but then my wife saw the deck boat. She couldn't stop ogling at how large the bow area was...How much of a better topside layout it had. For me, I couldn't get over the minivan mentality. I also liked the depth of the bow seating in the bowrider with little kids (less chance of falling over) versus the deck boat.

I happened to be driving by a Four Winns dealer just after we listed our boat for sale (still not sure what we would buy if we sold ours). The owner took me around and showed me the horizon and the SL. I fell in love. Came home and told my wife I found our next boat...she laughed and asked if it had 3 or 4 engines. I told her she had to see it...deep, wide bow (safety first)...lots of seating and lots of room to move around, and most importantly...NOT a minivan. We went and test drove one the next day...WOW...was all she could say...it is everything we wanted and more. Rides like a cadillac...planes instantly (with the VP 8.1), kids have all the room they could ask for and more.

The dealer sold it before we could pull the trigger. Needless to say we found the 262 on line for a bit less as it was a 2008. We absolutely love it and have never once wished we had bought a traditional open bow...