www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Extended Warranty
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:23 pm 
McLovin

Guys just wondering what your are paying for your volvo extended warranty. Volvo wont publish a price and i want to make sure i dont get worked LOL. I know that crownline only charges a additional 500 for the 2+4 warranty. Wondering what the rest of you are paying I am getting the 3.0L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:24 am 
230 Mike

I paid $150 for the 2+4, with the 5.7GXi. Most dealers quote around $1,100 for it. However, it's something a dealer *can* sell very cheaply as a service to their customer, *if* they choose to. I requested this after everything else on the boat was settled and documented, so I know it wasn't added on somewhere else.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:49 am 
McLovin

mike thanks so much for the info i will see what they say. My deal is all said and done and i wish volvo atleast had a MSRP so i knew what to expect or atleast knew what a fair price was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:57 pm 
230 Mike

I think (but am not sure) that my dealer paid several hundred dollars on my behalf for the 2+4. They figured their profit was in the boat sale, and they could give up that amount of profit in order to make the sale. The sales price of the boat was about 24% off MSRP.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:23 pm 
McLovin

mike i was thinking 500$ would be a fair price for the 2+4 warranty and peace of mind for 6 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:33 am 
230 Mike

Yeah, extended warranties are one of those "in the eye of the beholder" things. Some would tell you that you're nuts to spend $500 for one. Others would tell you that's dirt cheap (the ones who paid the $1100 asking price without questioning it). If the warranty gives you lots of peace of mind (like it does for me), and your boat deal's already done (you probably don't have much additional leverage), then it's probably a wise investment for you. It doesn't take much to do $500 worth of damage to a sterndrive, but remember - the things that are the most common reasons for damage aren't covered (not winterizing in time). I can't remember if hitting submerged hazards is covered, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't.

In the end, it's much more important, I think, to have GOOD boat insurance, keep it paid up, and be intimately familiar with what it doesn't cover. Which is why, in addition to the 2+4, I've got a yacht policy on my 24' bowrider.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:27 pm 
Dolphin

I think I paid $1100 for mine but it was for a 268 Vista and covered it all and the gen for 6 years. I know this is a Horizon thread but what part of Table Rock are you at Mike. It's not too often I run across somebody from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:32 pm 
McLovin

guy i just got quoted for the extended warranty 2400 !!!!! i said forget it i can replace a ton of stuff for that price. He said i have untill the end of my 2 year warranty to decide anyways. I just dont see how a warranty on a 4cyl could be that much. I wish i could but the warranty direct from volvo like mercruiser does. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:22 am 
Mental Floss

mkperceptions wrote:
guy i just got quoted for the extended warranty 2400 !!!!! i said forget it i can replace a ton of stuff for that price. He said i have untill the end of my 2 year warranty to decide anyways. I just dont see how a warranty on a 4cyl could be that much. I wish i could but the warranty direct from volvo like mercruiser does. Any suggestions?

Shop around...any dealer can sell you the Volvo 2+4 (which is really provided by FPC) or what ever they are calling it now. Most are near pure profit for the dealer. It's just takes a touch of work on your part to find a dealer that figures a bit of profit for no work is better than you hyperventilating when they give you ridiculous prices and laughing in their face.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:26 pm 
Dolphin

Agreed, the warranty on the drive I got for free because at the time Mercruiser was throwing it in for free as a boat show deal and Volvo was not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:21 am 
McLovin

Did any of you guys get a offer direct from volvo when your 2 year warranty was close to being up. I know alot of manufacturers for other things send those out when you products are getting close to being up on warranty?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:51 pm 
Andiamo

MK, Yes I did get an extended warranty offer direct from Volvo right around the expiration of my 2 yr original warranty for my 8.1 but it was over $2K and I decided against it. The best bet as mentioned is to negotiate it from the dealer for next to nothing after you have agreed on everything else. However as some on this board will tell you, make sure to follow up with the dealer and with the Mfg to make sure the dealer did not just pocket your $ and a couple of yrs down the road you find out you are not covered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:39 pm 
230 Mike

Choices, we only get to TR 1 or 2 times per year - it's a bit of a long tow from KC, especially with the "hills" south of Springfield. I'll keep an eye out for ya though!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:41 pm 
Dolphin

Hey, I am in KC also! Do you guys go through Springfield to get there? We take 71 to 44 to 39. About three and a half hours and you don't hit the hills until very end. What part of the lake do you go to? We start off at Campbel Point and go a ways each direction depending on the mood.

Not too many Four Winns around here that I see, where did you get yours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:31 pm 
230 Mike

Yeah, we go through Springfield - we took the I-44 route once and hope to never take it again! Too many 18-wheelers going 90mph, 4 feet apart. My truck does OK towing the boat, but it doesn't have enough power to spare to handle that level of traffic.

We do seem to be kind of an exclusive crowd in the KC area :). I had decided I wanted a FW and in '05 there were only two dealers anywhere near - Lakeport at LOTO, and Boat House in Topeka. Boat House was much closer of course, which has turned out to be a huge blessing, plus they beat LP on price by a wide margin, they were able to order exactly the boat we wanted (LP couldn't order any more for the year and didn't have our specific boat in stock), they practically gave us the Volvo 2+4, and have been great on service since the sale.

We boated a couple of years out of Indian Point, but last year stayed in Kimberling City for the first time. Much better!!! And the boating out towards the Shell Knob end is unbelievable.

We don't have a place there. We usually just plan one big week there and rent a 3br condo someplace where we can slip the boat nearby. This year we hope to find some more affordable alternative. The nice condos down there run around $1,300 a week :shock:.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic