www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windsheild reinforcement
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:07 pm 
Shark

On some site somwhere I remember someone had made L shaped stainless brackets to reinforce the corners of Four Winns walkthru windshields. My 200 Horizon windsheild keeps seperating and I think they would hold everything together a lot better than the single sheet metal screws that keep coming out. Has anyone made some or know where they can be purchased?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:39 am 
230 Mike

I wonder if it would be better (and easier!) to reinstall the existing screws with a small amount of silicone on the threads? I'd think anything to keep them from vibrating out would be sufficient.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:09 pm 
Shark

Hey Mike, you make a good point and I will relook at the screws but I think the holes may be overly worn so that will mean bigger diameter screws but they can't be longer because the frame is only so thick.
I think that the brackets would also add some "beef" to the whole frame. Is this a common problem with walk thru windsheilds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:00 pm 
230 Mike

I can't say if it's common, but I did notice last summer that the first 3 screws on both sides of my walkthrough had backed out. The ones right next to the walkthrough were out about 1/16"; the others had backed out less. At the time I just tightened them up, and they snugged down well. After your post, I'm inclined to add an item to my spring prep list this year - to remove all the windshield screws one at a time, put a dab of silicone on them, and reinstall.

Those screws are going into a marine plywood backer, by the way, at least in the newer Horizons. I assume yours is also.

If the screw holes are getting oversized or getting buggered up in any way, my advice would be to talk to a qualified pro. You might do more harm than good trying to do an alternative fix yourself. If you end up with screwed up fiberglass or a damaged windshield and they see a DIY repair job nearby, you may end up with a *much* larger repair, and all out-of-pocket. I betcha one of those windshields is NOT cheap, and getting one for an 11 year old boat could take a significant amount of time.

This is one of those things that seems so easy to take care of, but make me nervous.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic