www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good Price?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:55 pm 
Tadpole

Iam buying a FW 200 Horizon and this is my first boat. I've shopped around some and looked at a BL 195, and a SR 205. The SR was a nice boat, but the FW seemed liked it would fit our needs better as a family[Wife & 2 kids] ski boat. The FW 200 has just about every option including the Wakeboard Tower and racks. Iam having a hard time deciding between engines, and maybe someone could shed some light on this. I can't decide between Volvo Penta 5.0 carb. or the 5.0 injected, there is about a $2,200 price difference [will the extra 50 hp be that noticeable]. The dealer said he is giving me a "boat show price" :P of $38,000, this is with the injected engine, good price or "no". Iam pretty nervous about spending this much for my first boat, but its one good looking boat!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:30 am 
Tadpole

Hey Carl,

I'm new to this forum but I thought I'd pass on some info my dealer told me about engine choices. Others on this forum please correct me if I'm wrong, but I went through the same decision of 5.0 carb vs 5.0 injected and what I was told is that the extra 50hp is barely noticible.

Again if I'm wrong, pls someone correct me, but I just bought a similar boat...a 203 Fish and Ski...and from what my salesman said, the 5.0 carb engine will give you more "out of hole" power...while the 5.0 fuel injected will give you an extra MPH or two at top end. At the dealership I bought my boat the salesmans pitch also included that they dont bring any 5.0 fuel injected models in due to in his opinion most people are looking for "out of hole" power.

There are some other considerations that I went through when deciding on engine such as the fuel injected is easier to start on cold starts, cost, etc. In the end I decided to go with the 5.0 carb which time will tell if it was a good decision, but I personally am looking for "out of hole" power and am also putting on a Hi Five prop to help with that which also lowers my top end slightly.

As for price, I have no idea...I compared my price to the online MSRP after I built the exact same boat and mine price was 2000 lower...so I hope i got a decent deal LOL. So only thing I can suggest is build your boat on the four winns website and see how it compares.

Anyway, thought i'd pass on what I heard about the engines seeing as I just went through this decision.

Gratz on the new family addition,

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:14 am 
Andiamo

Carl, go for the fuel injection! In the long run you will be much happier!!!!
No priming or pumping to start, smoother acceleration at all speeds, LESS MAINTENANCE, LESS MAINTENANCE, and LESS MAINENANCE!! I personally do not know about more power out of the hole, but IMHO that's a Salesman trying to push his Carb models! If your engine is sized properly for the boat, and you have the right prop, you will have no problem "Out of the Hole"!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:53 am 
email admin your custom rank

I am going to second Giaccomo said. You got to have fuel injection. Not just for performance but for safety too. Nothing worse than being at a tight spot at the ramp and having a cold engine die out on you. My wife and I bought our first boat last year and it was fuel injected. I couldn't believe how easy it was to start and stay running. You get a lot better response out of it too. Spend the extra money, you wont' regret it. Also you have to sell that boat someday and it will be a lot easier to sell with Fuel Injection.

With regards to price, somewhere on one of these crazy forums (to many to remember where) but I read somewhere that a "good" boat show price is 15-25% of MSRP at a boat show. I may be way off but I think that's about right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:16 am 
Mental Floss

Woggy has it right. Configure the boat on FW website and figure 20% off the MSRP.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:49 am 
Tadpole

Thought I'd post some of the forums that I read when I was making my decision...

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a= ... id=1251584

and this is one forum where the salesman hole shot comment was supported....so I hope hehe...but also points out easier starting, better fuel economy and higher top end with mpi

http://regalownersclub.com/Lounge/topic ... IC_ID=3666

and also

http://boards.trailerboats.com/cgi-bin/ ... 6;t=001010

Anyway...just wanted to post where I had read some peoples opinions and theres likes and dislikes on both sides.

My favorite opinion of the lot was "I can replace the entire carb on the 5.0 for less than it takes to service the fuel injection system". Not sure as to the truth in it as I'm not a mechanic...but thought it was funny non the less.

Either way I'm sure you wont be disappointed,

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:51 am 
2007 200 Horiz

We purchased a 2007 200 Horizon, with the 4.3 MXi VP, no Tower, and we got ours for $30,000. I live in SC, so I don't know about region prices and if one area is higher or lower but this was done in the middle of January, just as a compare for you.
We also went with the Fuel Injection and changed to the Volvo engine based on the great advice I received on the board here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:04 am 

milchuk wrote:
My favorite opinion of the lot was "I can replace the entire carb on the 5.0 for less than it takes to service the fuel injection system". Not sure as to the truth in it as I'm not a mechanic...but thought it was funny non the less.

I know a guy who has a 1998 Four Winns Sundowner. (he's also the guy responsible for getting me into not only boating but Four Winns). He has been struggling with his carberation for the past 2 seasons. He's had it rebuit, replaced, etc... and still the boat just doesn't quite run right. That's why I went with Fuel injection. But like you said, either way, as long as you are buying a Four Winns, you can't go wrong.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:31 pm 
Tadpole

Thanks Board,

You have been a big help! I feel much better about the price Iam paying, as that puts me in the 15% to 20% off msrp. Being a first time boat owner, easy starting and less maintenance will ease my mind, as I wasn't looking to faster with the fuel injected engine, Iam more worried about backing the boat down a crowded boat ramp, and getting it in and out of the water!

I have one more question [for today anyway!] my dealer has a showroom model that I could take home today, and the only thing they would have add to the boat would be to install a swim matt. The salesman told me its only been sitting on the showroom floor for about 2 months, and they are willing to take off $500 off, if I take this boat. There are a couple small problems with the showroom boat, such as some of the FW emblems are peeling off [I saw other people posting about this problem, I don't know why FW would put these emblems on a surface that isn't flat, as these are the only emblems that are coming loose] and the bow scuff plate, which appears to be held on with adhesive, and is loose. They promised me, these are all easy fixes? They promised me I could have my boat built and delivered in about 5 weeks. I don't mind waiting as I can't use it for about a month or two anyway.

Thanks milchuk for the other websites, and MdRobins35 if SC was a little closer I would take a road trip, as you got a great deal!

Again thanks for all your help,

Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:16 pm 
2007 200 Horiz

We got a same offer on taking a show room boat. I don't know about the other boaters in here. But me personally I want to know what has gone on inside and around the boat. 2 months is a lot of people in and out of the boat, not really caring about correctly placing feet or hands, moving the wheel around, pushing things... I could just be paranoid.
To me 5 weeks is nothing to wait for a true brand new boat and only is 500$ more, but I don’t want to spend your money, just something to think about.

Let us know how it all works out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:20 pm 

MdRobins35 wrote:
To me 5 weeks is nothing to wait for a true brand new boat and only is 500$ more, but I don’t want to spend your money, just something to think about.

Why not? It's fun to spend other peoples money. Just ask my wife, She's great at spending mine. :D I am assuming you are financing this boat. If that truely is the case, $500 for piece of mind that other people havn't been messing with your boat is well worth it in my opinion. Besides, you get all the options, colores, and ammenities that YOU want. If you can't use it for a couple weeks anyways, who cares? Right?

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:01 pm 

Go for the fuel injected 5.0 Volvo. I have owned both the carb and the fuel injected version of the 5.0L. The fuel injected always starts up without pumping. Hot or cold the engine always easily starts. The power from the fuel injected is very noticeable. You will never complain about a boat that is too easy or too powerful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:00 am 
Guppy

I am not mechanically inclined, but would like to make a comment. If in the future, the only gas available contains ethanol, should this be a consideration for carbed vs injected? Just a thought, as I have no idea, but keep seeing articles that have warnings about ethanol fuels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:22 pm 
Clownfish

I ordered my 200 Horizon new in 1999 with fuel injection 5.0 V.P SX and it has performed flawlessly. Also got the snap-in carpet which was an option at the time, not sure if thats a standard feature now and had them put in an hour meter too. The way I see it is I wouldn't buy a car with a carb why a boat. We do most of our boating at Lake Havasu/Lake Mojave which is about 700-800 Feet elevation and Lake Powell which is almost 4000 Ft and the fuel injection requires no adjustments.

Ross