www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tires on my trailer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:53 pm 
McLovin

Guys im getting my fourwinns this weekend and i need to know what size wheels come on the standard trailer with the 180. are they 14 or 15? Anyone out there have a idea because i need to order a spare tire carrier.

Post subject: Tires
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:22 pm 
The Bug Doctor

Probably Carlisle 15".

Check with FW Customer Service.

2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat

http://www.seabrook-services.com

Post subject: Tires
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:23 pm 
The Bug Doctor

Probably Carlisle 15".

Check with FW Customer Service.

2004 Ford F-150 Lariat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:24 pm 
The Bug Doctor

:oops: Sorry for the double!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2004 Ford F-150 Lariat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:35 pm 
McLovin

no prob. my dealer actually just called me and said 14 on the 180 :) sweet so i ordered it from cabellas. anyone using the sandek hourmeter / tach combo. it says all you have to do is hook it up to the spark plug wire.... but how is it powered?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:49 pm 
230 Mike

Not to beat this tired old horse again, but - you should plan to replace those tires fairly soon IMO. LOTS of horror stories with the Carlisles. My Good Year dealer gave me credit for a free tire when I pulled all my new Carlisles off in exchange for new Marathons.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:53 am 
McLovin

Yea i hear carlisles are crap. Weird how a 80k mastercraft comes with em hahaha. I will be getting a decent spare and probably replace the others. My tire dealer won't give me any deal because i get everything wholesale LOL. But I will consign them to sell them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:08 am 
Mental Floss

I purchased a new trailer in March of last year when mine was stolen. It came with Carlisles. I had replaced the Carlisles on my other trailer with Marathons. The new Carlisles, 245/765R16 s have been great, no issues at all. They have a years worth of travel (about 5000 miles) much of it being in the heat of the Florida summer. We have a bunch on Marathons on trailers in the club, they appear to be failing at a rate no different from the Carlisles. I helped replace a Marathon with a side wall failure just last month and this was on a trailer from a member who is anal about his maintenance. I know the tire wasn't "curbed" because it was the middle on a triaxle trailer.

I an beginning to believe that the bad rap Carlilses have gotten was because they were being replaced by Radials and they Carlsilses were bias ply.

On the 170 I purchased, the Carlisle radials failed with sidewall blow outs, however, this would have happened to ANY radial as they sat in the same spot for a couple of years. Radials flat spot when not moved and have sidewall failures when that happens. I purchased some radials from Tire Kingdom much cheaper than Marathons and they have been excellent tires.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:32 pm 
230 Mike

I've heard of folks having Carlisle spares - never having been on the ground - exploding while going down the highway, damaging the side of the boat in the process. I've heard of people having two Carlisles disintegrating on the same trip, leaving them on the side of the road even though they had a spare. I've heard too many of these stories to think it's just myth, ganging up, or bad maintenance.

On the other hand, I've also heard a few people say that they've been told by reputable tire dealers that Carlisle has made some design changes to their tires in the last year or two and that they should be much better. I dunno. I just know I don't trust them, at least yet.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm 
McLovin

mike i agree, kinda like getting kirkland tires LOl I would rather go with a brand name any day. Luckily i only trail my boat like 20-30 miles tops but i will be getting a matching spare tire and probably then change one out and keep the other as a spare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:41 pm 
Clownfish

Two years ago on our way to Lake Powell the right rear tire (Carlisle) tread seperated and bent the you know what out of my fender. After arriving in Page I bought a replacement for the spare. After a great week on the lake we headed home and then the left rear tire did the same thing, bent the fender, broke the tail light and wadded up my licence plate like a piece of paper. When we got to Lake Havasu I replaced all the remaining tires. The saleman at the Big O Tires said I should contact Goodyear the owner of the Carlisle brand and tell them what happened. Goodyear had the dealer in Havasu send them the tire for inspection. Long story short they paid for all the damage to my trailer but not the tires since the replacements weren't there brand. The tires where 6 years old with about 4000 miles on them, always garaged and looked new.

Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:48 am 
Minnow

I just had the same, right rear blowout on the way home.. Carlisle... The entire read separated from the sidewalls.. Gonna change em all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:09 pm 
Narwhal

Anybody complain to Four Winns about this? They continue to provide Carlisles with every trailer they sell in '07. Customer Service is FW's forte, so why are they sticking with Carlisle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:43 pm 
230 Mike

Few production trailer companies use anything else. If you bring it up they say, "We aren't aware of any problems."

I think it'll get better when there's an organized effort to compile irrefutable evidence, but not until.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:40 am 
McLovin

I talked to my tire guy and he said he sells carlisle too and they are pretty cheap. He also said he has heard a few complaints but ussually only after 2-3 years use. SO im probably good this summer and replace next. I think the longest trip i have ever trailered on was 55 miles and i am really good at checking pressure and condition and sidewall for bubbles since im a mechanic. Im getting a spare and it definately wont be carlisle and you can bet as soon as i get a flat i will replace the other with a non carlisle spare too so then i will have two non carlisles LOL. Does anyone know where i can get a spare wheel that looks like the one on my 180. This is what it looks like. Image