www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:58 am 
Forty six and Two

We are 30 minutes from Big Sebago lake (sebago lake) and when we are at our camp on Little sebago lake we are 10 minutes from Big sebago lake.

Our lake is on the right off 302 and 115 in windam/gray and Sebago lake starts on the left of 302 at the same spot and goes north for the next 20 minutes up 302 with many parks marinas and camp roads along the way. the further north you go past windam the closer 302 gets to sebago lake.

Sebago is a big lake, its nice but super crowded in the sumers. Our lake is much smaller and quiet and thats how we like it.... sebago is a lot like winnapasaki (sp) in NH. Sebago also doesnt ever seem to freeze completely which is odd and it has some super deep spots....

Sebago is easy to get too exit I95 in Westbrook and head straight up 302 depending on the marina you launch from it could take 20 minutes or an hour to get to form I95. Let me know when you guys are coming up...you might like to check out little sebago too...

Dave

73 International Scout II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:35 am 
Andiamo

Boy, you guys are bringing back some fond memories from the mid 80's when I lived in MA. I worked in Fitchburg and trailered the boat to both Sebago and the big "W"! I really loved Winnipesauke (sp??). Sebago was real nice. I remember mostly that the water was so clear! The only other thing I remember about Sebago was that there were a fair amount of unmarked rocks just below the surface in some spots!! Is it still that way, or have they marked them since then?? I also trailered it to Watertown, MA and put in at the public ramp on the Charles and used to cruise the Charles thru the lock into the Boston Harbor! One of our favorite trips especially when our friends and family were up from NY/NJ! Like I said, brings back some great memories! From Athol, I would think that Winnipesauke is pretty convenient! We used to cruise the Weirs and raft up at Braun Bay! Back then the launch ramp in Meridith was very convenient! Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:28 pm 
email admin your custom rank

4WINNS - where did you find the class III for $130?

I'm assuming that this is what you're looking at: http://www.autoworldaccessories.com/script/newcategorypage.asp?category_id=429 - the one that mounts below the class II

I'm keeping this in mind as an option, but want to see if someone can swap out the factory class II for the class III.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:18 pm 

I love going down the charles we use the ramp in newton i'm assuming the same one you use. my uncle also has a 34' searay he keeps at the yatch club down the street from the and they go everywhere from there Winni is nice too i've spent many days up on that lake

robbo the one i found is on the jc whitney site i think its 130 or 135 with free s&h pretty sure that the one i'm gonna get
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ogId=10614

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:19 pm 

Since you already have the Class II, you might want to check with Hidden Hitch first and make sure that model is designed to mount under the standard Class II.

The link that I provided is to the 2006 version which states on Hidden Hitch's site for use with models with Class II only. This may be because Class II is standard, I'm not sure if this was the case for your model.

Seems like a pretty simple install though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:03 am 

How far are you guys towing with these Explorers? I have a Dodge Ram with a 6" lift 35" tires with a 360 in it. When my boat is full of gas, beer, ice and gear I can feel it behind me in a big way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:20 pm 

the furthest i'll probably tow it is up to winnepesauke in nh about 2 1/2 hours. or i might make the trip this year to sebago lake in maine not sure how far that is. but worst case i just borrow my dads 1500 silverado with a 350 in it which towed our old and bigger boat beautifully

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:17 pm 
Forty six and Two

TX - unless you geared down Im guessing that those 35's are whats killing you. See above for my towing experience...im guessing most midsize trucks or suv's should tow these with little trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:08 pm 

Txjole
I was kinda thinking the same thing about the tires and lift. does the trailer sway alot? or something else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:04 pm 

Either way, those are huge tires. I'm suspecting more for off-road use than highway towing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:13 am 

Architectdave wrote:
TX - unless you geared down Im guessing that those 35's are whats killing you. See above for my towing experience...im guessing most midsize trucks or suv's should tow these with little trouble.

I'm geared at 3.72. It pulls fine 80-85 mph no problem. I just can't see an Explorer being the way to go. Will it pull it up a wet ramp? I feel it in my shock travel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:22 am 

we bought the explorer 1 1/2 years ago before we got the boat so at that time it wasn't a concern about towing. if the boat i bought was bigger than i think i would have more of an issue with the truck towing it. but for now i'm just gonna see how it goes if i feel i need somthing else than i'll go that route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:53 am 
Forty six and Two

Txjole wrote:
Architectdave wrote:

I'm geared at 3.72. It pulls fine 80-85 mph no problem. I just can't see an Explorer being the way to go. Will it pull it up a wet ramp? I feel it in my shock travel.

The reason I mention it is my scout with 345 and 3.73 gears with 33's wont pull jack, Im dynoed for 270hp at the rear wheels....

Check out my post about about my 97 pathfinder and my old really super heavy 20'er wasnt a problem, I cant imagine an explorer would have a problem....todays boats are 1/2 the weight of the old wood and glass boats...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:05 pm 

4Winns - In case you haven't ordered your class III yet, I ordered one today from etrailer.com that was $132 for the 2006 model. Hopefully it will come this week so I can install this weekend.

I'll let you know if it is truly a 30 minute install.

I'll feel better having the beefier hardware to support the weight since I'll be between 3000-3500#.

Now I will just need to fine a cover for the Class II that will disguise it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:52 pm 

robbo i agree about getting the bigger hitch. i haven't ordered one yet but am planning to this week the one i found on jcwhitney was about 145 w shipping. how much was shipping with the one you got?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next