www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:27 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Shipping was $15 so it's about the same total cost. I did some checking and the 2005 model was more (150 before shipping), which is odd because at most places it was less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:04 pm 

i'm gonna do some more checking around too. i did a search and found a bunch of hitches but they are all more than i want to spend. there is a speed shop where i used to live i might give them a call and see what he can do for me i've gotten hitches there before real cheap so we'll see. i don't really need it right away anyway i have til april 20 before i pick up the boat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:58 pm 

I just came in from installing this thing and it took a little longer than the 20-30 minute install time (2x longer).

Here's a few pointers for you:

First run through a carwash with a good underbody flush first to avoid dirt particles falling on you.

Lower the tire to the ground (makes a great stand for a light and a place to rest your head).

Use the jack to push the hitch into place if it is giving you problems.

Finally, be very careful with the wires used to fish the bolts through the frame. Only two come with it, so you need to use each one twice. I had trouble with the final bolt and just about lost it in the frame (this is what took so long). The bolt finally came through the hole as the last of the wire came unwrapped...talk about a close call.

Now, I need to find a plug for the small hole and something to hold the wire adapter better than zip ties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:20 pm 

yeah i'm no stranger underneath the car and hate that crud falling all over especially the road salt burns your eyes. i remeber when i put the hitch on my maxima that was a pain same deal i had to fish a wire through the rear bumper to get the bolts in and they didn't even give me anything to do this with so i made my own little snake. i don't know why they say its gonna take 20 -30 min. usually when you put a time limit on things it takes twice that. thanks for the feedback we'll see what happens with mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:46 pm 

well i ended up getting the curt hitch from jc whitney. it was 130 w/ free shipping we'll see what happens when it gets here. hopefully the install goes smooth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:11 pm 

Good luck, let us know how it goes. Take caution fishing the bolts through the frame.

I was supposed to get to try mine out today and finally pick up my boat, but mother nature had other ideas and dumped snow.

If you have a Farm & Fleet nearby, they have hitch accessories on sale 25% off. I picked up a pre-mounted ball/mount/pin combo for $17.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:56 am 
Forty six and Two

I dont know how others feel about it but I always drill thru the ball nut and stud and install a big cotter pin in my hitches......i have a 1-7/8" and 2" set up like this and never have to worry aout it spinning off or loosening up....

73 International Scout II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:55 pm 

well got the hitch in and on. the install took 45min-1hour. i had no trouble fishing the bolts down the frame i used and electrical snake and taped the bolt and washer to it worked well. the only trouble i had was removeing 2 out of the 6 bolts in the bumper the 2 that are right up against the back of the truck so it was difficult to get the ratchet in there but i got them out and back in, thats what killed my install time. but the hitch looks good even though there is another one above it (stupid ford) i'll get to test it out next friday as long as the weather permits me to. i'll let you guys know how my first tow goes. i'm so excited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:22 pm 

Good idea with the electrical snake. I had used the wires that came with it and came within a millimeter of losing a bolt in my frame.

You'll end up with the perfect height with the 2" drop from the class III. I picked up my 18' Horizon RX today and it worked out great. There was hardly any sag in the rear. The ride had a little more bounce than normal, but otherwise, the boat stayed attached :shock:

I have some pictures that I'll post when I can get them off of my wife's camera.

Good luck Friday, hope your weather is better than my original scheduled date (5" of snow)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:02 pm 

Here's a picture with everything hooked up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:09 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Looks great Rob!

Think you need to get a Blue Explorer so everything matches :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:30 pm 

Thanks, but now I have the patriotic red/white/blue theme :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:30 pm 

looks great rob i'd say we could trade explorers because mine is blue but my boat is also blue and i think the red goes a little bit better with your boat. i'll post some pics of ours once we get her all set up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:57 am 
2007 200 Horiz

robbo3 wrote:
Thanks, but now I have the patriotic red/white/blue theme :wink:

Good Point...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:51 pm 

Well i picked up the boat today and what a beautiful day it was 65 and sunny. The boat looks awsome all cleaned up and waxed( which i'm gonna do again tomorrow). we hooked the boat up and tested the lights but they didn't work the connector on the explorer was all coroaded but after a little cleaning they worked fine, and off we went to the lake. the boat towed awesome i was really surprised at how well the truck did after today i'm not worried at all about towing with it. after the boat warmed up which took a little bit it ran and handled great we weren't out long the baby was overtired and very cranky but i think sunday we will be heading out again. i'll try to post some pics up this weekend

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next