www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:59 pm 
email admin your custom rank

hey guys i have a question about my vehicle towing our new 180. our explorer has the 4.0 V6 w/ the class II hitch rated to tow 3500 lbs. if i put on a bigger hitch how do you guys think the truck will tow the boat? you think it will be ok?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:17 pm 

We could use a bit more info. What year explorer is it? Is it the STD explorer or the Sport trac?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 pm 

I have the same situation. I'm purchasing a used Horizon RX, which is about the same size. I have a 2006 Explorer XLT with the 4.0 V6 and the Class II and 3.55 gears.

I plan on trying the standard package locally, if I need to I'll either have the Class II replaced with a Class III or mount a Class III below the Class II if the first option is outrageously expensive. I would also consider changing the gearing to the 3.73.

I could be wrong, but it appears with the towing package to upgrade to 5,000# capacity adds the Class III and 3.73 gears. The light adapter is also 7-pin, but that doesn't affect weight capacity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:12 pm 

the explorer is a 2005 and its an XLT. It has the 3.55 gears. the towing capacity w/ the class II is 3500lbs. the boat and trailer together are a little over 3000lbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:33 pm 

Add fuel and gear and like me, you're going to be close to the limit.

I'm going to give it a try on a few local tows and see if I am comfortable with it. If I'm not, the upgrades begin.

My theory, someone correct me if I'm wrong, is the only thing holding us back from the 5,000# limit is the Class II (why do they put that on anyway) and the 3.55 gearing.

Have you towed with you Explorer yet?

I was going to tow with a minivan that also had the 3500# capacity, so I guess I'm better off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm 

i haven't towed with it yet i pick the boat up april 20. i did ask a ford dealership though, and the kid there said the only difference is the hitch. he didn't mention anything about gear ratios. everything i find says 5000 with the 3.75. but i'm gonna give it a shot i think it will be fine it just mu=ight be a little sluggish but hey whos racing anyway. and if all else fails my dad has a 1500 silverado that towed his 232 rinker with ease

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:56 pm 

Let us know how it goes. I'm not sure if I'll pick mine up before then, it all depends on how fast all of the snow melts. I'll post back and let you know how it goes if it is sooner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:06 pm 

One more thing...I had emailed Ford about towing information and they referred me to the dealer. Go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:27 pm 

i made a post on the ford truck forums and they advised puting an oil and trans cooler on the truck and it should be fine. we'll see how much all that will cost and see about doing it. i will let you know how the first tow goes come april

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:52 pm 
Shark

I have no trouble towing a '96 200 with my '02 Bauer 6 cly explorer. Here in flatland Nj I don't think the rear end ratio is that critical (IMO). To add a higher class hitch means mounting it under the exisiting hitch as ford welded the smaller hitches on and our experienced hicth dealer says they really can't be removed and replaced. So you're stuck with two different recievers on the back. Why didn't ford use the larger reciever like GMC does? I have called ford and there is no difference in brakes, trans cooler etc. You should have no trouble except going up steep grades. Make sure the brakes on your trailer are working no matter what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:35 am 

unfortunatly my trailer doesn't have brakes. i got the galvy gatorhyde trailer brakes are an option though i didn't take it. but the boat is small and light enough that i think it'll be fine as long as i give myself plenty of room to stop. i don't get why ford made the hitch the way they did kinda stupid i think but i know i'll have the 2 hitches and it will look a little silly but you got to do what you got to do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:06 am 
Shark

Not sure why you need the bigger hitch. Why not use the money to add brakes? I've never read of a hitch failure but not stopping is a different thing. Also worse case-you will have the same safety chains with either hitch if that part fails but have never seen that. Have your boat weighted and I doubt you be much more that 3500 lbs. I can however feel a differnece in stopping towing anything over 1000 bls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:36 am 
Sting Ray

I have a H210 and tow it occasionally with our 05 Explorer that has the V8 and the Class III/IV Hitch rated for 5000 lbs. With the 210, you can feel it behind you and I wouldn't take it for a long haul with my equipment. I keep the boat in dry stack and will bring it home for cleaning/maint but that is only a 30 min drive. I live in east TN, and if I were in a flatland area, I would probably venture a little further. Thank goodness for trailer brakes tho'!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:29 am 
Forty six and Two

For what its worth I used to have a 20' 1973 searay that weighd a ton, fiberglass over wet wood, it was super heavy and had a single axle, no brakes with a lot of tongue weight. I pulled that back and forth to the lake 2 or 4 times a year on I95, 65 miles each way with my 97 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4. Now I'm not going to tell you it was a breeze but it did it so I'm guessing with a comparable Ford you would be towing your boat no sweat. I plan on towing our new H190 with the Path.....

Dave

73 International Scout II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:59 pm 

I think what i'm gonna do is get the bigger hitch and just see how it goes from there. the hitch is only 130 bucks so its short change. and if i feel i need upgrades i'll get to them then thanks for all the input. i'm just waiting to pick her up in April and well the ice to melt.

Architectdave, how far are you from sebago lake? I've never been there but think we might venture that way this year. have you ever been there?