www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:28 pm 
Guppy

I'm the new owner of a 2005 H230 with the stock clarion xmd3 source unit with the Sirius (sir-cl1) receiver. I've been able to locate the user manuals for both but have not been able to locate the xmd3 installation manual which should have the wiring info. I was reading several threads on the upgraded sound system that was available in 2005. Seemed there was an amp located behind the cockpit station and a sub just aft of the captians chair. I was wondering if the speaker wires are easily accessible where four winns would have installed the factory amp behind the cockpit? Or should I plan on installing the amp where the source unit & sirius receiver is installed. Looks like the cockpit location makes the running of the amps power much easier. Any advice for a new four winns owner would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:31 pm 
230 Mike

I can try to help - same boat - but am not sure what you're asking. You have the non-upgrade unit and are trying to add the upgrade?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:36 pm 
Guppy

Basically trying to add an amp. Doesn't have to be the clarion amp. My main goal is to gain a little better sound quality.

Just not sure how four winns would have run the speaker wire. Are they coming individually from all speakers to the source unit or do they all cross the location where if you had ordered the upgrade they would be in the cockpit location?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:13 pm 
230 Mike

OK, I'm not sure about the cable routing. If Cincy Aquaholic sees this he can probably tell you all about that. If it helps, though, here are some pics of the factory upgraded system in case they'll help you with ideas.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:57 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Happy to help if I can but bear in mind I started with the upgraded system on boat before gutting it. So, I had the clarion amp and sub just like 230mike. Pulled it all out though and did this:

Here's some more random pics of the situation.

Under the head unit:

I do not know if boats without the upgraded system (i.e. no amp) have the speaker wires run to under the helm storage. The speaker wires probably run directly from the head unit to the 4 speakers. But don't let that disuade you. As part of my upgrade I ran all new speaker wire and power and ground cables. On these boats its not to hard. Some patience, fish tape and some scrapped knuckles and you can run all all the required speaker outs from the head unit over to the storage, to the amp, then to their respective speakers. Then just run your power and ground from the battery up the starboard side. Kinda simple.

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:13 am 
Narwhal

Your existing speakers, what Clarion 1605's?, will be wired directly into your xmd3's wire harness. I believe the wiring diagrams in the back of the FW Owners manual have the color coding for Front/Rear/Left/Right - if not you can use the xmd3's user guide to figure it out. You might have to extend them to run around to the amp mounting location shown in pics above. You'll need to run the remote amp power lead there too. The bigger job will be running 10 gauge wires for amp power and ground back to the battery - don't forget to fuse the power lead as close to the battery as possible, and use ignition protected fusing. Gotta warn you, going down this path will eventually lead to speaker upgrades, addition of a sub, a second battery & switch (and possibly combiner), and probably LEDS. Been there, done that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:45 am 

Jim_R wrote:
The bigger job will be running 10 gauge wires for amp power and ground back to the battery - don't forget to fuse the power lead as close to the battery as possible, and use ignition protected fusing.

On the 230/240 250/260 this is a really easy run especially if your batteries are on the starboard side. There is plenty of room and no unreachable places along the gunwhale to run the big cables. Plus, being heavy gauge they are more easily pushed through. The one spot that it make get a little trickier, but not much, is right at the helm IF you don't have the subwoofer already cut out or a deck plate there to help feed them into the storage area.

The harder part is running the wire from the head unit into the bow area on the port side past the head (toilet room). I recall there being a lot of insulation in there and I had to fight getting the wires though. But above the cupholders in the bow you should be able to feed them the rest of the way to the anchor locker and so on. Bottom line, if the wires aren't there, you can buy a roll of good speaker wire and run new stuff. Leave the old stuff in place and zip tie the new ones to the old so they will be neatly secured to existing mounting screws.

Also, depending on your amp I would use atleast a 4 gauge power and ground cable if not bigger. I would also consider wiring the power to the battery switch if you have two batteries rather than directly to one battery. This way you're not always having to use the same one.

Jim_R wrote:
Gotta warn you, going down this path will eventually lead to speaker upgrades, addition of a sub, a second battery & switch (and possibly combiner), and probably LEDS. Been there, done that.

I very much agree with this statement!

Current boat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:04 pm 
Guppy

Thanks for all the information and photos. Looks like I will start running some wires.

Cincy Aquaholic - I assume the 250/1 Amp powers a sub and 300/4 Amp powers the speakers?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:11 pm 
Guppy

If this leads to gutting the factory system. What is the dream system for the 230?

Can an improved system be achieved using the xmd3 and adding an amp(s) and new speakers and Sub(s)?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:52 pm 
french 829

I have the exact same boat. I just added a Kicker 5-channel amp and a JL 10 inch sub in a sealed box. I also added two more of the Clarion 1605's to the cockpit (by the driver and passenger seats). I mounted the amp in the same spot shown in your pictures (behind the helm). I put the sub in the lower storage compartment behind the helm. I also added an MP3 outlet (mounted it inside the small compartment under the head unit). I have been pretty happy with the set up. I kept the bow speakers connected to the head unit and the 4 cockpit speakers and sub are on the Kicker. Next year I might upgrade all the speakers to Polk db651's, but I wouldn't really need to--just can't help myself.

2011 Nissan Armada Platnum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:14 pm 
230 Mike

One person's dream system is another person's entry level. I kept the stock "upgrade" package but replaced the speakers with db651's which are a big improvement for little cost. I could dump $2k into it, but that isn't where my priorities fall. But IMO you can have a pretty nice sounding system with a "decent" amp, a "decent" sub, and upgraded speakers.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:35 pm 

Agree with Mike. You could spend endless dollars. Mine was a dream system for me for our purposes. Worked very well except I learned those amps could get hot and needed dedicated cooling fans.

Yes, the 300/4 was for the component cockpit speakers and the 250 was for the sub. they were matched very well. This time around I'm going with a JL Audio HD 900/5. So, 500 watts to the sub and 100 to the speakers. Should be a much smaller and efficient amp but its pricey! Its coming friday with my speakers and the fun begins. Going with coaxial 7.7 speakers instead of component for lower cost. Doubt components sound that much better on a boat.

Current boat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:11 am 
Guppy

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to see how the xmd3 works with adding an amp or amp(s) to power some improved speakers and sub.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:22 am 
french 829

I think you will find a significant improvement with just a decent amp an sub. Good luck. Let us know the details of the results.

2011 Nissan Armada Platnum