www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:04 pm 
Narwhal

Trying to rig my towing vehicle for mid April delivery of my Horizon 200. Anybody out there have the height from the ground to the underside (bottom) of the trailer coupler for the standard 2006 or 2007 single axle trailer? When level that is. The info FW has online says 24 inches, which seems way tall given the ST225/75D15 tires. Any help appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:09 pm 
230 Mike

No, 24" would be about right. Also don't forget your rear end will sag an inch or two with the trailer attached, so you'll want to take that into account.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:42 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Jim, I had the same question as you a few weeks back. I also didn't think the 24 sounded correct and called the dealer who confirmed the measurement.
Along with Mike, the dealer said to expect about and 1 to 2 inches of sag, depending on the rear of the tow vehicle.
Since I am getting a WD hitch for mine, I just went to Uhual online and got a ball and receiver. They have free shipping over 25$, so might want to check out what they have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:44 pm 
Narwhal

Thanks for the replies! Wow, that's tall. The upper part of my receiver is 16.5 inches above ground level, and my owners manual says to expect 3 to 3.5 inches of drop under about 400 lbs of tongue weight. That means a lift of over 10 inches, which is, I believe, outside the range of either fixed or adjustable ball mounts. I'm concerned about getting the trailer as level as possible because of the surge breaks, hope I'm not obsessing over this too much.

As suggested I did call the dealer. They measured a H 200 on the floor with the same single axle trailer, and said they couldn't see going over 20 inches. Supposedly they'll call FW and get back to me. When I called FW customer service on this a couple days ago, they couldn't even define exactly what 24" of ball height meant. :roll: Sure be a lot easier if the boat was parked in my driveway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:06 pm 
230 Mike

The ball height measurement is from the ground to the top of the ball when everything's level and sitting on level ground. That means the 3" or so of the ball itself counts toward the 24". This seems to often be a question dealers have a hard time answering for new buyers. It *is* a difficult thing to deal with when the boat isn't available to measure. On the other hand, it's kind of hard to get the boat home without buying *something*.

Sounds to me like about a 6" rise in your bar will be close.

I use one of these (but not as much drop/rise). I'm pretty sure this is the same guy I bought mine from 2 years ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALUMISTI ... enameZWDVW

Kinda pricey, but I like no rust. That particular item would give you 7" of rise, plus your 3" high ball = 10" total rise, less 3" of vehicle sag, = a net rise of 7" +/-.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:53 am 
2007 200 Horiz

The back of my Trailblazer is at 21. And if 24 is correct I got a 2 1/2 rise and the ball gives me 5 inches. That allows me a 2 inch sag which on the TB will probably be more like 3 but only need this unit to go from the boat store to the house.

Sound about right...or am I losing my mind? No comment Mike!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:53 am 
Narwhal

Thanks Mike 230, your definition seems to explain the difference between the FW numbers and the dealer measurement (which was to the bottom of the coupler). That aluminum ball mount looks nice too. I was hoping to purchase this cushioned adjustable ball mount that has a max lift of 7 inches:
http://www.etrailer.com/pc-cbm~CAB-UM.htm?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=ppc

If more was needed, I was resigned to go this route as it has a max lift of 9 inches:
http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=TK5007&Category_Code=BM BTW - this model appears to be available all over, I've seen it for around $30 using Froogle.

The gross weight of the boat and trailer (at 3070 and 980 dry) is durned close to the maximums recommended for my Honda Pilot in both tongue weight (max 450 lbs) and gross boat and trailer weight (max 4500 lbs). Factoring in the trailer surge breaks, I had hoped to use the cushioned ball mount to spare my tranny as much as possible. I won't be towing the boat much, but do plan to tow it 220 miles straight from the dealer's lot to the boat's new home. Hope this explains my obsession with 'getting my ducks in a row'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:03 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Hey Jim,

The TB I currently have pulls around 5300 which the boat, as you know maxs at 4500. My issue is the hitch only goes to 4000/400. Because of this I have been looking at WD hitches. I found one that works with Surge brakes. It is a little higher priced than just the ball and mount, but it will keep the car leveled among other things.

I am going to get one once I hear the boat is on its way.
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/index.php?p=cart

Don't know if you've even looked at something like this, but always good to cover everything. Also, if you are planning on keeping the Pilot awhile I would look at a Tranny Cooler, they aren't that bad to add yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:25 am 
Narwhal

MdR,
Wow, that Equalizer Hitch looks awesome. Major sticker shock, I was quoted $590 installed. But four way sway control, load balancing to the front axle of the towing vehicle, and compatibility with surge breaks makes it sound ideal. If I were to tow alot, I'd jump on it. I still may go for it just for the increased safety aspects. I'm thinking a special configuration may be required due to the tongue length on the FW trailers given their swing away tongue configurations. Bet that the Equalizer has a non-standard config that'd work. The Equalizer dealer was nice enough to offer to loan me a ball mount with enough rise for me to drag the boat over to his shop for evaluation/ installation. Saves me having to buy one just to be able to get the boat over to buy an Equalizer. Thanks for the link, I'd seen nothing about it in my surfing.

As to your TB setup, I believe Mike 230 indicated that the height of the ball is already in the 24 inch number, and possibly some sag adjustment too. IF (big if) my understanding is correct, and you've got 21 inches to the top of your receiver opening, you are golden with your 2 1/2 inch raise, you'll be right about level given the sag. BTW, you are right about tranny coolers, my Pilot's OEM receiver came not only with a tranny cooler, but a power steering cooler as well. At least there's one area where I should be good.

*edit - found the Equalizers on ebay for $378 with about $50 shipping.

Last edited by Jim_R on Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:40 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Just FYI you can get the WD hitches online for about 410. I just sent you the site that explains the system, I am not going directly through Equalizer.
http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/produc ... 221/pid/77

I am waiting to get the WD hitch once the boat comes in to really look the tongue over, but I havent seen anything that would hinder the use of it.

You said you where not getting the boat till almost end of April. Hopefully I will be getting her end of this month and if you would like I can put together information on what I think of the WD hitch before you go and get everything done and how it was doing it myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:25 pm 
230 Mike

MdR, if my calcs are correct (this ball height stuff always throws me a bit), it sounds like you're good to go.

Jim, I didn't realize you were going to tow with a Pilot. Hmmm. I hope that works OK for you. Our other car is an '03 Odyssey, and I can tell you I wouldn't try to tow a wheelbarrow with it. It's already had the tranny replaced once at 63K miles, and it's been impeccably maintained and driven carefully. It also came from the factory with tranny and PS coolers.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:13 pm 
Narwhal

Yes, please do post your impressions and experiences. I did spend some time on the line with a manufacturer support tech. If the height of the trailer frame is 6 inches or less, the equalizer hitch can be used on the FW trailer using a slightly different installation. In short, both sway bars would be attached in parallel to the tongue of the trailer, rather than the 'arms' of the A frame. This is due to the length of the swing away tongue. They maintain that this configuration does not impact performance of the hitch at all. I have instructions for this alternate installation I'd be happy to email. The biggest obstacle to a self install is mounting the ball. They mount takes a 1 1/4" ball, and due to size restrictions where the ball nut is located, a special thin wall socket head is needed to tighten is down to 800 inch pounds. Supposedly all dealers have this $74 socket, so I'd be inclined if buying it online, to also purchase the $16 ball from them and specify that they install the ball before shipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:44 pm 
2007 200 Horiz

Yeah you have pretty much done what I did a month ago.

Going to order the parts directly from equalizer and then the WD hitch from this other site which is cheaper. I will probably take the ball and receiver to Uhaul which said they could torque them for me, for a fee. That way I can get everything together and then order the other items at a later point.
Well, that is the plan as of right now, can change since my wife is wanting a new vehicle for longer trips...I guess my raise isn't really mine :roll:

I will let you know what ever I find out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:20 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Hey Jim,

Have you done any more research or are you kind of placing things on hold for the moment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:21 pm 
Narwhal

More research? Yes indeed. Now, the question "have I learned anything?" is another matter entirely. :lol: I'm working on it!

One thing of interest is that the WD hitch all inclusive is 95 lbs! Now I know that by definition that 95 lbs is spread out over the towing vehicle's frame along with the tongue weight from the trailer, but for those of us that are already approaching maximums, it's something to consider.