www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Horizon 210
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:46 am 
Villiage Idiot

My 2c regarding the concern of waves..... Is she really gonna be out trying to wakeboard when the waves are 3ft+? I understand the concern, but is it a valid one when regarding the reason for having a smaller ski boat is to ski? I imagine when the water is rougher, and you still decide to go out as a family, you would be taking the CC anyhow.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:08 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
While the "fishy" style DC's and CC's are more suited to big water. They are not the best ski boats or wakeboard boats . Far from it. I think there is a bit too much worry here about wakes and waves. A 20 foot bowrider will handle most conditions well. Not designed for offshore use, but I suspect there would be very little need for her to attempt skiing on the ocean.

Stick with a bowrider for her. Whatever brand and model you choose, it will be more suited to her needs than a DC or CC.

Captn the DCs and WAs are used as tow boats all the time around here...In fact I see as many of them used for tow boats as bowriders, and ski boats, well I think I've seen maybe 2 of them, they ride so bad here that no one really uses them except on the calmest days.
My concern about wakes and waves vs wakeboarding, is if the kid goes out, nice weather in the morning, then in the afternoon the weather changes, the wind picks up here in the afternoon, and conditions get real nasty...
That, in addition with the headaches of running an I/O in salt water, make my recommendation a reasonable choice.....

We don't know how well the nice new Cat Converter I/O manifolds will last in salt, but if they are as expensive as the one piece OEM manifolds on my OMC 4.3, then new I/O owners in salt may get an expensive surprise every 4-5 years...
Salt water is a different world maintenance wise.....

Keep in mind the original poster is talking about Chesapeake Bay, that's a coastal brackish/salt region, and is known for rough conditions, like LI Sound....not a nice calm lake.....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:52 pm 
Seahorse

We have friends with a 23ft center console and it works really well in conditions around here. The only issue is comfort. After 2-3 people it gets to unconformable to spend the day on. They always end up on my 268. The creek we live on is tame, no more than a foot, and has lots of areas to ski/wakeboard. I basically want to make sure she and her friends are safe if the venture out a little farther than I will allow. Not that my kids would ever do that!! :shock: We live on an island so circumnavigating it would not be something I would recommend for a 20 footer but in case she does I don’t want coast guard involved. The 3ft wake is an extreme for my area and I always check the bay forecast before letting her take her current boat 16ft out. We looked at a Sea Ray 220 today I really liked so maybe that will be way we go. Still waiting for the weather to break to let her take it out and see how they do. As always thanks for the input.