www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:36 pm 
Tadpole

Hello, My name is Walt.

Im looking to buy my first boat. I am pretty sure I want a bowrider, and as I was looking through the internet at local places I came across a

2000 Four Winns Horizon 230 w/
Volvo Penta 5.7 GSI Engine 300 HP
for 11,999.

As I do not know alot about Four Winns, I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice/help on these boats. What do you like about your Four Winns, any gripes, just anything would help.

Thanks again for the help, advice, and your time in advance

Link to the dealer posting is posted below.

http://www.billsmarineinc.com/Page.aspx ... n-230.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:08 pm 
268 Vista

Some food for thought in these threads.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6882

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6836

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:41 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Obviously, we're going to be a little biased on this site. Cap'n, as usual, pointed out what are probably the best threads on this site to give you the feedback you desire.

The only thing I'll add is a buddy of mine had this exact same boat/power package and I will vouch they are a good mate. Most first time boat owners think the base power packages in boats are enough for their needs. In fairness, that is true in most cases. But if you're pulling skiiers, entertaining a boat full of adults, etc., it's discouraging to say the least to find the boat just doesn't have enough umpff to get the job done.

My friend's boat treated him well until he upgraded to a 26' Horizon. It was after driving and skiiing behind his H230 I vowed my next boat would have a DP or BIII drive. Then, after he upgraded to the 26 footer, I then vowed my next boat would have a DP or BIII drive AND a big block engine. I obviously held true to my vow. So, in summary, I can't speak for the particular boat you are looking at because like everything else, it all comes down to how well the previous owner maintained it. However, as stated above, I think you would be happy with that model / power package assuming the boat has been well cared for by its previous owners.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:20 pm 

I have a 2006 Horizon 240 with the volvo 5.7 duoprop. Not sure how much changed fro 2000to 2006 but the family and kids love our boat. I would say it has plenty of power for water sports.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:09 pm 
Nauti Luv

I'm not really a big fan of Four Winner myself.... 8)

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:52 am 

That's the little sister to my previous boat. She appears in good shape and the power package outdrive combination will handle most of your situations just fine. In some markets the bottom paint will devalue the boat but assuming it will be in a slip for the season it's a good thing to have.The asking price is a little high... I would offer 10,500 especially since it doesn't have a trailer.
My only caution is --Don't plan on using the head!

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:40 pm 
Seahorse

Walt,
I went through the exact same debate this time last year. I was having to decide between a 230 and 220 bowrider. After talking with some guys here I figured out that I didn't need the sink and porta potty. I stayed out all summer and never really had a need for a sink. Never missed not having the porta potty either. Not like anyone uses it anyway. Besides who wants to smell that on the boat. To me it wasn't worth the extra cash for items I didn't need just to get 1 more foot of boat. I ended up with the H220, an 06 model. It has the 5.7 DP which has plenty of power to get moving when loaded. Like I was told, it all depends on your needs. Of course if you can get a smokin deal then go for it.
Don

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:27 pm 

I have the sink and porta potti on my Funship. The sink is basically unused, except that it tends to be left on and drain all the fresh water from the tank. The porta potti I leave at home unless I'm taking the fairer sex along or kids - then it can be handy to have. It all depends on whether or not you want to be the one cleaning it - and I can assure you, no one else will volunteer....
A 5.7 with dual props seems like a pretty decent power package to me. I have a 5.7 with a single prop on my FS214 and it has plenty of kick. I would guess that the weight of the H230 and the FS214 are pretty close.

Good luck!

Erik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:30 am 

seems like a liitle high to me also, no trailer is a deal killer for that boat in my opinion. rust on prop shaft, water intake yoke, and main pulley shaft warrants close inspection of other areas and wiring connections. look for water marks in engine compartment where hard to clean. want to make sure the engine compartment hasnt been flooded. recently replaced alternator and starter are clues. ask why no trailer, for a common trailerable boat it would be a concern....may be a good explanation but also explained by repo, salvaged, or theft recovery.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:27 pm 

As you can see in my signature line, I have the 220H with a 300HP w/ a B3 (Merc's version of the VP Duoprop). No complaints about power whatsoever.

There will always be things you want to improve, so look for the big things like whether you like the layout/design, the fit and finish of the boat, and whether you think it has enough storage and convenience items. Obviously you should get it checked out by someone who knows used boats well to avoid issues like rotten floors, stringers, and bad powerplant problems.

The potty seems to be a love/hate thing in that model: people either love the potty for the ladies and kids or they hate it for that purpose and see/use/love it as a dedicated additional storage space.

I think you'd be happy with it if all things check out but would probably be happier if you paid a couple thousand less than what they're asking.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:32 pm 
Guppy

bought the 96 240 horizon with the same engine set up. So far its a great boat plenty of power to pull 2 skiers or 6 adults in the boat. Used alot of battery power so I suggest having a backup battery on board or running dual batteries.

$10k for the boat with no trailer is too high Insist on a trailer because any work means a haul out and block $300 each time
with the trailer you can usually do any any repair to the outdrive while on the trailer. Plus you can take it to the repair shop not them to you..saves big $$$ over time.

I got mine 96/240 with trailer for 9k . The boat was in excellent shape but i had to rebuild the trailer from lights to full brakes. Cost me about $500 for the rebuild well worth the storage and repair fees.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:07 pm 
Guppy

We bought a 2000 Four Winns 230 Horizon with a Volvo 7.4 duoprop last year. We love the boat, but I'm really glad to have the big block power. We've never used the port-a-potty, but the space comes in handy for storage. We don't have the sink, and we don't miss it. We like the wrap-around u-seating.

KJF

kjf.smugmug.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:18 pm 

I didn't know you could get a 240 without the sink. I'd love to have one more seat in my 2006 H240 and no sink.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:17 pm 

That boat is extremely similar to my 240H -- which has a 5.7L Duoprop.
It is a great day boat for a lot of people. We typically have 6 people on board -- often 8-10 if friends come out with their kids. There is enough space to handle quite a few people, performance to still plane easily, and big enough to handle a big lake.

Comments---
1---the bathroom is really useless for adults ---
2---I have an extended swim platform -- we love it -- in South Florida we do lots of snorkeling and such. The big swim platform is great -(they can be retro fitted from several sources-- but you can evaluate your need first)
3--- All of this general category of boats (be they SeaRay- Chapparal-or Four Winns) are really fresh water boats -- salt water takes a toll quickly on everything. The boat will handle the inshore water well enough, but salt water does mean more wear and maintenance.
4---Being in salt water and sand, we have never had the carpeting in the boat --ever -- we just hose down the inside after every trip.
5-- The Duoprop is great -- you will like the maneuvering and easy planing.
6-- The 5.7 has good power -- if not great speed -- the boat will do 45 even when heavily loaded with about 6 people aboard.

If you ever actually buy the boat I can give you lots more smaller hints and details.

thx
Dale

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:30 pm 
Tadpole

I just bought my first boat a 2000 180LS the only problem that I have is none of the gauges work. I found out that FW used VDO for gauges from 1999-2001 and have had a lot of problems with them mine are out getting repaired right now at a cost of $378 plus shipping.