www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:18 am 
email admin your custom rank

Lesson learned, never order a boat with your brother :lol:

Glad to hear your issues were not dealer related and you were able to find the source for the delay.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:27 pm 
230 Mike

That's a great update. However, I submit that you shouldn't have had to call the factory and go through all this stress to get this information. The dealer really dropped the communications ball IMO.

Next up, note that once the dealer has the boat, it's reasonable for them to need a day or two to get it rigged and ready for delivery. If they've got a ton of boats in process, it could be longer.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:55 pm 

Robbo, that is a great point and I will be sure to share it with my brother.

Mike, I discussed that with my dealer on many occassions. I would say that it is going to take a lot of things going my way in order to be on the water on Memorial Day Weekend. And I agree on the dealer issue-not sure why they couldn't ask for an explanation to pass along when they called.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:15 pm 
The Bug Doctor

:roll: PET:
I share your feelings of frustation. Our first year of boat ownership has been one of constant problems!

I think all is now resolved and we look forward to a great season.

Make sure you download an Owner's Manual and have studied it well before you pick up your boat!

Good Luck :!:

2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat

http://www.seabrook-services.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:07 pm 

Jeff, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm ashamed to admit that I downloaded that thing and read it back in March even though I knew I was pretty far away from delivery even back then. :oops:

One manual I was interested to get ahold of was the Merc 350MPI Mag and/or Bravo III manuals. I assumed I'd get them when I took delivery, but does anyone know where to get them online? Not available on Merc's website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:13 pm 

I've been trying to determine whether anyone cares anymore, or whether they just want me to go away, when it comes to this thread. I've gotten no PM's telling me to shut it, nobody has posted that on here, and this thread has gotten nearly 1200 views at the time I write this. So, I guess that means I should continue. My apologies in advance to those who may disagree.

New Update:

The FW regional rep in the sales department in Michigan that I spoke with yesterday called me back today as promised. My sales guy should take a lesson from her, but I digress. She advised me that she had a Gen-Mar Transportation truck driver standing in the shipping department who was ready to drive the trailer containing my boat and my brother's boat to the dealer. They said it was about a 1 1/2 day trip, and that they should be at the dealer on Friday morning. She was even kind enough to send me a written email confirmation along with the shipping number.

So, finally some encouraging news. Now, I cross my fingers that the driver doesn't get lost, have a flat, break down, etc. and that the dealer will actually get the boat on Friday and have enough time to get rig and prep it in the 7 days after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:51 pm 
The Bug Doctor

:shock: GOOD LUCK :!:

Keep the thread running!

2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat

http://www.seabrook-services.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:19 am 
Narwhal

Alright! Looking good for the long weekend.

All this frustration and anxiety will quickly be forgotten once you see your new boat. Or perhaps I should say will be quickly replaced - there's still the walk through and acceptance, discussing any items that need addressing with the dealer, the logistics of transportation, rigging the boat with required and desired equipment, taking pics and posting them (required :lol: ), and then finally dropping it in the water. Even with the smiles that come from dropping it in the water, there's still getting familiar with the new boat and equipment, breaking in the engine, and providing the attention that a new boat needs. All part of the fun. Enjoy every bit of it as much as you can. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:26 pm 
230 Mike

No worries, Paul, unfortunately it's all part of buying a new boat. Everyone should work together to make it the easiest, most trouble-free process that can be undertaken, but that seldom seems to be the case. You go through all this, and then spend the first year discovering all the little tweaks that need to be made in addition to being constrained by engine break-in. We found the 1st year of boat ownership very frustrating, and frankly the 2nd year wasn't all that much better. This year, our 3rd, I can honestly say that the boat needs to be de-winterized and that's ALL that needs done to it.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:29 pm 

Mike- does your statement about de-winterization mean you WILL be getting to use it this year? Hopefully so.

De-winterizing yourself or having someone do it? If you do it yourself, watch the antifreeze. For some reason, the neighbors get a little ticked off when they see that green stuff rolling down the gutter from your driveway. Unless it is pink stuff-then you can show off the label to them. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:27 pm 
230 Mike

Paul, I really don't know to be honest. The kids are asking to use it, my wife wants to use it, and you KNOW I want to use it. I agreed to go ahead and get it de-winterized, but at this point it's almost like I'm going to have to be convinced that we'll be able to use it.

I'm going to go ahead and have the dealer do it again, hopefully for the last time. I called them today and told them I wasn't trying to avoid paying for their service, but just didn't want to pay $3.15/gallon for two round trips to Topeka (normally you have to leave it for a couple of days and then go back to pick it up). They made arrangements to do it while I wait this Saturday, so at least I can do it in one trip. This fall I want to come up with a different plan for winterizing & de-winterizing.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:48 pm 

Well, I hope you can get out this summer. You seem like you have a pretty good handle on these boats, and their operating systems, so I'm betting that you could handle winterization and de-winterization pretty easily. I've always done my own boats, most likely because my old man refused to pay someone to do it when I was growing up around boats and learning about them. Planning on doing it this winter myself once again.

Personally, I think you get ripped when the dealers do it. But that is probably just my old man talking and me being a creature of habit. My perspective has changed a little bit lately knowing that there are lots of little things to be done to these newer boats to keep them operating properly. For example, checking engine/drive alignment after 20 hours isn't something I've ever done.

However, my previous statement still holds: if you are any kind of skilled with your hands and can understand what is going on then you would be fine doing it yourself. Not only that, but it saves you a ton of money when you do the work yourself.

If it will help you get on the water, I volunteer to come to your house and help you with whatever I can. When I was a kid, we had 3 summers in a row that our boat sat in the driveway. It was pure torture, and I'd never wish that on anyone. Well, maybe I'd wish it on my worst enemy- but NOBODY else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:55 pm 
230 Mike

Thanks for the offer Paul! It's much appreciated, and this fall I may even take you up on it. Mechanically it's no problem - my Dad was like yours, and until I turned about 40 I was the same. (BTW, I submit that we're better off because we were raised that way; kids today don't know a gear from a fuse.) I did all my own car work, brakes, electrical, tune-ups (remember those?), radiator & water pump replacements, exhaust (remember when you had to replace those too?) etc. But after our kids began to get a little older, I soon realized that the best tool in my toolbox was the checkbook - you can't get the time back. And now with the boat, the risks of doing anything wrong are SO high... a cracked block because you didn't winterize correctly is almost never covered by any form of insurance. Getting anti-freeze through the entire engine at the same time you fog it seems like an impossible dance to me. And, my dealer honestly has not been exorbitant in their pricing. It's just the TIME involved in going over there, and now the gas price to go with it. I don't mind the gas if we're taking the boat somewhere to USE it, but towing it around to be worked on just bites!

Just to clarify - this issue isn't the reason for possibly not boating this year... one of our kids was just diagnosed with a medical issue that will likely take several months to get on top of. I'd be dead where I sit if it became known that I was telling the whole world about it, so I just don't :).

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:47 pm 

Mike - Hope everything turns out ok. Best of luck to you and your family.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:00 pm 

Mike I hope you don't think I was prying or anything. No need to give up your privacy here. Just offering to help out if I could. My son is only 1 1/2 years old, but he had some medical issues when he was a newborn so I understand how that can be. I hope everything turns out well for you and your family.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next