www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: VDO issues
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:14 pm 
Seahorse

I took all the pics. I would post them now, but I have to take the boat out. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:23 pm 
Sting Ray

scokat916 wrote:
I took all the pics. I would post them now, but I have to take the boat out. :D

Have a good outing and hurry back and get those pictures up. We are anxiously waiting your guidance. I have ground wire run from the battery to my cluster and if I make it up to the lake on Sunday, I will be getting the soldering iron out and try to duplicate your fix. Pictures would be great.

Thanks again for your help!

2007 Ford Expedition EL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:34 pm 
email admin your custom rank

If all the "Car" style gauges are VDO's then that is what I have also. It doesn't look exactly like the pic Jim_R posted but close. It is the Automotive style gauges, So Yes I can't wait to see the pics also.

2002 Ford F150 Harley Davidson Edition (http://www.nhtoc.com) 378 hp & 465 tq at rear wheels
2008 Honda Accord EX-L w/Nav

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:02 am 
Seahorse

Here are the pics. I first attached a 1 foot stranded wire to the board and had it come out the existing wiring harness hole. I ran a solid wire and followed existing wire runs back to the battery and tied them in together. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubima ... _=23330382

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:44 pm 
230 Mike

Excellent pics! Any particular reason why you used solid wire for the battery run?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:22 pm 
Seahorse

The only reason I used solid wire was because it was easier to run back to the battery because of its rigidity.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:00 pm 
Sting Ray

scokat916 wrote:
Here are the pics. I first attached a 1 foot stranded wire to the board and had it come out the existing wiring harness hole. I ran a solid wire and followed existing wire runs back to the battery and tied them in together. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubima ... _=23330382

Thanks for the pictures. I didn't make it out to the lake this weekend, but will plan on attempting the same fix next trip.

2007 Ford Expedition EL

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:36 pm 
Tadpole

Hello,

I am having the same problem with my VDO on my Fourwinns RS when I pulled it out of storage. Turn the key, and the horn beeps twice every 4 seconds or so, and the needles on the guages sweep back and forth.

I think the ground wire solution may be what I need. I clicked on the link for the pictures, but it said the pictures were no longer available. Could you post them again, or at least leave a message about where you attached the new ground wire to the cluster?

Thanks for your help.

Gwinney

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:45 pm 
Sting Ray

gwinney wrote:
Hello,

I am having the same problem with my VDO on my Fourwinns RS when I pulled it out of storage. Turn the key, and the horn beeps twice every 4 seconds or so, and the needles on the guages sweep back and forth.

I think the ground wire solution may be what I need. I clicked on the link for the pictures, but it said the pictures were no longer available. Could you post them again, or at least leave a message about where you attached the new ground wire to the cluster?

Thanks for your help.

Gwinney

I found this picture on another forum last year and I believe the poster said that he ran the wire back to the negative battery post and it solved his problems. I did not try this ground wire attachment. I got a good deal on a new instrument panel off of eBay and decided to go ahead and replace it.

2007 Ford Expedition EL

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:45 am 
Seahorse

Gwinney,

I just sent you the pictures I took last year to your e-mail. If you have any quesitons, let me know. BTW, my VDO is still running without issues.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:01 pm 
Tadpole

Scott,

Thanks for sending the pictures, they were very helpful.

Before I attempted to take the dash apart to install the new ground, I wiggled all of the ground wires on the fuse box, pulled a couple of the harnesses apart and squirted some WD-40 into the connections, reconnected the battery, and low and behold, everything seems to be operating properly. go figure......

of course the boat is on the trailer in the driveway right now, so I will have to see if this "quick fix" holds up when I splash her this weekend......if not, the new ground wire will be installed.

I am very glad that I came accross this forum, you have all been very helpful.

Gwinney

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:30 pm 
Guppy

Hey guys I've got the same issues with a 2000 H190....everything is flaky. Anyway, I couldn't view the pictures and would appreciate if you can send them to me or repost. hacrwj@yahoo.com is my email address. Also, the links on most of the other posts to the trouble shooting documents are also dead so if you can forward any advice or instructions I would appreciate it. We just bought the boat and have already had to pay for new U-joints & Gimball bearing. I can't stomach the $500 for a replacement instrument panel so I'm hoping a few hours and a ground wire will solve the problem.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 pm 
Seahorse

Pictures have been sent.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:43 pm 
Clownfish

Scokat, sorry to keep bothering you but I sure could use those pics too. My problem is with the trim indication, it jumps around when underway but is rock steady when static. Also the depth sounder works when the ignition is turn on then just shows ---- after engine start. Then occassionaly it works in both positions. Go figure,does sound like a grounding problem to me though.

Thanks,
Ross
email rossandcindy1@verizon.net

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:22 pm 
Seahorse

Pictures sent. I'll see if I can post a link to them again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next