www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:05 am 
Clownfish

Just curious of others experience w/ towing with regards to the canvases. I have the cockpit and forward canvas on my 190. For fear of chafing, my inclination is to take covers off before towing.
However, after the last trip down the highway, I was surprised to see that the rear (sunsport) bench seat top had become dislodged and was laying on the floor. Luckily the items stored in the cubbies under the seat (ironically the two canvases) had not blown out.
Any feedback or others experience would be appreciated.

Last edited by davemac on Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:20 am 
Tadpole

My last boat was ok up to 60 mph. 65-70 snaps would let loose. Try it and watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:20 pm 
Shark

I'm ok so long as I keep the bow cover zipped to the windshield/cockpit cover. I know most say to remove the covers but heck...thay can take 60 mph wind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:52 am 
Forty six and Two

FWIW my dealer who often trailers boats all over New england said they take the canvas off on the highway but anyhting else they leave it on. He said its to easy for a snap to come loose and scar up the gel coat......

73 International Scout II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:09 am 
wkearney99

The canvas being on the boat when you're on the water or stuck in a storm is a bit different than barreling down the highway. Road travel puts pretty constant pressure against it, unlike the gusts or rocking/wave action you'd get in the water. That and if a snap comes loose when you're on the boat it's going to get your attention pretty quick. Back behind the truck being towed wouldn't get noticed until you're home an hour (or more) away. And by that time even a single snap or a flapping zipper pull can leave a series of rather nasty marks on the gelcoat. To say nothing of the shredding an edge of canvas can get being flapped at 60mph.

It's an effort pulling the canvas, but it's a lot less than having to clean up (and pay for) the mess otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:00 am 
email admin your custom rank

It ruins the cover. Loosens the snaps over time. They make trailering covers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:19 pm 
Clownfish

Thanks for the feedback. I figured its not a great idea to trailer on hwy w/ canvas.
However, has anyone else had problem with the rear sunsport bench seat becoming dislodged (presumably by wind) while towing??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:11 pm 

Not myself yet (Hope not) but my neighbour lost his back bench on the HWY. Never found it and it was a tad expensive to replace if I remember right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:46 am 
Clownfish

LOL. "man decapitated by sunsport bench. Charles was traveling down the highway when suddenly BOOM a flying cushion flew into the car and decapitated him. He was in critical condition" My impersonation of news article. Are you talking about like the back bench? On my funship there is a bungee. Check yours, if not you can easily get one and install it.

Bimini Top Extension
Full Camper
Full Mooring Cover

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:35 am 
Clownfish

yeah, there is a bungee on mine. My guess is that the rear portion of the bench disloged, and it bounced forwards..towards the bungee, and landed on the floor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:06 am 
Goldfish

I've tried trailering my 180 with canvass on and off. I noticed after only a few trips that the canvass was chaffing the windshield frame and decided to remove it. With the canvass off, I just have to make sure that the jump seats are in the lower position, as they have a tendency to move around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:55 pm 
Shark

I still believe towing with cover on is the best for tows under an hour long. If you tow without a cover everything that could come loose had better be removed of really secured well. You are liable for any damage done to others from flying debris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:12 am 
Narwhal

My Dealer advised that I highway tow without the cover on. So I secured cushions and stowed everything. The one thing I overlooked was the snap in carpet. On my 200, the main carpet lifts at speed on the water a little (bugs me to no end), but on the highway it became partially unsnapped and flapped around for some time. Of course there's no way to see this happening from within the tow vehicle. At the end of the trip I found that a bunch of the black stuff from the backing got everywhere, and there's fraying in two areas where the edging wore away. Could have been much worse. Bottom line I'd advise removing and stowing the carpet if you do travel on the highway without a cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:10 pm 
230 Mike

I'm in my 3rd season of towing exclusively with covers on and wouldn't tow any other way. I haven't had a snap come loose yet. "It ruins the covers"? I fail to see how. The canvas does stretch a bit, as it's going to do over time anyway. That's why the support poles are adjustable.

The answers you get to this question will always be all over the board; you'll have a hard time finding consensus. Personally I like getting to the lake and not having my front seats and windshield covered with bug crap. And the less time the interior spends in the sun, the better. That's my opinion and the way I'll continue to do it. I'm certain others will disagree.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:19 pm 

I agree with 230Mike and plan on towing with covers on whenver taking extended trips. I'd hate to be cleaning off bugs and road grime and who knows what else would end up back there. Plus, I can just throw the tubes in the boat and not worry about them blowing out.

When I tow locally, I don't bother since I keep it in the garage uncovered.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX