www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:04 am 
Guppy

Hi all,

New to this forum and new to the 214, so having some fun. First question - if you disconnect the top of the hydraulic actuators on the engine cowling, can you hinge the cowling up enough to see the aft side of the engine block? I need to try and get a picture of the serial number plate on the block for my insurance company! Looks like this would work but wanted to try and verify before I attempted it. I'm sure I'd also have to find a way to support the cowl from "going over backwards" and breaking the piano hinge if I do this...?

Thx
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:25 am 
Minnow

Mark,
Same boat I have...what I've done after removing the closers is pull the pin on the piano hinge. Then the whole cover can be lifted off for access to the engine compartment. A little wd40 and a thin punch will get it started,then grab the other end with a pair of vise grips.
Just a suggestion
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:26 am 
Minnow

Mark,
Same boat I have...what I've done after removing the closers is pull the pin on the piano hinge. Then the whole cover can be lifted off for access to the engine compartment. A little wd40 and a thin punch will get it started,then grab the other end with a pair of vise grips.
Just a suggestion
Chuck

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:44 pm 
Guppy

Hi Chuck - Sorry it took so long to reply.... Thanks for the tip. I actually found the SN in the front area. However I still would like to take the cowling off to better reattach the hinge on the cowling side. It looks like it's coming away from the cowl. Hoping there's screws to tighten only!

Is there any trouble getting the long pin back in the two hinge pieces?

Regards,
Mark