www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:26 am 
Tadpole

Hello folks...first time in the forum. I have an '04 Funship w/ the 5.0L Volvo, SX outdrive. I use the standard ears to flush the stren drive after recovering. The last two times, however, it doesn't pick up water; if I use the hose fitting on the stern, no problem - water flushes through the engine...but nothing out the port side hole. I'm afraid my stern drive is not picking up water....but while afloat, everything seems to work fine - engine temp is normal, etc...it runs fine....but again, nothing out the port side discharge hole. How do I troubleshoot the sterndrive? Thx

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:56 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Make sure you don't have a leak from the gaskets on your risers/manifolds. When is the last time the impeller was changed? My have ave missing veins this not allowing good water flow.

Previous boats:
2003 Four Winns 248 Vista - sold
1994 Sunbird Corsair 200 - sold
1980 Checkmate Predictor - sold

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:20 pm 
Tadpole

Impeller changed a year ago. No sign of leaking. Engine temp runs normal during operation - that's the hardest thing to figure out: If it's not picking up water during flushing, how is water getting to the engine during operation? Funny how it worked great - every time - until the last two times. Can't figure out what happened overnight.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:54 am 

Water gets in during operations because of it sits in the water. The water goes in thru the intake on the outdrive since it's fully submerged.

Previous boats:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:14 pm 
Tadpole

That makes sense. Sorry I'm relatively new at boating mechanics, although several decades with cars. I guess my first step, at this point, should be to crack open the outdrive and check the tubes going in? Still not sure I understand the operation of the port side discharge tube. Thanks again....

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:44 am 

Before you "crack open the outdrive" make sure you have an alignment tool. I think you're referring to removing the outdrive to inspect he bellows. Since you're new to this, I recommend a marine mechanic for your first go round.

Previous boats:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:28 am 

First thing I would do is check the impeller. Yes, it's only a year old, but if you had sucked up some sand, it might be worn. It also might be damaged if it was ever run dry (and if it's "not sucking up water" that qualifies as running dry). When running on the cups, the impeller has to be in good enough shape that it can suck some air through before it sucks up the water...requires good impeller.

Still works in the water because the raw water pump is below the water line when sitting idle.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:39 pm 

It is a bit harder for the pump on a Volvo to prime on the muffs, because the water has to travel all the way from the lower unit to the front of the engine. Make sure the muffs fit well, I use the Merc ones that have a wire that goes through the water intake and it clamps the 2 halves of the muffs together. I use a bigger diameter heater hose instead of a garden hose to get as much flow as possible. When its in the water the hydrostatic pressure of the water forces it up through the drive to the impeller.

Removing the drive itself is not going to help with water flow issues, except it the little gasket by the water passage is not good. If your engine runs at normal temp in the water, then you probably don't have a problem.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II