www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:51 pm 
Sting Ray

Hi,
I winterized and stored my Funship in the fall of 2010 with approx. 30 gallons of gas in the tank. I want to drain the fuel out of the tank prior to summer prep and replace it with fresh fuel. Could anyone please tell me the best way to siphon the gas out? Is there a way to get to the fuel tank instead of trying to siphon through the gas fill? Also, is there any other suggestions other than normal summer prep that you woud recommend prior to starting the engine? Upon winterizing, I did use a fuel/oil mixture and ran the engine for approx. three to five minutes as always.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:58 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I don't think you can siphon it from the gas fill. During Hurricane Sandy I siphoned out 30 gallons for our generator through the fuel gauge sending unit opening. There is usually a circular cover with 5 small bolts in it, under a removable deck hatch (circular usually). It will have some electrical connectors on it for the fuel gauge. Be careful with those small bolts or screws and be very careful because of gas fumes or spilled gas. I'd shut off the batt switch before doing this. You will have to lift out the cover and the float for the sending unit. Often you find these in the center of the deck or under the rear seat.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:23 pm 

after you get access to the tank you can buy a 12 volt external fuel pump from auto parts store
and run that to drain the gas instead of siphoning . cost is about 35.00 for the pump

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:45 am 

When I did it I got the siphon started with a hand pump. During the aftermath of sandy you couldn't buy them anywhere...
If you use an electric pump be very careful make your connection well away from the tank.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:45 am 
Villiage Idiot

I do the same as above every fall thru the sensor hole with a hand pump. However, I try to plan it out and only have about 5-10 gal of fuel to remove. You may try running the gas in your yard equipment. Not sure I would trust it anywhere else, being 4 years old.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:45 am 

Just hook up to where the fuel line comes out of the tank to the engine, and run a long hose from it. As long as you get a good seal with your connection, you should be able to siphon it out to a tank on the ground easy as pie.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:51 am 
Villiage Idiot

kd4pbs wrote:
Just hook up to where the fuel line comes out of the tank to the engine, and run a long hose from it. As long as you get a good seal with your connection, you should be able to siphon it out to a tank on the ground easy as pie.

I considered that... It's a PITA connection to break and remake in the close quarters on top of my gas tank. I have done it ONCE to run concentrated FI cleaner thru my injectors.... made a mess, and didn't really have a good seal. The sender port worked out best for me, but make sure you tie everything off... I dropped a hose down there once and was a bugger to retrieve.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:59 am 

So, you can't easily get to the fuel filter?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:07 pm 

kd4pbs wrote:
So, you can't easily get to the fuel filter?

The anti-siphon valve will prevent you from siphoning out of the main fuel line without a pump. This is because the little spring and ball in the valve prevent flow until there is enough suction to overcome the spring. An electric fuel pump or hand pump would work on the main fuel line, but do not consider any pump not rated for gasoline.

Considering the hassle of disposal, and fire hazard, I elected to have mine pumped out at a marina a couple years ago. The pumped out 40 gallons (through the fuel sender hole) for $125. Done.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:43 pm 
Sting Ray

Hi, Thanks for all the replies..... My engine is a 5.7 GXi with my fuel filter being very easy to get at as well as change. I thought of removing the hose off of the filter housing and pumping it out that way. I do have a cheap gas hand pump. rpengr stated that there is a anti-siphon valve in which an electric or a hand pump would work. With the anti-siphon valve being spring loaded, is there any pre-cautions to consider? Is it possible to place to much pressure on the pump? This seems like it would be the simplest way to go. If it's too difficult, I'll go through the sending unit opening as LouC stated with only having to get it started with the pump and letting gravity take over. In either case, I plan on putting a shut off valve in the siphon line for control.
Thanks to all of you for your help and if you have any other thoughts please chime in. Your help is most appreciated, Ray :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:50 am 

rapa123 wrote:
Hi, Thanks for all the replies..... My engine is a 5.7 GXi with my fuel filter being very easy to get at as well as change. I thought of removing the hose off of the filter housing and pumping it out that way. I do have a cheap gas hand pump. rpengr stated that there is a anti-siphon valve in which an electric or a hand pump would work. With the anti-siphon valve being spring loaded, is there any pre-cautions to consider? Is it possible to place to much pressure on the pump? This seems like it would be the simplest way to go. If it's too difficult, I'll go through the sending unit opening as LouC stated with only having to get it started with the pump and letting gravity take over. In either case, I plan on putting a shut off valve in the siphon line for control.
Thanks to all of you for your help and if you have any other thoughts please chime in. Your help is most appreciated, Ray :D

I think that would work fine. However, if you think you have any water in the tank, then the fuel sender hole is better because you can get ALL the fuel. The main hose will leave a little in the back of the tank (perhaps 1/4" to 1/2"). If you are pumping out stale gas, then a little left shouldn't hurt anything.

Ray

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:17 pm 
Sting Ray

The boat has been stored in my un-heated pole barn. Not really sure if there is any water in the gas, but I think all will be good if that's all that is left in the tank. One thing for sure, I'd rather throw out the gas I have than take a chance. Thanks again, Ray :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:10 pm 

rapa123 wrote:
Hi, I winterized and stored my Funship in the fall of 2010

rapa123 wrote:
The boat has been stored in my un-heated pole barn.

Has it sat this whole time with no upkeep/routine maintenance? Was it winterized every year? I would recommend changing all fluids, check the belts, hoses, wiring harnesses, etc. Boats hate sitting unused, just sayin...

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:35 am 
Sting Ray

Hi, I did summerize the boat in the spring of 2012, but never got a chance to take it out. Due to not taking it out, I did perform all of my winterizing steps. :cry: What a shame. The following is how I perform my maintenance in the fall with the exception of the last few years. I will definately change all fluids along with filters. The boat has been dry and stored (jacked up) in my un-heated pole barn with cement floor.

1) Performed Winterization Steps in the Following Sequence;
a) Pull both props.
b) Run water hose/muffs to lower unit & warm engine
c) Drain engine oil.
d) Re-fill oil & install oil filter.
e) Disconnect gas line & connect gas line from external gas tank and fill with gas and Mixed 50:1 outboard 2 cycle oil & stabil.
f) Attach water hose/muffs to lower unit & warm engine for 4 minutes.
g) Connect hose to muffs from 5 gallon external winterization tank filled with antifreeze & run engine until the tank is empty.
h) Install new fuel filter.
i) Remove all four engine drain plugs.
j) Slip off water hoses on engine and drain.
k) Remove/inspect engine impeller & o-ring.

2) Clean flame arrester.
3) Check power steering fluid.
4) Check engine belt for wear & tightness.
5) Check PCV valve.
6) Drain/Refill Stern Drive Gear Oil (lower unit).
7) Removed bilge (main) drain plug.
8 Flush water supply tank, re-fill & prime with 2 gallons of antifreeze.
9) Clean out bilge compartment.
10) Place 1 container of Air Drier Powder in each of the following; Bilge compartment & Ski locker.
11) Clean exterior/interior, wax, vinyl protect (309) & cover.
12) Jack up off floor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:52 am 

Sounds like a good list/plan. Hopefully your season pans out this year and ya can get on the water.

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X