www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine noise
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:09 am 
Minnow

Well down here in Texas, we are still waiting for the flood waters to recede! We've only had our 2003 Funship out 4 times since purchase last fall because the only open lakes are so far away! Our lake should open next week. Question for everyone is this. Is there a good way to insulate the engine hatch for sound? My previous boats had a sunning platform/ engine hatch which provided a relatively quiet ride. Our "new" Funship is a very noisy ride. Maybe some type of spray on sound insulating material? Has anyone tried anything for this? By the way, in March(before the floods) I put in a Perko battery switch for a double battery system. It is so great to not worry about playing the radio while we swim!! Well worth the investment.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Engine noise
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:28 pm 
email admin your custom rank

My '02 Funship isn't terribly loud at all....Do you still have the foam under the engine hatch? Mine was falling off, and I had to use spray adhesive to stick it back on - wondering if yours is there or not.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:51 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Even though my boat has no insulation on the bulkheads around the engine its really not what I'd call noisy. I'd check in the engine compartment and make sure there are no exhaust leaks from the manifold to cyl head gaskets, and no leaks at the rubber exhaust hoses after the risers. Any leaks here will definitely increase noise and are dangerous because of carbon monoxide.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:02 am 
Minnow

No engine leaks. But also no foam inside the engine hatch. Did not know there used to be! This boat was not well taken care of when I bought it. I am finding a few products online that purport to be great sound insulators for this purpose. They come in sheets usually 54x40 or so, and are stick on/flexible. I'll try one of these and post the result here.
Thanks!