www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Under 30 MPH
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:13 am 
Minnow

I recently purchased a FunShip 214 and it seems to have issue maintaining speed under 30 mph. Once I get the boat around 30 mph, it seems to handle like a dream, but under 30 the boat will not maintain it speed. It seems to what to roll off the plane. I have to use almost full trim down to keep it from nose from porposising, too under 30 mph.

We purchased the boat as a family boat, and we can almost rule out slow water sports, such as knee boarding, tick skiing or wake boarding. It is almost impossible to maintain a slow speed around 20 mph without playing with the throttle to keep the boat from rolling off of plane. Again, you must use full tilt to keep the noise down.

The prop is a three-blade SS 14.75 * 19, which seems to be the standard prop for this boat for the articles that I have read about this boat model. Also, my boat has a standard single prop system. I recently saw someone with the newer version of the FunShip, but with a dual-prop system. The owner of that boat said he needs to run around 30 mph, to maintain his speed and ride, too.

Has anyone else experience the same problem and have you found any solutions to correct it? Because of the support brackets for the swim platform, I don’t believe you can add trim tabs to the boat either. Top-end speed is not my concern, being able to water sport at slower speeds is my preference. Has anyone used a four-blade prop with your 214 and want were your results?

Post subject: Re: Under 30 MPH
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:22 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You do not mention what engine you have but it sounds like you have a single prop drive probably a Volvo SX. I bet you have the 5.0? That boat with that engine is going to have a real hard time staying on plane at 20 mph. Probably impossible due to the hell shape as well as the boat weight and slightly smaller engine. Best thing to try is get a 4 or 5 blade prop. That will give you more "grip" in the water and allow you to plane at a slower speed. But doubt you will see 20 mph.

Did you sea trial the boat before you bought it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:21 pm 
Minnow

Wet Dogg,

You are correct on the engine size. We did sea trail the boat, but it was after a morning thunder storm and the water had a foot and half chop. I was more concern about WOT and top-end to make sure the motor was strong.

Over the weekend I talked to another FunShip 244 owner with the 5.0 and dual prop outdrive and he claimed the same proplem that he needs to run over 30 mph for a steady and smooth ride. He and his wife were older without any kids and could not comment on slower water sports speeds. :(

I guess I will try to find a four-blade prop and see if it improves things.

Thanks for your comments.

bobfacs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:41 pm 

hmmm .... having trouble staying on plane at anything under 30mph, sounds a bit "out of character". Plus, if you really are porpoising, this is a slightly different problem, than just falling off plane.

Our 19' Chris craft had the 180hp Volvo/Cobra SX drive (Ford 302 V8). We never had a porpoising issue, even with 10 people in the boat. Minimum planing speed in this boat was just around or just under 20mph. When not on plane, it just pushed along ..... no porpoising (as would be proper with any boat). You should never be porpoising. this is typically due to a problem with the hull bottom (a hook in the surface, back by the transom) or too much up-trim on the drive.

As for the planing speed, unless you have a very full load, and they are all in the rear half of the boat, you should be starting to plane in the mid-teens and be able to hold plane at somewehere between 20 and 25mph (or even a bunch lower). Are you sure that you have the drive trimmed in? It doesn't sound like your prop pitch is excessive, which would make it dificult for the engine to keep in it's torque range at the slower speeds/RPMs.

Yes, a four or five blade prop will help lift the rear of the boat and generate a slightly slower minimum planing speed. There will, however, always be a speed range where the boat will slowly slip off plane if you don't keep fussing with the engine speed ...... but that should be WAY below 30mph. Shoot our piggy 268V (let's say, around 8,000+ lbs loaded) doesn't hit that range until under 24-ish ....... and that's with no trim tabs deployed. Granted its is a DP, which (like a 4 or 5 blade single prop) helps lift the stern.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

Last edited by M3eater on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:47 am 
Dolphin

I have s 224 funship with a volvo penta 5.0 GXI (I Think) motor, factory 3 blade prop. We usually plain in the mid teens, and have no problem with the power. We top out in 40's.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:13 pm 

I have a FS214 also, but with the 5.7 and it planes in the teens. Before buying a new prop, I'd verify that your trim gauge is accurate. I.E. are you sure that your outdrive is all the way down (are you hearing the change in the sound it makes when dropping the outdrive)?

Don't mean to offend if this sounds rudimentary, but I've have my outdrive indicator be out of whack before.

Last edited by EvilZ on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:16 pm 

That would be one of the potential causes of porpoising too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:17 pm 
Clownfish

I have a brand new in the box 4 blade aluminum 14x20 Quicksilver Diamond 4...I will let it go cheap..I want it out of my garage :)

PM or email me for details. I bought it before I found my new boat