www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fresh water tank
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:48 am 
Minnow

I just got my F224 and i am not sure how i empty the fresh water tank at the end of the day. Do i just turn on the sinks till it empties? I checked all through the owners manual for the answer but, nothing.

Also how strict should i be to the engine break in directions? Geez you could spend half the summer not going full throttle, constantly changing power settings and pulling back to idle for "Cooling periods".

Post subject: Re: Fresh water tank
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:46 am 
268 Vista

Why do you need to empty the fresh water tank at the end of the day ? We fill ours up at the beginning of the season, never empty it, and just refill when it is low. Should only need to empty it when you winterize the boat.

You only need to follow the engine break in procedure for about 20 hours of use. That should only be a few days on the water.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:03 am 
Minnow

Well it gets real hot here and i figure the water would get pretty funky if it was left in there for a couple weeks or more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:11 am 
268 Vista

I guess warmer climates might have an effect. Never heard anyone mention that before, and I have several friends that boat in Arizona and Florida. Also, there was no indication in your post where you boat.

If you truly feel you need to empty it every time, just turn on the water until it is empty.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:15 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
If you truly feel you need to empty it every time, just turn on the water until it is empty.

Or go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and buy some PEX fittings so you could tee in a drain line with a valve you could just drain into the bilge. The system is put together with reuseable fittings so modifications are very easy. This way you would save battery power and let the water out when you pull your plug.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:38 pm 
Starfish

We never empty ours either. Does anyone use any type of special sanitizer water?
They recommended something at the marina but dont remember what it was?

2008 FS 5.7ltr 300HP DP
2007 Yukon Denali
2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ
1995 Polaris 650

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:52 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I never drain mine and I live in San Diego with plenty of warm weather - never been an issue. Like others have suggested, the easiest way would just be to turn on the faucet in the sink and let it drain, although I like the suggestion of adding a fitting in-line to not have to run the pump.
I believe they do talk about sanitizing the system once in a while, though....with a small amount of bleach if memory serves...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:46 am 
wkearney99

millhaven_nice_guy wrote:
Or go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and buy some PEX fittings so you could tee in a drain line with a valve you could just drain into the bilge. The system is put together with reuseable fittings so modifications are very easy. This way you would save battery power and let the water out when you pull your plug.

If it's the same as other models then it's using the Whale brand 15mm tubing fittings. I would not mix that with generic residential plumbing fittings. Too much added risk for leaks and hassles. If you want a drain then just get a Whale 'tee' fitting, a valve and a length of the 15mm tubing. Cut an existing line somewhere, put in the tee then run the tubing to somewhere convenient to place the shut off valve. Like from the tank over to an accessible place for the valve. Then run the rest of the tubing to a convenient draining point, like the bilge. Just make sure to use zip ties or the u-shaped clip mounts to secure the tubing so it's not flapping around.

Be aware that if you drain it in this manner you may also want to open the filler port to allow air into the tank. The opening on the vent is pretty small. Opening the filler would let it drain a bit faster.

But I don't know that I'd bother. If you're filling the tank from a good source and using some tank treatment tablets there's not much chance of it going bad. Sure, it might get that funky plastic tank flavor but that's about it. If I were worried about it I'd probably just open a tap and let it run until empty. Just make sure not to let the pump run dry.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 am 
Minnow

Thanks for the help everyone. I am taking the new boat out Saturday for the first time! Can't wait.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:53 am 
230 Mike

We empty ours at the end of the day for the same reason - it may be weeks (or even months in our case) before it's used again, and I wouldn't want to drink water that's been sitting in there that long. We drain it simply by running the faucet - and catch it out the side into a bucket, which is then used to wipe down the boat which needs done anyway.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic