www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:20 pm 
Clownfish

in a hurry late last summer i found my battery dead, i swapped it out with a charged one and connected it up backwards. obviously the boat wouldnt start. connected battery the right way, reset 50 amp cb and was able to get accessories to come on but still wouldn't start. now i dont get any accessory power and the boat still wont start. i see in the schematic diagram that there is a 15 amp port ignition cb but i can't for the life of me locate it.

things i have checked:
EFI fuses
50 amp breaker

i have a 2005 four winns 214 funship with the mercruiser 5.0 MPI

any help on troubleshooting would be appreciated

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:14 pm 
Sting Ray

My first thought would be the 90amp fuse that's attached to the starter solenoid is bad.
it's a little whitish/yellowish plastic square with an orange wire that is hooked up to the fues that goes to the alternator and a red wire goes to that 50 amp push button breaker.

Check for 12 volt power at the orange wire on the alternator, If you have no power there then you will need a new 90 amp fuse that is attached to the starter.

It will be number 8 in this link. Good luck with it.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pic ... rter+Motor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:47 am 
Clownfish

thanks for taking the time not only to answer my question but to provide a parts breakdown. i had my questions about this fuse as well but wasn't sure exactly how it is installed or how to remove it. as usual it's in a pretty difficult spot to get to. i will check it out and let you know.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:47 pm 
email admin your custom rank

It's very possible you shorted out the voltage regulator internal to the alternator. I would pull the alt and take it to an automotive parts house to have it bench tested. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:19 pm 
Clownfish

thanks Boat Tech. funny thing is the 90 amp fuse checked good when i removed it and shot for continuity through it. while i had it out i hooked the orange wire straight to the solenoid and i got power. i put the fuse back in and got nothing. ended up replacing the fuse and it worked but now starting it and the trim are intermittent. could the ignition switch be causing the intermittent starting and trim problem or a ground going bad?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:18 pm 
Sting Ray

jtupman wrote:
thanks Boat Tech. funny thing is the 90 amp fuse checked good when i removed it and shot for continuity through it. while i had it out i hooked the orange wire straight to the solenoid and i got power. i put the fuse back in and got nothing. ended up replacing the fuse and it worked but now starting it and the trim are intermittent. could the ignition switch be causing the intermittent starting and trim problem or a ground going bad?
Well first you will want to check out both batteries cables to make sure they are all hooked up and are clean and very tight, Then make sure the cables are clean and tight on the engine side, Also making sure they are not burned up on the inside by feeling the cables.

The other thing these boats are known for is having a bad intermittent connection with the main wire harness going between the engine and the dash. Look for a black round cannon plug connector with wires sticking out of the plug, It will plug into the engine near the rear of the engine in most cases.

Turn the key on or start the engine and Wiggle the wire harness around to see if the gauges move around of if the engine dies.

If it does then you will need to unplug the wire harness and try to finagle it around till you get every thing in working order, Sometimes putting a hose clamp around the plug with just the right amount of twisting the wires around and some light pressure of the hose clamp will get it to work right, You just got to be patient and play with it for a bit.

For a starting point the best diagnostics for an intermittent wire problem is to be patient and carefully wiggle, Push in and gently pull on every wire you can find both on the engine side and up to the helm area with key on and engine on if needed. Good luck with it.