www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:06 am 
Shark

Hello! I am picking up a 99 254 Funship this weekend. It has the 5.7Gi Duoprop, and only has 56 hours on it. I'm so excited about this thing that I can't even stand being around myself!

I've been around I/O boats a great deal, but I've never owned one. I've owned only outboards.

I bought this boat because I have 8 kids and needed large capacity.

Any quirks or important things to know about this boat? Any areas of particular problems to look for with these? Any advice about anything to do with this boat would be appreciated.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:50 pm 
Shark

One more quick question--Approximately how much does this rig weigh, with trailer?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:53 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Check out http://www.fourwinns.net for more detailed specs. The only true way to know is load it up with gear/fuel/water and get it weighed at a truck stop.

I see your in Danville, where will you be boating? I frequent Monroe and Brookville.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:06 pm 
Shark

firecadet613 wrote:
Check out http://www.fourwinns.net for more detailed specs. The only true way to know is load it up with gear/fuel/water and get it weighed at a truck stop.

I see your in Danville, where will you be boating? I frequent Monroe and Brookville.

I'll be mostly at Monroe and Racoon. I might find my way out to Brookville now and then, though. I'm also planning on setting it up with a VHF radio and hitting the Ohio River.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:08 pm 

I have a 224 and have been very happy with it. I've done some mods to it, and I've posted pics of the LED light install I did over in the electrical forum. I have a new mod that I'm finishing up tomorrow. I'll post pics of that one by week's end. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, because it's actually my own original idea, and want to show off with pics. :-)

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:26 pm 
Shark

Sounder wrote:
I have a 224 and have been very happy with it. I've done some mods to it, and I've posted pics of the LED light install I did over in the electrical forum. I have a new mod that I'm finishing up tomorrow. I'll post pics of that one by week's end. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, because it's actually my own original idea, and want to show off with pics. :-)

Can't wait to see it!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:55 pm 

@7400 lbs according to FW. Thats the boat, trailer, engine, battery, full tank of fuel and 150lbs of accessories. Thats a good sized rig... what are you pulling it with?

I have an 08' F204 I bought new last summer that I'm very pleased with :D

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:17 pm 
Shark

Kvou812 wrote:
@7400 lbs according to FW. Thats the boat, trailer, engine, battery, full tank of fuel and 150lbs of accessories. Thats a good sized rig... what are you pulling it with?

I have an 08' F204 I bought new last summer that I'm very pleased with :D

When the family goes, we'll pull it with a 2008 Chevy Express 3500 15 passenger van with a 6.0L. When it is just me and a few kids or buddies, it will be a 2001 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4 with a 5.4L.

I'm heading to Kansas to pick it up this weekend with the Ford. We'll see how she does. I'm betting it will do just fine. It is about an 11 hour drive.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:45 pm 

If this is your first I/O you want to make sure certain maintenance items were done before the season starts...like the drive should be pulled and the bellows checked for water...the gimble and ujoints greased...drive shaft greased...sterndrive oil changed or at least checked for water..if the dealer did this before you bought it that's fine but if there is no record of it being done I'd want those things looked at...as well as the engine oil and filter...there's a lot more to do on a sterndrive than on an OB but if you do the maintenance they are pretty reliable. One thing that can be a horror show is if you get a leak in the bellows...and it goes on for a while...the drive shaft...ujoints...and gimble bearing will be ruined from corrosion...I've heard of driveshafts corroded into couplers and it was very difficult to get the drive off...so do the maintenance....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:55 pm 
Shark

LouC wrote:
If this is your first I/O you want to make sure certain maintenance items were done before the season starts...like the drive should be pulled and the bellows checked for water...the gimble and ujoints greased...drive shaft greased...sterndrive oil changed or at least checked for water..if the dealer did this before you bought it that's fine but if there is no record of it being done I'd want those things looked at...as well as the engine oil and filter...there's a lot more to do on a sterndrive than on an OB but if you do the maintenance they are pretty reliable. One thing that can be a horror show is if you get a leak in the bellows...and it goes on for a while...the drive shaft...ujoints...and gimble bearing will be ruined from corrosion...I've heard of driveshafts corroded into couplers and it was very difficult to get the drive off...so do the maintenance....

Wow, that's a lot. I figured there would be much to it. I'm going to print this and have all of these things done. The dealer is giving me a 90 day warranty, so any issues discovered will be taken care of, hopefully. While it is 11 years old, it only has 56 hours on it, so I'm hoping everything will be preventative as opposed to repair.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:57 pm 
Shark

To change engine oil, do you have to get a pump to get the old oil out? I'm assuming gearcase lube is changed the same way as on an outboard?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:41 pm 

DanW wrote:
To change engine oil, do you have to get a pump to get the old oil out? I'm assuming gearcase lube is changed the same way as on an outboard?

Yes you have to pump the oil out of the engine as there is no drain plug. I can't answer about the gearcase because I am unfamilar with outboards.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:24 am 

DanW wrote:

Yep as noted you pump it out the dipstick tube...there are many oil pumps on the market...both electric and vaccum...I have a vaccum one (The Topsider) that I made an adaptor for and that allows me use the garden hose fitting on the dipstick tube...this avoids using the really small plastic tube all the way down the dipstick tube which was too restrictive and made the oil change take too long...That's the easy part...if you don't have a remote oil filter mount...reaching it can be a challenge...(standard small block Chevy location is left rear corner of the engine). Some boats you can get at it (mine) some you can't easily, those should have the remote mount often on an exhaust riser...In mine I've been thinking of putting a remote mount because I have to remove the rear seat to get at the filter and move back the battery on that side..lie down next to the engine on a foam pad...

The gearcase well just follow the manufacturers instructions. Each one (Volvo Merc and OMC) is done a litle differently. Make sure you get the full amount of gear oil specified by the manufacturer in there and use the oil they specify. It also takes a special pump if you have a Volvo...the standard pump works for OMCs and Mercs....

As a new I/O owner make sure you follow the winterizing procedure in the fall exactly and do not take any shortcuts the worst of which is thinking you can winterize by using one of those kits that sucks up antifreeze through the drive using ear muffs...they do NOT work on raw water cooled engines and can result in a cracked block. Drain everything as per the manual and if you want to use antifreeze for corrosion protection then manually pour it in via the hoses...I've done this for 8 years without a problem. And as soon as it's getting down to the high 30s at night...it's TIME do not wait and they we get these posts..."will one night of 30 degrees crack and engine" well yes if it stays at 30 long enough...I do mine in late Oct when the boat comes out for the season...
At winterization I change the engine oil...filter...drive oil...fog the engine...drain everything...fill with AF (-100) and then I remove the drive...check for water in the bellows....grease the gimble and u-joints..and store the drive in the garage till spring. If I find water in the gear oil then I take the drive to the shop to get re-sealed...
In the spring I re-install the drive..lube the shift linkage....replace the impeller...tune the engine...that's pretty much it as long as nothing else breaks!

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:21 pm 
Shark

LouC wrote:
DanW wrote:

Yep as noted you pump it out the dipstick tube...there are many oil pumps on the market...both electric and vaccum...I have a vaccum one (The Topsider) that I made an adaptor for and that allows me use the garden hose fitting on the dipstick tube...this avoids using the really small plastic tube all the way down the dipstick tube which was too restrictive and made the oil change take too long...That's the easy part...if you don't have a remote oil filter mount...reaching it can be a challenge...(standard small block Chevy location is left rear corner of the engine). Some boats you can get at it (mine) some you can't easily, those should have the remote mount often on an exhaust riser...In mine I've been thinking of putting a remote mount because I have to remove the rear seat to get at the filter and move back the battery on that side..lie down next to the engine on a foam pad...

The gearcase well just follow the manufacturers instructions. Each one (Volvo Merc and OMC) is done a litle differently. Make sure you get the full amount of gear oil specified by the manufacturer in there and use the oil they specify. It also takes a special pump if you have a Volvo...the standard pump works for OMCs and Mercs....

As a new I/O owner make sure you follow the winterizing procedure in the fall exactly and do not take any shortcuts the worst of which is thinking you can winterize by using one of those kits that sucks up antifreeze through the drive using ear muffs...they do NOT work on raw water cooled engines and can result in a cracked block. Drain everything as per the manual and if you want to use antifreeze for corrosion protection then manually pour it in via the hoses...I've done this for 8 years without a problem. And as soon as it's getting down to the high 30s at night...it's TIME do not wait and they we get these posts..."will one night of 30 degrees crack and engine" well yes if it stays at 30 long enough...I do mine in late Oct when the boat comes out for the season...
At winterization I change the engine oil...filter...drive oil...fog the engine...drain everything...fill with AF (-100) and then I remove the drive...check for water in the bellows....grease the gimble and u-joints..and store the drive in the garage till spring. If I find water in the gear oil then I take the drive to the shop to get re-sealed...
In the spring I re-install the drive..lube the shift linkage....replace the impeller...tune the engine...that's pretty much it as long as nothing else breaks!

When you say remove the drive, do you mean the entire lower unit, including the gearcase? How hard is that? I'm wondering how heavy that will be with the dual-prop unit.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:20 pm 

Yes the whole stern drive upper and lower units together...it's 6 nuts on the transom mount...then remove the trim ram rod...and the drive will slide off...but it weighs close to 100 lbs...so I built a drive stand to support it so I don't hurt my back doing this....Putting it back on is more of a challenge because you have to try to keep the driveshaft straight while guiding it into the gimble bearing....there are manuals you can download on the Volvo site that should have instructions..but you might want to get a good Volvo tech to do this for you the first time if you don't feel comfortable to do it yourself...

2008 Walker Bay 8