www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm Depressed!
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:08 pm 
Shark

My 99 Funship 254 is going back. The engine is a mess. It is getting tons of water into the oil. No visible or audible sign of a cracked block, but at least bad head gaskets and probably other damage. There is also water in the trim reservoir. This boat, or at least the back half of it has been on the bottom of a lake. I think it was a hurricane victim from North Carolina. However, the NADA boat report did not show any issues. My guess is that the original owner had no insurance and wanted to just get rid of it. My dealer in Kansas says he will refund my money, so we'll see what happens. I've got an attorney waiting in the wings for plan B, in case the dealer balks. I he knew this boat had problems when he sold it to me. He knows I've got the resources to give him a real bad time, however, so I believe he'll live up to his word. If he doesn't, its going to cost him much more than returning my money.

The worst part is that this boat looks awesome and would have been perfect for my family.

If anyone knows of any 254 or 264 Funships, or even a 234 for sale within a day's drive from central Indiana, let me know. I'll be in the market again in about a week and a half. That's when I can get this thing back to Kansas to get my refund.

I'm sick over it. Lesson learned. I should have had a mechanic lined up to look it over when I went to pick it up, but circumstances didn't allow it. I took a known and calculated risk, and it didn't work out. If I get the money back, then I won't be too much worse for the wear. If I don't, then there will be an interesting story of a law suit that I'll be able to tell you about when it is done.

Take care, and I'll let you know how it goes, if there's anyone in the Funship section reading about my misery. :( I had some big dreams for this boat.

Post subject: Re: I'm Depressed!
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:33 pm 
Dolphin

Sorry to hear that Dan. Keep looking and best of luck.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:11 pm 
Shark

flaMtneer wrote:
Sorry to hear that Dan. Keep looking and best of luck.

Will do. I'll keep lurking around here for sure. After looking at all the deck boats out there, I easily prefer the Funships. I just don't know if anyone is going to have the right one for sale anywhere close by. The next one has to be close by because I can control the circumstances of the purchase better, including getting a mechanic. I just went too far away to do it right with this boat and avoid the pitfalls.

Once I secure the refund, we'll get back in the game as soon as I find the right boat.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:25 am 
email admin your custom rank

You know buying a used boat makes financial sense but there are a lot of risks associated with it...you never know what happened to it unless you know the person who owned it...I have a next door neighbor who has a nice Key West dual console outboard that she has owned since new...when she sells it (if ever!) I'm buying it because I know the history of it...
And BTW.... 8 years ago....I bought a 14 year old boat...didn't have major mechanical issues (still have the original engine and drive now 22 years old) but the deck rotted and I had to replace it...a major job...by comparision replacing an engine is easy and if you had to pay the full cost of the deck repair (I did about 1/2 myself) it costs about the same! But the repair came out good and I'm still using it now....

Honestly if the wiring in the boat is OK I'd consider a brand new engine as a fair settlement...then you don't have to worry about used boat issues because you are starting out new (warrantee)....maybe present this as an option....any used boat is still a question mark...unless you knew the owner...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:00 am 

Wow sorry to hear. I hope the refund goes smooth. I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:46 pm 
Shark

LouC wrote:
You know buying a used boat makes financial sense but there are a lot of risks associated with it...you never know what happened to it unless you know the person who owned it...I have a next door neighbor who has a nice Key West dual console outboard that she has owned since new...when she sells it (if ever!) I'm buying it because I know the history of it...
And BTW.... 8 years ago....I bought a 14 year old boat...didn't have major mechanical issues (still have the original engine and drive now 22 years old) but the deck rotted and I had to replace it...a major job...by comparision replacing an engine is easy and if you had to pay the full cost of the deck repair (I did about 1/2 myself) it costs about the same! But the repair came out good and I'm still using it now....

Honestly if the wiring in the boat is OK I'd consider a brand new engine as a fair settlement...then you don't have to worry about used boat issues because you are starting out new (warrantee)....maybe present this as an option....any used boat is still a question mark...unless you knew the owner...

I agree about the new engine, except that this hull has been under water. I'm worried about the wood rotting out. There's no telling how long the back end of this boat was submerged. I just don't trust anything about it. I think this boat was a hurricane boat, and I just don't want anything to do with it.

I've got a couple of possibilities. A guy nearby had a nice Larson deck boat that is a 22 or 23 footer with low hours. It was in immaculate shape and had been maintained by one boat shop that is near by for its entire lifespan. I'm hoping he still has it. If not, my mechanic is telling me he knows of a Chaparral that is being readied for sale. Whatever happens, I'll have high confidence in the boat and its history or I won't buy it. I'll wait as long as necessary for the right boat.

I'll keep you posted. Hopefully, we'll be on the water within two or three weeks. Thanks for the support!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:08 pm 

here's a few I found on Craigslist.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/1745390450.html
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/1756193377.html
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/1740758346.html

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:26 am 

Check out Grandsportcenter.com. They have three different used ones on there website. They are in Illinois so not to far for you.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:35 am 
Shark

I'm beginning to feel better, thanks to you guys. I really appreciate the links and will be investigating them soon. My row boat will be returned next week and I'll have my money back then and can start over. I really like the Funships and that's what I hope to get, but will consider others. The local Larson was sold. Wisconsin and Illinois are both close enough, if I can find a reputable mechanic to check out the boat before I make the trip.

Keep the prospects coming. My walle should be loaded back up at the end of next week. The top of my price range is about $21k but I prefer to stay under 20k.

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:14 pm 
Shark

I get my money back Sunday for my 254, so I'll be on the market when the check clears, which should be early in the week.

Keep links coming for Funships for sale. I prefer 234 or larger, but would consider a 224, possibly.

Thanks!

Dan