www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:36 pm 
Guppy

Let my start by saying I purchased my 2002 214FS in December, had it delivered in April, and LOVE IT! A great Craigslist purchase! What I discovered upon getting my used boat is that I have no key to lock the changing room. I would like to keep whatever I leave on the boat (various tools, safety gear, etc) locked up when I leave the boat in my slip at the marina, but no key...no locked changing room. I called my local dealer and he said I'd have to purchase a completely new lock assembly for $170+....it has to be easier than that.

There is one screw holding the lock assembly in place, but upon removal, I still cannot get the entire assembly to budge. Anyone out there know how to remove the changing room lock assembly, so I can bring it to my local locksmith and have a key made? Thanks in advance for your help.
:?:
JC
Louisville, KY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:04 pm 
wkearney99

Can't say as I've never seen that setup. Might help if you could post a picture.

Me, I'd give up and just have the locksmith come to the boat, or take the boat there on the trailer.

As for marina safety and locks..hahahaha... ok..... give me a few minutes to stop laughing.... At best all you'll do is keep the idle hands out of it. For anyone intent on theft the locks on boats are merely an inconvenience. They'll just ruin the rest of the door prying it open. Pretty much anything you'd be likely to store is going to cost a LOT less than what repairing that door costs. I've generally found it simpler to leave things unlocked and keep nothing of value on board.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:03 pm 
email admin your custom rank

JC - welcome to the site.

Don't know the answer to your question, but I'll try to take a look at mine when I get home. I'll also look to see if there is any type of code on my key (wouldn't be surprised if that particular key/lock is generic...).

Besides that though, Bill is right - I wouldn't leave anything of any particular value on board.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:43 pm 

Ditto. Leave it unlocked so they take what they want and save the boat. Being a convertible fan, I can say it's happened to me three times over the years. Cut the top, break the dash, steal radio and cds from glove box. If I'd left the door unlocked and the glove box unlocked, I could have saved the hassles of a new top and dashboard.

That said, on my boat, it has that lock, and I got the key with the boat. It is different than the ignition key, by the way. However, I bet there is a number etched into the lock cylinder. With that number, FW should be able to make a new key.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:06 pm 

OK, just remembered to look at the lock and key and somewhat suprisingly to me, it doesn't appear to be generic. There should be a numeric code on the lock which you can see by looking at the inside of the lock (i.e. from the changing room/potti side). The key has a matching number.

Feel free to PM me if you like with the # - if it matches mine, I'd be happy to make a copy and send it to you. Otherwise, as was suggested previously, a dealer "should" be able to order a replacement key.

Erik

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:46 pm 
Sting Ray

There should be a number on the lock, Open the door and look at the slide handle where you would open the door, there should be a number stamped into the handle, For example, number 917.

With that number a four winns dealer can order you a new set of keys only. :wink: Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:13 am 
wkearney99

Bear in mind that no boat vendor makes their own lock (or most other) hardware. For locksets it's common for them to use Mobella as a supplier. So you're not stuck going to just the dealer or FW for replacement stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:55 am 

Good point...

Here are a couple of links I just found:

http://www.fpmarine.com/Latches%20Locks%20Hardware.htm Mine kind of looks like the MF Series under the Mobella Hardware section.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... -keys.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:13 am 
Guppy

Thanks for all your help!