www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:10 pm 
Shark

Well, I'm much happier today. My refund came through for my 254, better known as the Big Rowboat, and my wife and I went up to Michigan and picked up a '99 234. We first looked at it and then looked at each other and said "no way!" The exterior had quite a bit of oxidation on the gel coat and there were a couple of gel coat chips on one of the strakes on the bottom. Also, the rubber bump strip around the outside of the hull was faded, and torn in some spots. The decals were absolutely lifeless from years of sun creeping under the lift canopy under which the boat spent its summers. The trailer did not look very good either, with lots of oxidation on the paint and quite a bit of rust on the white-painted steel trailer wheels.

On closer inspection, however, the only problems really were cosmetic, and looked like they wouldn't take much to fix. The rubber bump strip can easily be replaced, while the metal frame that holds it in is actually in very good shape. The gel coat looks like it can be worked over and brought back to like-new shine, under the care of someone who knows what they are doing. The trailer really has no rust, and mechanically is in great shape. The brakes are excellent, and all the lights worked well. It was only used to hold the boat in the winter and probably had less than 100 miles on it. Again, some good rubbing compound, and it should look great. I will be putting new wheels and tires on, as well. (The tires gave us fits on the way home, with one shedding its tread and damaging a fender).

We climbed up onto the boat, convinced we were going to pass, when the cover was removed and it revealed an interior that looked showroom new! The helm, gauge cluster and captains chair looked like they'd never been touched. Everything worked, including the little interior lights. Under the engine cover was a beautiful 5.7 fuel injected small block that looked like it had hardly been used. (The mechanic who performed regular maintenance on the boat for the last 10 years was there, and said he believed it had nowhere near 100 hours on it, the way the owner used it.) We now decided we needed to reconsider what could be done with the exterior, after seeing how perfect the interior was. We then went for a lake test.

At the lake, we discovered the battery was dead. The mechanic came and jump started it. We idled out into the lake and the overheat warning sounded. The poor guy selling the boat figured that spelled doom for the deal, but I told him I've experienced this kind of thing with impellers before, and told him that's why people change them frequently as a maintenance item. We quickly diagnosed a bad impeller. We found someone to tow us in, and the mechanic went off to get a new one. He brought back a new battery, his took kit, and a new impeller. He showed me how to replace it, which is good to know. He then pulled other hoses to make sure we got the debris from the old impeller. He then pulled the spark plugs and we turned the engine over. He explained that when engines get overheated, they can suck water into the cylinders. He was dead right. When we turned it over, a little bit of water shot out of a couple of the spark plug holes! He did some other checks of different hoses and we turned the engine a number of times to make sure the cylinders were clear. We then buttoned it back up, fired it up, and let it run at a high idle of about 1200 rpm. It sounded and ran great.

We went out into the lake again, and this time put it through its paces. It got on plane nicely (We had 5 adults on board, including 3 big guys, and a full load of fuel.) After she was warmed up, we ran her at WOT. Nice acceleration, and it easily blew past 45 mph, with lots more there. I backed off because there is a 40mph speed limit on the lake. I really liked the way she ran and handled, and the engine sounded like music.

Well, we're going to attack this thing and dump about 1500 or so bucks into getting the exterior up to snuff, including new decals. That includes 5 new tires for the trailer, but I'll hold off awhile on doing anything else to it, and we'll just focus on the boat. I'll probably re-do the bunks over the winter and try to bring the shine back to the paint. If I can't, then I'll just have it painted.

After the boat work, I'll put in the new stereo, speakers, and VHF. At some point, I'll put a nice color fishfinder/gps unit on her. I'll also add an aft and maybe a forward shower for the swim decks. I might also at some point add an extended rear swim deck. I think with so many small kids, we'll need it, but we'll see how it functions without it, first.

We're hoping that on or before July 4, we can get it into the water with the kids on board and have some fun. I think we found a diamond in the rough, and we'll give it a new lease on life. I still can't believe how good the interior of this thing looked. It truly appeared 99% as nice as a brand new boat. Not a spot of dirt, stains, fading, or even a scratch is in that interior.

The best part: I only paid just over 10k for this thing. Even if I dump 2k into it for restoration work, I'll still be ahead by around 4 or 5 thousand compared to what I had paid for the 254 row boat. Not too bad, in my estimation, for something that has many good years of fun left in it!

I'll post pics in a couple weeks. I'll try and take some close-up "before" pics, although with white gel coat, the oxidation might not show up. We'll then post some "after" pics.

Thanks to everyone here for good advice and guidance. I'm glad I was able to find a Four Winns. I liked the styling and layout of these from day 1.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:31 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Congratulations. Looking forward to seeing how your project progresses!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:53 am 
Dolphin

EvilZ wrote:
Congratulations. Looking forward to seeing how your project progresses!

+1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:38 pm 
Clownfish

Congratulations! Enjoy your new Funship.

Weekends on Lake Norman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:20 pm 

Congrats, glad you found a diamond in the rough.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:42 pm 
Lake Michigan - Unsalted

Yeah! Post pix when you can

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:49 pm 
Minnow

Dan,
I read your adventure of getting your new boat. The part about water getting into the engine concerned me so I talked to the mechanic that's going through mine right now. He said, there are two shutters in the exhaust that should keep water from getting to the engine. If the engine overheats the shutters can melt (plastic) and allow water back to the engine.

I'm not sure where their located but plan to ask him when I pickup the boat Thursday. Maybe someone else in the group has experienced the same thing?

I think I have one of the oldest funships(1998) in the group, but look forward to a lot of fun with it this summer. Once I get everything in top shape I'll post what I did and the cost.

Chuck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:38 pm 
Shark

chuckwallace wrote:
Dan,
I read your adventure of getting your new boat. The part about water getting into the engine concerned me so I talked to the mechanic that's going through mine right now. He said, there are two shutters in the exhaust that should keep water from getting to the engine. If the engine overheats the shutters can melt (plastic) and allow water back to the engine.

I'm not sure where their located but plan to ask him when I pickup the boat Thursday. Maybe someone else in the group has experienced the same thing?

I think I have one of the oldest funships(1998) in the group, but look forward to a lot of fun with it this summer. Once I get everything in top shape I'll post what I did and the cost.

Chuck

I'd love to know about those shutters. That's the third opinion I've heard from mechanics since it happened. my mechanic didn't think that scenario was possible and suspected head gaskets, but the thing ran perfectly afterward and the oil looked great. I might send an oil sample to Blackstone labs to see what shows up in it. The thing ran beautifully, though, and the mechanic who was with us appeared to know his stuff. He called it when we shut it down and checked it. The amount of water I saw come out of one of the spark plug holes looked like maybe a tea spoon or possibly a table spoon. It shot right out when we turned the engine over. We did this several times, and that was the only time anything came out. It did not "diesel" when we shut it off after overheating, so I think we caught it before it got too hot.

Let me know what you find about the shutters. That might explain it. If that's it, I wonder what is involved in replacing them?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:57 pm 
Shark

DanW wrote:
chuckwallace wrote:
Dan,

Chuck

I'd love to know about those shutters. That's the third opinion I've heard from mechanics since it happened. my mechanic didn't think that scenario was possible and suspected head gaskets, but the thing ran perfectly afterward and the oil looked great. I might send an oil sample to Blackstone labs to see what shows up in it. The thing ran beautifully, though, and the mechanic who was with us appeared to know his stuff. He called it when we shut it down and checked it. The amount of water I saw come out of one of the spark plug holes looked like maybe a tea spoon or possibly a table spoon. It shot right out when we turned the engine over. We did this several times, and that was the only time anything came out. It did not "diesel" when we shut it off after overheating, so I think we caught it before it got too hot.

Let me know what you find about the shutters. That might explain it. If that's it, I wonder what is involved in replacing them?

I forgot to mention today's action--I got the estimate on all of the boat work today. It includes removing the stickers and pin stripe, a three-step process to bring the gel-coat back to shine, sanding, priming, and painting the skeg and leading edge of the lower unit, fixing gel coat chips on one of the strakes, and polishing a gel-coat scuff on another, fixing a minor gel coat chip on the side, replacing the rubber bump strip that surrounds the boat, replacing and/or repacking the trailer wheel bearings, depending on their condition, repairing the fiberglass around a hinge on the engine cover and reinforcing it, and finally, re-pin striping and applying new stickers (once I find them). I may have left something out, but this seems to be the whole list to get this thing looking like it should. He said his estimate is high, just to be conservative, but he said 1200 bucks would be the absolute max. It sounded reasonable to me, and the guy has a good reputation among other customers.

I'll be taking care of rejouvenating the trailer paint, repairing the tire blow-out damage to the fender, and recovering the side guides, or bunks on the trailer. The main bunks look good enough to wait until winter or even another year before refurbishing them. If I can't get the trailer paint to look good, I'll have it painted over the winter.

I'm a principal at a middle school, and our high school has an autobody and auto mechanics class that can do a complete refurbishing of the brake system on the trailer, as well as painting it with a 7-layer PPG paint, any color I want! All I'll have to do is pay for materials. I had them do some repairs and bodywork on a Tahoe after my wife hit a deer a few years ago, and they did an unbelieveable job. It wound up costing about 300 bucks when the insurance estimates were over $2,000! When I spoke to the teacher today, he seemed eager to take on the trailer work, so I won't be disappointed if the paint can't buff back to a shine.

Sorry to ramble, but this is a lot to do, and I think this boat can be completely tranformed into something wonderful. I'll have just under 14 grand in it, worst case, and that's 3,500 less than I had in the big rowboat. I can't wait to get it done and see how she looks!

I'll try and get some of the before pics tomorrow evening and get them up here. You'll enjoy the pics of the tire that came apart!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:04 am 

I'm not sure if you have a Mercruiser or a Volvo engine.

Volvo used to have shutters or flappers in the exhaust system but actually had a service bulletin to remove them. I remember looking into this when buying my boat because I found one of them (loose under one of the rear seats) when doing a pre-buy inspection. I asked what was up and the broker who is also a Four Winns dealer said they were removed. I did some homework to make sure and the story was legit.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:08 am 
Shark

97_245_sd wrote:
I'm not sure if you have a Mercruiser or a Volvo engine.

Volvo used to have shutters or flappers in the exhaust system but actually had a service bulletin to remove them. I remember looking into this when buying my boat because I found one of them (loose under one of the rear seats) when doing a pre-buy inspection. I asked what was up and the broker who is also a Four Winns dealer said they were removed. I did some homework to make sure and the story was legit.

Mine is a '99 Volvo, so I have no idea. It was professionally maintained as far as winterizing each year, by a big marine outfit, so I'd hope they found the service bulletin. Do you know what years the bulletin covered? I could probably find it on Volvo's website.

I wonder why they removed them? Maybe the melting?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:20 pm 

I think found it on the Volvo website.

Yes, I think it was because they melted and they supposedly found out they didn't always work to keep the water out anyway.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:05 pm 
Minnow

Dan,

I talked to the mechanic working on my boat today and he confirmed my 1998 had the flappers. I've asked him to remove them.

He commented if the flappers melted, you should change out the bellows that connects the flappers because they can become brittle. I plan to replace mine while he's removing the flappers.

There's also a bulletin for the exhaust riser gasket on all V-8's, so he's changing it....

FYI
Chuck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:41 pm 
Shark

chuckwallace wrote:
Dan,

I talked to the mechanic working on my boat today and he confirmed my 1998 had the flappers. I've asked him to remove them.

He commented if the flappers melted, you should change out the bellows that connects the flappers because they can become brittle. I plan to replace mine while he's removing the flappers.

There's also a bulletin for the exhaust riser gasket on all V-8's, so he's changing it....

FYI
Chuck

My mechanic is mainly a Mercruiser guy, so I'll need to be really specific to describe it to him. Does Volvo refer to them as "flappers" or do they have another technical name for them?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:31 am 
Minnow

Dan,

I was able to find the info for my engine, part #8 and #25 at this site:
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Exhaust- ... _id.312928

They do call it a flapper...

Chuck