www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:08 pm 
Shark

Ok, fixed the problem with the pics!

Here's some pics. The pictures don't do justice to how dull the gel coat looks on the exterior. It looks pretty weathered in person. However, we buffed a test section, and it came out beautifully!

I buffed a test section of the trailer with a mild rubbing compound and it came out gorgeous! I'll be finishing the trailer off over the next few days, and then putting some chromed wheels on it. I'll also be fixing the side bunks, which you can see, are in need of attention.

This thing will look brand new when we're done with it. Hopefully, that will be in less than 2 weeks.

There's lots of this kind of pitting or crud on the upper half of the gel coat. It will clean up nicely, though, with some work.

The rub rail is a mess. New rubber coming tomorrow!

Old, oxidized, weathered, dull trailer paint. Same camera, distance, and lighting, so the difference is visible here.

Reborn after a short buff with mild restoring paste:

Hull damage to be repaired. The biggest is about the size of a quarter.

The interior, which is awesome, doesn't need much, if any, attention. I'll be adding a new stereo with Ipod jack, new Polk speakers, a VHF radio, and a gps/fishfinder. I'm down to a color Garmin or Lowrance unit. Can't decide. I might go all out for a Lowrance HD-5, but it costs some big bucks!

I'll post as things get done!

Last edited by DanW on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:10 pm 
Shark

chuckwallace wrote:
Dan,

I was able to find the info for my engine, part #8 and #25 at this site:
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Exhaust- ... _id.312928

They do call it a flapper...

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck! I'll check it out!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:57 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Congratulations Dan. She certainly appears to be a diamond in the rough.

All the money your spending will easily be recouped next year when you decide to sell it and go bigger :lol: I trully believe she wll be very cramped for your family of 10 plus friends however maybe you will be able to make it work.

We're glad to have you around and please keep us posted on your progress.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:42 pm 
Dolphin

Looks great!! Congrats! Keep us posted on your progress.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:23 pm 
Shark

millhaven_nice_guy wrote:
Congratulations Dan. She certainly appears to be a diamond in the rough.

All the money your spending will easily be recouped next year when you decide to sell it and go bigger :lol: I trully believe she wll be very cramped for your family of 10 plus friends however maybe you will be able to make it work.

We're glad to have you around and please keep us posted on your progress.

Who knows? It would take something like another 254 or 264 to cross my path, but in the mean time, I'm liking this thing more and more as the crud and age gets wiped away, one piece at a time.

I had another idea today to spruce up the trailer--chromed diamond plate step areas on top of the fenders, and on the step area at the rear quarters of the trailer. Should look nice!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:31 am 

DanW wrote:
I had another idea today to spruce up the trailer--chromed diamond plate step areas on top of the fenders, and on the step area at the rear quarters of the trailer. Should look nice!

Look through my posts...I've got a diamond plate step plate I added to the tongue of my trailer....pics are on here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:50 pm 
Shark

firecadet613 wrote:
DanW wrote:

Look through my posts...I've got a diamond plate step plate I added to the tongue of my trailer....pics are on here.

Where's a good place around here to get the diamond plate?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:23 pm 

I've seen it at Lowe's...I had a forum member make me mine. Lowe's has some small sections of sheet metal and diamond plate..not to expensive I don't think.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:31 pm 
Shark

firecadet613 wrote:
I've seen it at Lowe's...I had a forum member make me mine. Lowe's has some small sections of sheet metal and diamond plate..not to expensive I don't think.

Great! I'll be getting the dimensions I need tomorrow off of the trailer, and I'll head over there and see what I can get. I think I'm going to rivet them onto the fenders and side steps.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:38 pm 
Guppy

Dan,

Seen the pics of your boat, great find. Can you let me know how you posted the pictures, still looking for info on a 1999 214 and thought I might post a few pictures. Any chance of getting a shot of your engine compartment and rear of your boat, wanted to see if it might be similiar to the 214. Again, congratulations, and enjoy your new boat

Ski

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:39 pm 
Shark

Ski1491 wrote:
Dan,

Seen the pics of your boat, great find. Can you let me know how you posted the pictures, still looking for info on a 1999 214 and thought I might post a few pictures. Any chance of getting a shot of your engine compartment and rear of your boat, wanted to see if it might be similiar to the 214. Again, congratulations, and enjoy your new boat

Ski

I went to Photobucket.com, created an account, created a folder, and copied the memory card from my camera into it. Then, each picture, when you pull it up, has options to the lower left. Look for the option that says "Direct Link". Copy the link, and then on your post, hit "Img" which you'll see on the posting tool bar, right above the text box. Then, paste it in between the marks. Make sure you don't accidentally erase one of the brackets, or it won't work. I accidentally did that and spent 20 minutes trying to figure out what I did wrong.

When I get back to the boat, I'll have to get some more shots of the rear. For now, here's a shot of the engine compartment. There was some rainwater in the bilge that I was getting ready to drain.

That's the best I've got for now. Does your 214 have U-shaped seating in the rear? The 234 in '99 only had "L" shape. I wish it had the "U". What year is your 214?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:17 am 
Guppy

DAn,

Thanks for the info, here's what I got. As you can see lots of work ahead. Ignore the engine sticking up, that's comming out this weekend. You will see the engine cover as well as the entire back rest is gone. Trying to understand how it was fabricated and how the vent hosed were routed. I also posted a pic of how it is supposed to look.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:24 am 
Shark

Wow, you've got your work cut out for you! It will be fun, though. I'm starting to enjoy restoration projects, even though I have next to nothing in the way of mechanical ability or knowledge.

What engine does (or will) it have?

I've got a neighbor that just refurbished a '94 runabout that went from stinker to looking virtually new. He's giving me some ideas on my 234, but mine is in nowhere near as bad a shape as his was. His has really inspired me, though. He just put the finishing touch on it--new cockpit and bow covers. I'll see if I can get a couple of pics of it soon and post them. It really was a Franken-boat before he worked it over.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:33 am 
Dolphin

Wow Dan. Engine looks brand new! The water in your bilge reminded me - One problem I have with mine (and I'm sure this is common to most i/o's) is that the drain hole gets plugged up with debris (leaves, dirt, etc) and it's very hard to get at to clean out since it's directly below the back of the motor. I'm constantly having to clear it out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:15 am 
Shark

flaMtneer wrote:
Wow Dan. Engine looks brand new! The water in your bilge reminded me - One problem I have with mine (and I'm sure this is common to most i/o's) is that the drain hole gets plugged up with debris (leaves, dirt, etc) and it's very hard to get at to clean out since it's directly below the back of the motor. I'm constantly having to clear it out.

The engine is sweet. My mechanic is a real pessimistic guy that never says anything complimentary, but he looked at it and said he was impressed with it. (He's a good mechanic, that's why I put up with his sh@*)

That has to be it. I was thinking that the self-bailing drains or tube from the drains must be kinked or clogged because that water shouldn't have gotten in there. Maybe the tube is disconnected under there? We have had tons of rain, but it still should have gone out the bailing holes.

I'll be relying on you for all the little things like this that you have learned over the years! I'm dying to get this think in the water. My goal is just before the July 4 weekend. I'd like to watch some fireworks on the lake on July 4, too!

My wheels arrive next Wednesday, and that's when the ball will really get rolling with this thing. Once I can move it, I can bring it home and get some stuff done in the driveway.